An incredible day on Adams and Madison - 1/23

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marty

Reaction score
Rols, Tuco and I decided to try Madison today. We heard of forecasted high winds, but decided to give it a go anyway and headed up the Valley Way. The hike up was very pleasant and did not seem too cold. We ran into a few people along the way, including a group that included Bob and Geri :cool:. Great to see you again, folks. Bob also told me that Silver Fox passed us when we were having a break. Sorry we didn't get to meet, dude!

We started getting a sample of what was to come on the Valley Way, with views like this:

ry%3D480

We eventually got to the hut and encountered some wind, but nothing too terrible. Views were incredible and no clouds could be found anywhere. Rols suggested that since conditions were so good, that we should give Adams a try and then maybe do Madison on the way back. Tuco and I agreed and we decided to switch from snowshoes to crampons, although either would have worked. There were several other people heading up Adams when we did:

ry%3D480

Here's Rols at the Airline/Gulfside junction:

ry%3D480

Here is a lone hiker on top of Quincy Adams:

ry%3D480

Winds got stiff as we got further up Adams. Snow was blowing and footprints faded. I decided to do a direct shot up the summit (steep and rough), while Rols and Tuco eventually found the trail proper. I got to the summit first and quickly got out of the wind and snapped this photo of Wildcat and the Mt. Washington Auto Road:

ry%3D480

I eventually was joined by Rols and Tuco. Here's Tuco just below the summit:

ry%3D480

Tuco then snapped a shot of me just below the summit:

ry%3D480

We then descended and decided to tag Madison. I noticed that a half moon was right over the summit of Madison and took this cool shot:

ry%3D480

The views going up and down Madison were INCREDIBLE. We took our time and tried to take it all in. We ran into a couple named Kelly and Pete. who so kindly took a group shot of Rols, Tuco and me:

ry%3D480

We then headed down, switched into snowshoes and quickly descended Valley Way and back to our vehicles. This was one amazing hike and my favorite winter one yet. Always great to hike with my dear pals Rols and Tuco. Thanks for everything guys!

Marty

Great to run into you guys today. We made it to Washington in time to watch the sunset before heading down - great day to be up there!

What a day for the high peaks! Snow pack to the summits, good visibility, strong sun and moderate winds.... a perfect day. Marty, thanks for the pictures and tr. report (you and your new camera make a good team). As always...the best of companions (you and Tuco) made the day. It was great meeting folks throughout the hike....they were all as psyched as we were to be out.

The winds did appear to be on the low side of the OBS/KMWN MOS forecast, but nowhere near the <10 that NOAA had predicted. Here is yesterday's actual conditions log. Looks like 20-30MPH and temps around 12 degrees +/-. From the photos I am surprised not to see more full face masks and goggles - which is partly why I chose to skip the high peaks yesterday - me and my sweat/fog freezing is not too much fun.

20100123_180737_conditions-vi.png

Tim

Tim - I think winds and temps were in the range that you suspected, but winds were perhaps a tad higher near & at the top of Adams. We all chose both goggles and face masks for descending Adams, where the wind was blowing right at us. It was not quite severe enough to state that they were a necessity. Some folks used goggles and face masks and some did not.

Bob - great to see you and Geri on multiple occasions yesterday. I think we saw your group ascending Jefferson at one point. Great job on tagging Madison, Adams, Jefferson AND Washington. WOW. :cool::D

Paradox and Silver Fox, sorry we missed you. Hopefully we will meet soon.

Mike and Rols, thanks for the replies. Hope our paths cross soon. Rols, it has been an amazing three Saturdays together, tagging the Hancocks, Lincoln and now this. Sorry I will probably have to break the streak next weekend, but I think I am booked solid.

Best regards,
Marty

Great pics!

Nice TR and great pics, Marty! I had been invited to join Silverfox to hike M&A, so might have seen you up there Saturday, but I had also been invited to Oquossoc, which won out. I kept an eye on things around Mooselook over the weekend for you!

KDT

Marty, Tuco, & Rols,

Sorry we missed you. Our change in hike plan had us heading for Jefferson first and away from the Madison/Adams area before you guys made it up. We were back in the area later in the day well after you guys left I'm sure.

I was a little surprised not to see Rols at the trailhead when we arrived. :rolleyes: Actually, I did check.

All things coinsidered, it was a pretty nice day.

Thanks for the replies, everyone :)

Earl, we wanted to join your party, but due to evening activities (mine being work), we opted for a later start - even Rols ;). So glad you had a great hike, too! Nice job.

Kevin - thanks for evoking memories of Mooselook. Hope we can get together and hike there sometime, or at least sit on the dock or something :cool:.

Tuco - thanks for posting your pix. Some great stuff, bro.

Marty

Congratulations!

Congratulations gentlemen on having such great weather for a splendid trip and making the right call on the weather and going for Adams and Madison! Jan 23 was a steller day to be out and above treeline. Great pictures by you and Tuco. I checked out Tuco's Smugmug albums.

Smugmug looks like a pretty cool photo site. I think I'll post an album there of a Mt Roberts hike I did recently just for a test.