Fall Gathering Barnes Field, NH 9/18-21

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys. Wish I could come to this gathering but alas I'm back in Florida. I am coming up to NH the next weekend, the 26th, though! I am playing tour guide for my grandmother so I probably won't be doing much hiking :( but I do plan on dragging her up at least one mountain :D when I figure out which I'll be sure to let everyone know. I miss New England and all you beautiful people, hopefully I'll get to see some of you.

:)

Doing my best to make it up there (25% chance, and weather dependent). Will likely head into the Gulf, or some other easy trek. If I can get up there, it will be very late on Friday evening, or sometime on Saturday. Need to go to Maine first.

EDIT: now 0% chance. MCP adn dock removal. Have a great time.

Last edited:
Not sure if I will be there, but if I am, I'll have my 15 y/o daughter with me. I have never met any of you but I bet it will be an experience.

bruised said:
Not sure if I will be there, but if I am, I'll have my 15 y/o daughter with me. I have never met any of you but I bet it will be an experience.

You should come......we're a good bunch of hikers who will be very happy to see you around the campfire :)

I'm posting this here hoping that there will be someone who can give me and JasonPatrikz a ride to Mt Cabot TH early Friday morning. Jason and I will be staying at Barnes Field Thursday night and he needs to go back to work Saturday morning in Concord. Therefore we need to place his car at StarrKing TH after he finished the Kilkenny Ridge with me Friday.

We plan to start hiking at 5am Friday at Mt Cabot TH.......which means we need to leave BF at 4:30am.

Thanks, Mats

Mats Roing said:
I was thinking $5 per person/night might be reasonable so $10 if you stay 2 nights etc. The goal is to reach close to the $387 I already paid for the reservations.

Dr Wu (Frank) will collect money Fri-Sun and I will be there Thursday night.

Looking forward to see you there!

Mats
Also, Unfrozen Caveman was kind enough to bring about 2000 lbs of firewood to the July 4 Gathering -- but if anyone is hoping to sit around the [huge] fire, all warm and toasty, we should consider chipping in a few bucks each to help Caveman recoup the cost for die$el fuel which he said runs him about $100 for the trip.

Best, I think, to contact him offline -- it's not like he guaranteed anyone firewood or anything. If anything, at least come prepared -- if the dude brings the firewood and we all enjoy it, throw a few bucks his way. Just a thought.

BTW: I cleared this with the mods before posting.

-Dr. Wu

Last edited:
People still going (really...) to Patriot games these days w/out a QB of note??
Cassel has a better completion% and passer rating than either of the Manning sisters!

dr_wu002 said:
-- if the dude brings the firewood and we all enjoy it, throw a few bucks his way. Just a thought.
-Dr. Wu

Great idea - Unfrozen Caveman is probably the best remedy there is against frostbite :)

Hey Mats!

Thanks for getting this organized and getting the sites at Barnes Field. Not sure yet if I'll make it or not....family thing on Saturday which may go over to Sunday...I'm going to try and sneak away and hike on Sunday though.

-MEB

Welcome aboard Ashley :cool: Love your avatar ;)

bubba said:
... I'm just going to suggest we participate in naked swimming, tent farting and reflect on why it is that Buffalo has one of the largest stadiums in the NFL and continually fills to capacity - even when we have left over Patriot QB's who eat Wheaties. Remember - there's nothing worse than a whining Patriot fan. :p (well... maybe over-zealous Red Sox fans!)

Hey Bubba you spelled winning wrong :D

Reactions: arm
dr_wu002 said:
Also, Unfrozen Caveman was kind enough to bring about 2000 lbs of firewood to the July 4 Gathering -- but if anyone is hoping to sit around the [huge] fire, all warm and toasty, we should consider chipping in a few bucks each to help Caveman recoup the cost for die$el fuel which he said runs him about $100 for the trip.

I totally appreciate this and planned on bringing the usual abundance but unfortunately my work schedule isn't going to make it feasible for me to bring much firewood as I'll have the company car (Honda Accord)...this gathering is going to get squeezed into the middle of a multi-day 1000 mile round trip that'll have me covering the entire state of VT and NH for business. So....I'll contribute and collect wood while there, just won't have the usual truckload. :( Sorry everyone, I'll make up for it at the winter gathering - providing I can get my truck to where it winds up being :)

UNFROZENCAVEMAN said:
I totally appreciate this and planned on bringing the usual abundance but unfortunately my work schedule isn't going to make it feasible for me to bring much firewood as I'll have the company car (Honda Accord)...this gathering is going to get squeezed into the middle of a multi-day 1000 mile round trip that'll have me covering the entire state of VT and NH for business. So....I'll contribute and collect wood while there, just won't have the usual truckload. :( Sorry everyone, I'll make up for it at the winter gathering - providing I can get my truck to where it winds up being :)
I should arrive at BF sometime Friday Afternoon... I'll try and drop off my stuff and make a wood run if possible. Hope others do the same!!

-Dr. Wu

Mats.. wish I could provide you with a ride, but I won't be arriving until Saturday morning.. (when I plan on meeting you where ever you'll be Saturday around 9ish) -expect a text from me around that time!

See everyone Saturday night! I'll bring some wood.

thanks mnt pa! I'm looking forward to seeing you soon! I know the sites are already reserved but it would be way cooler if the gathering was the following weekend so I could attend!

Ashley Pennington said:
thanks mnt pa! I'm looking forward to seeing you soon! I know the sites are already reserved but it would be way cooler if the gathering was the following weekend so I could attend!

Hey Ashley,

Great to see you on board!

If things go well with the Diretissima some people will gather at Lafayette Campground the following weekend.

PS. Who's that babe next to you on the avatar?

leaf said:
Mats.. wish I could provide you with a ride, but I won't be arriving until Saturday morning.

Thanks Leaf,

Chinoktrail is getting up early Friday to give us a ride to the TH so we are all set.

I will probably be there for the weekend. I'm coming alone and I hope to put some names with the faces. I'll try to bring some wood. Will someone PM me with the logistices re: food and beverages.
Are people planning to rock climb? Are there any slow-ish hikers that want company? My list is fairly open, so it will be easy to find a mountain I havent climbed.
Thanks, looking foreward to meeting you all.