Coolest Place You've Ever Slept?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
26' Soling Sailboat between Jackson Hole & Chi town

O.K. this needs quite an explanation. I was 19 years old. My best friend and climbing partner and I hitchiked out to the Tetons the summer of '72. We climbed for a couple of weeks and with our money running out decided we needed to find a way back home.

We thought we had a ride lined up with a fellow climber who'd been sharing the same cabin at the Climber's Ranch but instead of returning to pick us up after his last climb he just disappeared (not on the mountain, just afterward.)

Needless to say we were kind of discouraged. We especially didn't relish the idea of hitching back through Wyoming. We'd almost gotten beaten up outside of Laramie.

It was my idea to cruise the campground at Jenny Lake and ask drivers with eastern plates if they wanted to give a lift to a couple of people on their ride home. We didn't find anyone who was willing or able and were trudging our way back to the C.R. when we passed a station wagon with a sailboat in tow parked outside of the hdqtrs building. My friend was a pretty competitive sailor so he went inside to see what the story was behind the boat.

Not too long afterward he came running up to me and said that if we could get all of our gear together within the next half hour we had a ride lined up as far as Chicago. We raced back to the C.R. and I just grabbed a tarp and we threw every piece of gear we had onto it. We gathered it up like some kind of gargantuan hobo's bag and dragged it out to where the station wagon was waiting. The driver of the wagon was named Scott Stokes and had been a crew member for the owner of the Soling which had been out in the S.F. bay area for the Olympic trials. He was taking it back to Chicago. He was happy to have the company on the remainder of his ride.

Scott wound his way home through northern Wyoming seeing the sights in places like Cody. We took at least three days and two nights to get as far as Chi town. At night Scott slept in the back of the wagon. He suggested we sleep in the cockpit of the Soling. My rainfly, guyed out over the shipped mast and boom covered the cockpit quite nicely and we slept warm and dry for those two nights.

We actually managed to get another ride all the way to the Lee exit on the Mass. Pike from just outside of Chicago without ever having to get out of Scott's car (but that's another part of the story.)

The nights I spent in the Soling popped into my head with Roadtripper's thread title. I'm not sure my friend Roger would have the same reaction since it competes in his mind with such later things as nights spent in a Portaledge on El Cap among other places.

I've attached a picture of a Soling in case you're wondering what it looks like.

Grumpy said:
Opportunity to sleep in a leanto at the head of Indian Falls in the Adirondack High Peaks is long gone. I am privileged to have done this several nights, including during the last year or so the leanto was there. It was a great spot for a trail shelter.

G.
Cool. Me, you and Pete Hickey, that I know of. My stay there was in Feb, probably 1973. Very cool spot and one of my coldest nights out, to date, probably about -20.

A few posters here might remember a night in Baxter SP watching the northern lights from the field near our site. :D

Yes, Carole, that was a night (and weekend) to remember. The sights that night were certainly other-worldly.

My scariest cool place was on the summit of Mt Avalon in Crawford Notch during a much-too-close lightning and rain storm over Memorial weekend 1978. I thought for sure we were going to get cooked. Here is our camp and this is how close we were to the summit.

I was fortunate enough to sleep in many cool places during my four months in the Annapurna region of Nepal and the Karakorum in Pakistan. Here are two of them: Concordia, with a nice view of K2 from our tent doorway and K2 Base Camp with K2 rising on the left and Broad Peak on the right. Not a bad place to spend a couple nights.

JohnL

Belvidiere Mountain in Vermont..one 4th of July we braved the old fire warden's cabin on the summit and were treated to fireworks all up and down Lake Champlain..very cool

A close second was also in Vermont..on a crystal clear night one september we stayed on the observation tower at Castlerock,,stars and shooting stars everywhere...

Top of Bondcliff. Top of Isolation.

Lakeside, Gates of the Arctic NP, Alaska

top of Half Dome, Yosemite NP after an all day climb up Snake Dyke. While this is illegal now, I think it was legal then (1993) and it was safer to stay on top then to decent the cableway in our state of exhaustion.

Early one hot summer evening while doing a shift at a college radio station, I got a call for a request. It came from a close friend who was packing for a trip to Sculptured Rocks. He wanted me to play something to get him stoked for the trip. I asked when he was leaving. He hoped to be on the road in a couple of hours. My shift was ending soon, so I asked him to come by and pick me up. We headed north and found a place to spend the night on a fire road near Sculptured rocks. We had a couple beers then settled in the van in our sleeping bags. I found it crowded and stuffy, so I got out and climbed on the roof of the van with my bag. I was treated to the most amazing display of meteor showers. To this day I've never seen anything close.

alaska

definately not hiking/camping, but while vacationing.
probaly the night i slept on the balcony of a cruise ship from skagway to glacier bay. i opted not to sleep in the cabin, but rather take the bedding out of the cabin to the balcony. Truly amazing views, crystal clear night and temps in the 60's. was not bad at all.

Here's a few of mine...

Ten Mile River campsite on the AT in Connecticut. It was my first backpacking trip.

On the "beach" a short way above Greenleaf Hut, after they closed for the season, on a crystal clear October night.

On top of South Baldface, watching the sun set over the Wildcats, Carters, and Pressies.

On an exposed ledge of an island in Cupsuptic Lake during a Northern Lights display.

Wassataquoik Stream lean-to in BSP. Nobody was in the other site. It was a rare "all alone" night out.

-vegematic

Last edited:
Tent on the beach on Boyse Key in Exuma,Bahamas.Spectacular sunsets,plenty of rum and pineapple juice.fresh conch salad. Wake up to white sand and turquoise water and palms.

Tent on the beach,Aialik Bay,Alaska. No sunsets,no sunrises,just daylight,and bears,lots of bears,and eagles,and sea otters,and coyotes,but mostly,lots of bears. Wake up to view of a spectacular glacier and mountains.

Side of the road, somewhere in western Nepal, on a two days bus journey from Kathmandu to New Delhi. Strangest... almost surreal... villagers crept up to see what we were.

Tent, violent thunderstorm, Assateague Island. Awoke to dolphins feeding on a school of bluefish. Breathtaking.

1) Rongbuk Monastery, Everest Valley, Tibet... a couple miles down from Tibetan base camp and the glacier... the monks kindly put us up for the night. A stunning granite moonscape, Everest absolutely fills the view. The night sky was pure blue velvet dusted with billions of shards of diamond. Even with a constantly thumping head from the altitude, it was unquestionably the most inspiring place I have ever been. Even the toilets had an inspiring view (being basically a platform on the top of a five-foot high stone structure with a 1-foot wall around it -- and dividing men's from ladies'. It was a very convivial crapper).

2) 42-foot center-console sailboat, on our honeymoon at Tobago Cay in the Grenadine Islands, just north of Grenada. It's an uninhabited ring of coral with a shallow sandy anchorage (so only small and carefully piloted boats can visit), a protective ring-reef that drops off in a near-vertical wall to blue-water depths. The deep-water pelagics swam by in a constant parade, and you could hang on the edge with a mask and snorkel and feel like you were part of the limitless depths. At night, again, a billion stars, local lobster grilled on the rail, good French wine provisioned in Martinique, and falling asleep to the gentle rocking of the waves dampened by the barrier reef.

Not too far behind: a very cold night in November some 25 years ago, in a three-season bag, Hermit Lake Shelter... it was so cold I woke up long before sun-up, and was treated to a light-show of stars over the Carter-Moriah range, and one of the most beautiful sunrises I have ever seen.

DrewKnight said:
Tobago Cay in the Grenadine Islands, just north of Grenada. It's an uninhabited ring of coral with a shallow sandy anchorage (so only small and carefully piloted boats can visit), a protective ring-reef that drops off in a near-vertical wall to blue-water depths. The deep-water pelagics swam by in a constant parade, and you could hang on the edge with a mask and snorkel and feel like you were part of the limitless depths. At night, again, a billion stars, local lobster grilled on the rail, good French wine provisioned in Martinique, and falling asleep to the gentle rocking of the waves dampened by the barrier reef.

Ha! i've dived that reef. IIRC it either called 'World's End' or 'Horshoe' reef. And I've also slept MANY nights under the carribean stars in the cockpit of sailboats down there, usually with a M11 assualt rifle and 357 Magnum by my side... ;)