Connecticut hiker carried off Appalachian Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah yes, the UL comment section.

Full of knuckle-dragging gems, the gist of which is generally:

"Stupid hikers! Stop getting hurt and costing me imaginary tax dollars!"

I always enjoy the comments on these stories.[/QUOTE said:
Depending on my mood, I agree. These days, I want to form a "gang" to write those stupid, ignorant newspaper readers letters to put them in their places. Their fingers must be worn out by typing against what they know not of.

oh man!

I used to hike alone, but then I got an imaginary friend to come along. Conversation sucks, but at least I am being safe.

Actually, this time the comments are pretty restrained for the UL. :rolleyes:

I particularly like this one:

I wish the UL would start reporting on "rescues" of people who need help because their lack of activity has caused them to lose their health prematurely.

:cool:

Never hike alone?

Well, duh. If you don't hike with a buddy, who will be there to laugh at you when you fall and break something?

Stinkyfeet - I loved that one, too. I do wonder if the tameness has anything to do with the new registration requirements :rolleyes:

I liked that one, too, Stinkyfeet, and wondered if there was a hiker who had had enough bashing and is starting to comment back.

"she broke her left leg,just above her hiking boot"....Did she break her shin bone? Thats a new one.The leg must have got stuck and then moved the wrong way....Would like to know more details if any one has a link.....

"she broke her left leg,just above her hiking boot"....Did she break her shin bone? Thats a new one.The leg must have got stuck and then moved the wrong way....Would like to know more details if any one has a link.....

This sounds like a classic skier's boot-top fracture from the era when ski boots were leather and lace-up. It was usually Tibia and Fibula (at least in my Mom's broken leg).

This sounds like a classic skier's boot-top fracture from the era when ski boots were leather and lace-up. It was usually Tibia and Fibula (at least in my Mom's broken leg).

The original account doesn't say which bones were broken. Both the tibia and fibula broken, just the tibia broken, or just the fibula broken are all consistent with the description.

Doug

I am glad that I rode alone 15 miles of trail tonight instead of hiked. I wouldn't want to be caught hiking alone, let alone out after dark:eek: Now am I allowed to trail run alone? it's not hiking right?