Baby Steps... Holt Hill

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SherpaKroto

Reaction score
No Reading, MA Avatar: Crater Rim, Mt Rainier, 8/4
I'm sitting here trying to find some witty way to write this down, yet nothing seems to come. Today was a big day in my recovery. It will seem small to most, but to me it felt as good as if I climbed Everest (ok, not quite, but close :rolleyes: ). Today was the first view that I earned since my accident on 3/19. I managed to climb Holt Hill in Andover with my dog Allie. A staggering 200 foot vertical over a 2 mile round trip :eek: . I was completely exhausted when I reached the solstice stones at the top. I must have looked a fright as I sat there: the only 2 people I saw wouldn't even come near me (in fact they stopped 50 feet short ofthe stones and turned around :eek: ). It was incredibly therapeutic to sit and look at the Boston skyline nearly 30 miles away.

A trip report like this one probably sounds a bit self-serving to some of you, but that's not my intention. So many of you have been incredibly caring, generous and kind to me through all this. This has helped to push me TREMENDOUSLY. I still have a ways to go, but it is in large part to all of the cards, packages, calls, visits, posts, and friends that I'm at least as far as I am. It's still sinking in how lucky I am to have survived that fall, and even more to have friends like all of you to encourage me to continue to get better. So all I'm trying to say to all of you is thank you! I'm not back yet, but I'm at least walking (stumbling) uphill again! :D

Yeah, yeah, yeah.............. But, is it on a list anywhere :cool:

This trip report is a long time coming my friend. I'm just one on the throngs that will be proud to read it. Keep putting one foot in front of the other, brother. We're all in this with you, spiritually speaking of course. :)

Last edited:
mavs00 said:
Yeah, yeah, yeah.............. But, is it on a list anywhere :cool:
Does County High Point count? :eek: Let's put it this way, I walked 1/2 mile on flat ground on Memorial Day, and that felt like a marathon. I finally walked 2 miles 3 weeks ago, again on mostly flat ground: one 20 foot hill nearly did me in. I told my neighbor to come looking for me if I wasn't back in an hour. He didn't wait the full hour, and came jogging by after 20 minutes. I have many stewards watching over me.

Today felt great. Finally, a view!

I promised you long ago that Pat would be happy to push your wheelchair around the Fells! He is overjoyed to hear that won't be necessary! But he would gladly join you on your next outing.

As we get older and our trip reports cover less ground, those days in the mountains still mean the world to us and we can still happily share them with the VFTT community. You can't even get older until you get better, good deal!

This is AWESOME news, Sherp! I remember well our x-c skiing trip there, and recall that the view is indeed spectacular.

And, hey, if you didn't keep pushing yourself like you are, you wouldn't have been able to do Holt Hill. So keep going at it, and I know you'll keep going farther, faster and higher. Onward and upward!!! :D

Sherpa,

I don't know you personally, and I don't even know the extent of your injuries from March. But you are absolutely the man, for being out there pushing! Great job. So many of us (myself included) take perfect health for granted. But we'll all eventually face a challenge. Thanks for leading the way!

TCD

Awesome! It really does reflect on you, how well this recovery is going. Here's hoping the steps continue!
:)

Yeah, I am putting togther a Views and Scoops list. I don't give a cr*p how tall or short the hill is, so long as there is ice cream at the end!

Congrats SherpaK, this is a trip report that we've been waiting to hear! :D

Jay

WOW Sherp that is GREAT!!!!! sounds like to me your making a speedy recovery. Anytime your in the Daks look me up I would be glad to join you or you join me :D I plan on finishing the 46 next August on Giant if your interested ;)

Glad to hear your doing well keep up the hard and rewarding work! YOU DA MAN.

SherpaK thank God you finally got out of bed!
You climed a hill...it must have felt like a mountain.
That is such good news! Can't wait to climb with you again.
See you on Wildcat D.

Sherpa, congrats on your summit. It sounds like the effort was well worth the views. Nothing wrong with starting small and moving up.

Jay, is there a patch for the views and scoops?

About time you quit slackin' :p

Keep the great 'tude. The body can do amazing things if the mind allows it to.