Doing Tux - way the wrong way!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:eek: Ouch!

Man I am sorry to hear you got hurt, but jeepers bubba, aren't inverted airs best done with skis attached to the feet ;)

I hope you can get through these days of soreness well and heal up without loosing any of your humor.

bubba said:
They got my age wrong. :mad:

Yeah, well it's easy to hit the "5" when you mean to hit the "3." Typos are so easy to make. ;)

Gotta say--those pics gave me a shudder. The second shows how much effort it is to litter someone out. I was involved in a carry on the Cathedral trail in Baxter and it is amazing how long it takes. But also amazing how people pull together. The one guy in the pic had skis in his pack and was helping with the carry--really incredible how people focus on what's important at times like that.

Glad you are able to walk around--hopefully a good sign for the season?

Healing vibes and thoughts and all that!

Bubba,
I thought you were older than that? Didn't you tell me about signing up for Social Security? Glad to hear that you are on the mend. I'll bet your wife hasn't given you a hard time about it either!!!! Maybe a few days up at my camp would speed up your recovery......slam

That was a close one. But it sounds as if it could have been a lot worse. I’m sure glad it wasn’t, it was obviously bad enough as it was. I remember reading an article in National Geographic a number of years ago about Tuckerman Ravine. A ranger who was interviewed mentioned that one day he looked up from the bowl and at the top he saw someone with an air mattress about to take off. At the last moment the wind blew the air mattress out of the guy’s hands. “It saved his life” was the comment. With the description of how bad it was under the conditions it happened to you, I can only imagine what it would be like for someone coming all the way down from the top on an air mattress.

Seeker said:
I was involved in a carry on the Cathedral trail in Baxter and it is amazing how long it takes. But also amazing how people pull together.

Can't imagine carry anyone off the Cathedral Trail in Baxter! Now that would be a difficult one!

Heal well! Note to self always wear the helmet, Strapped! ;)

cbcbd said:
...at least you were the one writing it, so that's a good sign :eek:
Funny. That's why I hang out with you!!
slamdog said:
...Didn't you tell me about signing up for Social Security?
No, that was you explaining what happens when you went through it.
Seeker said:
Yeah, well it's easy to hit the "5" when you mean to hit the "3." Typos are so easy to make.
It's 48!! You thought I was 38 (and good looking)... remember?? :confused:

Thanks all for your concern. I was at the Orthopedics earlier today. I saw the Xrays and I really did a fine job on the hip (I thought I had just cracked it a bit). They are ordering a CAT scan as they saw some things they want a better view of... that will be in a couple days. They also told me to used both crutches - yeah, yeah, yeah.

By chance I had a scheduled annual physical exam today also. My primary gave me another Rx for pain pills as a back up! :D So I should be fine through the painful part. I'm still feeling fine as far as getting around, etc. Hurts to lay down/get up from prone.

Ouch! That's gonna hurt, broken both yours and your daughter's cam... I mean your hip!

No seriously, so sorry to read about your accident, I was anticipating a fun read about your day out with your kid, but it turns into a painful end... At least I'm glad to hear that no surgery is needed. Hopefully the CAT scan find nothing bad. Hang in there dude, hope to see you at Spence's party. Wish you a fast and full recovery.

Glad you're ok!

Hi Bubba,

My name is Erin and I'm the other caretaker of hermit lake next to Luke. I hiked to the summit on Sunday morning to see the undercast and on my way down lion's head I heard yells from the ravine. I yelled back "hello?!", heard no response, kept hiking down, heard more yelling, yelled back, no response, then (getting a bad feeling about it) I continued hiking down back to hermit lake. Luke's bread wasn't that burned so I made a PB&J out of it for lunch. Two female hikers ran down to HoJo's and told me what happened around 1:45 and thats when Luke headed up. I took care of operations at hermit lake the whole time and sent up the litter up with the wheel (good thing those four college kids just checked into their shelter!). Also, I'm the one who gave your daughter a thing of cookies to hand out to people... chocolate can't hurt, right?

Anyway, I'm really glad you're OK. This was my first full weekend caretaking tux with Luke and now I feel more trained for rescue operations. Also, rest assured that many of your rescuers stuffed themselves with pasta and brownies after you were taken to the hospital.

Take care,

erin
(tux girl, summer '07)

bubba said:
It's 48!! You thought I was 38 (and good looking)... remember?? :confused:

I did and you are! Just joshin' ya! :)

(Perhaps not the best time for a joke...)

Get well & let one of the girls mow the lawn

Dave, if skiing tucks means, actually putting skis on, VFTT should mean actually getting to the top (& back down) no wood around so I'll just have to knock on my skull, close enough.

Get well soon Bubba

Last edited:
You need to work on your storytelling. "I was ripping up the gnarliest line, caught huge air and threw a double backflip while drinking a Red Bull. But then an angry mountain pigeon, clipped me mid-flip and I went tumbling." Or something like that. :D :D :D

Heal fast. Be well. Get back up there!

Hey Erin,

Thanks for the post and taking care of matters. Not sure how I feel about being your OJT, but glad you are there doing your job!

Give a thanks again to Luke and the Forest Service guys.

I've gotta get a picture of my back for the record. I'm a big purple splotch just about anywhere near my waist and into my butt. I had a CAT Scan this AM and talked to the Dr's office to find out that it's the tailbone that they had some concern about. I'll hear more early next week.

Worst part is the meds made me sick!! I told them that I was allergic to Pennicillin, and they gave me a "cousin", suggesting that tests say most don't suffer. Nice to feel okay and take pills that make you sick! :mad:

Hope all have a fine weekend. Forcast is excellent.

bubba said:
I've gotta get a picture of my back for the record. I'm a big purple splotch just about anywhere near my waist and into my butt.
Please refrain from posting said picture.
:eek: