Do you like fluff? I like fluff.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you like fluff?

• Fluff is good.

Votes: 38 37.6%
  • Some fluff is okay, as long as it isnt gross

Votes: 29 28.7%
  • I have no opinion on fluff

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • I hate fluff

Votes: 13 12.9%
  • I eat fluff

Votes: 12 11.9%

• Total voters

sleeping bear

Reaction score
Alright, so I'll be honest, the whole "sorry for posting something that might not have been seen as quality discussion content" crap makes me nauseated. Come on, the nuts and bolts gear head convos can only be sustained for so long, so the fluff makes for nice interludes. And hey, a lot can be learned for folks' horror stories, even if there are already books upon books with the same stuff.

Besides, let's face it, at least half the content here (at least general backcountry) is fluff-

Banning crocs
Boston Globe story on hiking boots
Duffy a hiking hall of famer
REI opening in RI
AMC needs caretakers
How many hikes did you do this winter?
Photos of springtime
Anything related to skiing
which mountain to die on
noise pollution
got fish?
Invitations to weddings
questions about which camera to buy
messages to injured posters
etc etc

Doesn't all of that fall under "fluff"?

I like fluff, it's what keeps me coming back between good threads on gear and technique. I'm sure I'm not the only one. I don't even live in NE anymore so go figure.

Um, yeah.

If I don't want to read a fluff story, guess what, I don't click on it! Likewise, if I don't want to read a story on how best to maintain and store my 2005 patagucci D-version lightweight hiking poles model #22593-XK, then I won't click on it.

Discretion, folks. And, oh, a sense of humor. It's easier to get by in this world if you have both. :) :p :) So post all the crap you want and I'll decide if I'm in the mood for reading it.

Fluff...

I must admit....sometimes the fluff keeps me from being just a lurker. Usually someone voices exactly what I am thinking (or is much more knowledgable) on the more serious topics and there is no point in jumping in. (I know...there is probably no point in jumping in on fluff either.

Last edited:
jessbee said:
how best to maintain and store my 2005 patagucci D-version lightweight hiking poles model #22593-XK

You have Gucci hiking poles?! That's pretty sweet. Mine are Prada. :D

I'm highly disappointed...

I thought this thread was about fluff and voted accordingly.

I like my fluff with peanut butter, please.

It's all good! I can do without off-topic threads, but I appreciate pertinent comments beyond the bare essence of the nuts-and-bolts on a hiking thread. We are all like-minded people with a shared passion for hiking, not a group of exclusively dry scientists or colorful humorists. Our commonality is the passion for hiking. The mix brings alot of good stuff to the table ( or the screen).

Happy Trails :)

Fluff is the "icing" on the cake.
:cool: :D :)

Fluff is a good hiking food, especially with peanut butter, as the combination doesn't require refrigeration.

I'd like to thank Sleeping Bear for posting this thread, because I thought exactly the same thing when the thread about "how many forum members..." was closed. (Actually, if it was off-topic at all, it was because it belonged in Site Help -- IMO.)

And speaking of fluff, the top threads by replies and by views are always about XXXCity Beer Night, or Gathering 11.7, or {DougPaul, SherpaK} injuries... What does that say about human nature?

I'd like to take this opportunity to ask people to put some thought into the thread titles, as that helps decide what gets read and what doesn't. Also, in the spirit of improving the site, I'd love it if the moderates took some time from the fluff-limiting activities and spent it re-titling the threads to make my viewing choices better.

Tim

Boy this thread will have a short shelf life. I like a board with personality, hence fluff is good. Unfortunately, this board has lost any semblance of a personality a long time ago. It is like reading an old Dragnet episode, “Just the facts ma'am”. Lock away.

Last edited:
I can't get enough of the fluff stuff :)

Seriously, it is the personal side of all the accomplished hikers that makes VFTT special for me. VFTT is far more than just a reference guide. It is a place where hikers can share personal trail-related experiences, perhaps get to meet or hike with each other and HAVE SOME FUN.

I would also much rather hike with an inexperienced hiker that is a lot of fun, than with an accomplished hiker devoid of much personality.

That being said, all fluff should relate to a hiking-related topic, since hiking is the core of this forum.

Regards,
Marty

I think people are misunderstanding the policy here on "fluff". We give a huge amount of liberty if something is hiking related. Of the list included in the OP, all are hiking (or photography) related. Some are a bit of a stretch (such as the Croc one) but they all tie into what we do. That's the purpose of this site; to be a place where people can talk about their hiking/outdoors/photography interests. Personal stories, fun or scary experiences, opinions are all part and parcel of that and are encouraged. I certainly don't see VFTT as a "just the facts ma'am" place.

Jokes that don't pertain to hiking/outdoors, aggressive or abusive behavior, personal causes, politics, general chatting about life, we like to keep off this board. It was a decision made a long time ago when the site was created. It's part of the personality of VftT and has served this place pretty well so far.

Can you give an example of the type of thread you think would be closed that you would like to see?

-dave-

bikehikeskifish said:
And speaking of fluff, the top threads by replies and by views are always about XXXCity Beer Night, or Gathering 11.7, or {DougPaul, SherpaK} injuries... What does that say about human nature?

we like beer, social activities and hearing about freind's progress in healing injuries :) :)

Banning crocs
REI opening in RI
AMC needs caretakers
Photos of springtime
which mountain to die on
noise pollution
got fish?
Invitations to weddings
etc etc

Yeah, good fluff.

Couldn't resist. :D

FLUFF: the response

1. I too thought this thread was about that marshmellowy stuff in a jar. I only liked that on ice cream.
2. I do agree that fluff gives everyone a chance to be mundane and frivilous & god only knows we need more of that in our lives.
3. someone has gucci poles and prada? are you sure the label didn't say "made in china"?
4. Dear Dr Wu: obviously today we don't want to be serious. Do Wu? by the way: luv the pic of your cuddly critter.
5. Fluff is a lot like trail mix. You get a lot of good stuff mixed in with a bunch of nuts.
6. Jazzbo: re "I wish people would date their fluff so it would be more useful"
- are you single? -
7. David M: Oh my what to say.... A pic speaks a thousand words. Keep on smiling and loving life. We wuv you.

I VOTE TO MAKE THE LAST MONDAY OF EVERY MONTH OFFICIAL FLUFF DAY
:eek:

sleeping bear said:
Banning crocs
REI opening in RI
AMC needs caretakers
Photos of springtime
which mountain to die on
noise pollution
got fish?
Invitations to weddings
etc etc

I like fluff, it's what keeps me coming back between good threads on gear and technique. I'm sure I'm not the only one. I don't even live in NE anymore so go figure.

IMO, looking strictly at the titles, the only one that doesn't qualify under hiking/outdoors is invitations to weddings. I think the vast majority of the threads started on here are fine they way they are, and have little "fluff factor."

grouseking