Coolest Place You've Ever Slept?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The coolest place I've slept at was under the stars at a local scout reservation. It was beautiful to sit there the next day and look above you and see the trees from a different perspective. Most of all the air was salubrious for spring and added to the experience.

I once slept on top of Mt. Elbert in CO, to determine if I could stay above 14,000ft for 8 hrs with no ill effects. The sunrise made me realize what being a mountain climber really meant.

A few that I always remember... pics should help describe:

-Nipmuck trail, CT - First backpacking trip. On my own. A gentle hill with a great sunset and sunrise.

-Pogy Pond, Baxter - No one there... awesome view of the Knife's Edge and the start to my week long backpack of the park.

-Lauterbrunnen, Switzerland - magical setting

-Bear Mountain, CT - always wanted to camp out on my home peak... and it didn't disappoint ;)

-Devil's Tower, WY - great energy and the place was empty in the off season.

-Standard bivy - Fighting every inch of laziness paid off in this midnight solo ascent and bivy. One of my most non-relaxing sleeps, but in a good, energizing wired way. :D

-Mt Baker,WA - Arm will attest... you just didn't want to go to sleep. Baker behind you and the Puget Sound gleaming in the sunset in front of you... blessed.

-Mt Adams, sunrise camp - 2nd giggy... we had that whole side of the mountain to ourselves, great weather, great climbing, great friends. I have many good memories from that trip with you folks.

Frodo said:
Several winters ago, myself and a few friends slept on the middle of Chimney Pond on the ice in nothing more than our sleeping bags and pads. It was a gorgeous night with the moon rising, no wind, and lots-o-stars. Definitely one of the most memorable places I have ever slept...
Frodo: yes, it was one I'll never forget. Morning View after successful winter ascents on Katahdin and Hamlin peaks

Totally agree with Carole and JohnL. Carole, her husband, Michelle, Chomp and I finished our 67 that day. Does anyone know how to say "Northern Lights" in Polish ;)

Also the morning after Rainier up at Camp Muir was really sweet. I remember getting up and seeing the sun shine through Marco and Yvonne's tent and an amazing view of the valley below. JayH should remember that.

Just remembered another one: Hale summit the night of the first US/Soviet space station link. A VERY strange night. A small rabbit came and sat at our campfire all night. My friend Leo woke up over 400 feet away, down the Firewarden's Trail from the fire. His only recollection was that he wasn't comfortable and moved his sleeping bag "a few feet". This was when Hale had views, and Tom did not.

Last edited:
Last summer we had the great fortune to "christen" the new lean-to at Wassataquoick Lake- the island is always great, even better with the lean-to

Alaska Basin in the Tetons, especially with interactive mother & calf moose, hail storm and then a clear starstudded evening :D

I know we aren't supposed to say places that may have had something to a bit of hoochie sauce, but a long time ago, before I was even a hiker, I did some partying and slept on point judith (coast of RI). That was pretty cool waking up on the beach. :D

New Year's Eve at Fischer Camp on Kilimanjaro - our friend's "Happy New Years" sign that she brought with her flapped in the wind hitting her tent all night, kept us all up...didn't matter :)

First Hut Trip with the Girl Scouts at Mizpah - I was in 6th grade and it was my first overnight in the mountains. A small group of us got up early and hiked up to Pierce just after sunrise.

Grand Teton National Park - heard weird noises just before dawn and woke to 2 moose right in our camp.

Dirt floor of a house in Honduras in 99 degree heat with humidity (reached 116 during the day) with a group of fellow Heifer Project volunteers - we were there to build a house, we were pretty much in the middle of nowhere, had to hike to get there...

On the Salcantay trek to Macchu Picchu in Peru...We camped at Soraypampa on our first night (12,631 feet) and it was a cold, cold night. Fortunately I came prepared with a huge down parka, good sleeping bag, hat, mittens, and even toe warmers! But even with all that I was cold through the night. We woke in the morning to an incredible sunrise of brightly-lit pink and golden snow on both Umantay and Salcantay, we were all excited and the night’s trials were quickly forgotten.

-katie

Every campout seems to have a special memory, view or sound to make it last beyond the actual event. Two occasions stand out in my memory, however.

An unprepared bivouac with my son on a damp summer night in the mountains of northern Maine, largely to the lessons and self assurance gained and the fun we had with the event afterwards.

Many years ago on board the Coast Guard's training barque Eagle, during tropical nights I'd sleep on the forecastle deck wedged against the anchor winch as the ship gently rolled and phosphorescent streamers passed under the bow.

I just returned from paddling the Yukon River Quest. I'd have to say that an amazing sleep happened on the river in a voyageur canoe, dozing while still paddling between 60 count "hut" switch strokes as the most mesmerizing sleep I've ever had. At 2:00 AM (time of maximum "darkness") the midnight sun sky was still bright blue, but eylids and body functions grew heavy.

At 7:00 AM on the second "morning" we arrived at a mandatory 3 hour rest stop at Kirkman Landing. It was at a decrepit old log cabin accessable only by miles of river, operated by an older couple who served us sandwiches and soup. We slept for a couple of hours on the bare ground next to the river. It was some of the most sound and refreshing sleep I've ever had. It felt good that we had only 100 more miles to paddle before the finish line at Dawson.

On a $20,000 Mink Bedspread

Although I didn't sleep or even take a nap, I once sacked out on a $20,000 Mink bedspread on Vice President Nelson Rockefeller's bed during his short tenure as USVP. For about a minute.......he was not at home......

One that comes to my mind is sleeping under the stars at Little Yosemite Valley campground near half Dome..not much sleep with the excitement of rock climbing Half Dome the next day and deer roaming all around our sleeping bags...incredible location and beautifull stars

http://picasaweb.google.com/hikerdd13/Yosemite/photo#5216608021619065010

Another time is the first night on the Inka Trail, Xmas night '07, views that only Santa could of brought me.

http://picasaweb.google.com/hikerdd13/MachuPicchuTheInkaTrail/photo#5155462684413382450

Spending New Year's Eve '08 in the Amazon jungle in my netted bed..great memories!!!

http://picasaweb.google.com/hikerdd13/AmazonJungleManuPeru/photo#5156185269711272770 :rolleyes:

Frodo said:
Several winters ago, myself and a few friends slept on the middle of Chimney Pond on the ice in nothing more than our sleeping bags and pads. It was a gorgeous night with the moon rising, no wind, and lots-o-stars. Definitely one of the most memorable places I have ever slept...

Hey!!!! I resemble that remark :D :D :D