Fifth time's a charm...Adams 9/29

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby

Reaction score
Four times now, Mt. Adams has eluded me. In 1990, fog and rain stopped me at Thunderstorm Junction. In October of 2006, Sapblatt and I were at the Lowes/Spur junction when wind and time sent us back to Crag Camp. The following day, high winds prevented us from going above tree line. In August, failing light, wind and fog stopped me again at Thunderstorm Junction. This has been the most frustrating peak for me to get to.

Forecasts showed a pretty good day from Monday. I looked at maps and trail guides, and decided that if it wasn’t raining, I would go up the Airline. My fallback plan was the Valley Way, and then evaluate at Madison Hut.

I was loading my car at about 3:30 AM and it began to rain. This was not the start I was looking for. I drove up 93 in the dark, alone with my thoughts. It’s funny what goes through your mind when you make the long ride north by yourself. I thought of Ray, who passed away recently. As with so many of trips to the mountains, I also thought of my dad. He and I never really hiked in the Northern Presi’s, but I did bring his picture with me so he could be there. Before I knew it, I was at the trailhead.

The temperature was about 60 degrees; I began the hike in shorts and a t-shirt. It was humid, and I quickly broke a sweat. The trail was wet, and there was some mud. Wet rocks and roots were the conditions of the day. The going was fairly easy for the first 2.4 miles, right up to the water sign. After that, things got steep. This section of the trail should be renamed “Hell’s Half Mile.” The trail eased up a bit after the Scar Trail junction, and at one point the fog lifted long enough for me to see across King Ravine to Crag Camp, but before I could get my camera out, the fog settled back in.

Going along in the trees, with no views, I guess I did a sort of self-inventory. What’s good, what’s bad? What’s right, what’s wrong? You don’t really get to think like that on a group hike. You know what? To quote Jake, “Life is good.” :) There are ups and downs, but like a wave, just ride it and you’ll eventually get to flat water.

At tree line, the wind picked up. I layered up, and put on some gloves. The wind was blowing about 25 mph, gusting to about 40 mph. Onward and upward, hoping for views into King Ravine that never came. Soon enough, I was at the Gulfside Junction and decided to continue on the Airline. I have heard that the .6 miles to the summit of Adams was difficult, and I wanted to hike it so I could complain about it later. The wind was blowing hard as I reached the summit. I stayed there long enough to take a few pictures, then headed down Lowe’s Path to T-Storm.

The ground was wet, and I took a few spills on the wet rocks. It was nice to get to Thunderstorm Junction after a reaching the summit, having been turned back there in the past. The Gulfside Trail is so nice. The well-placed rocks made for a nice foot way. It would be nice if all of the above tree line trails were like this.

I heard voices behind me at one point, but couldn’t see anyone. I figured that they were coming from the Lowe’s Path/Spur Trail area. At the Airline/Gulfside Junction I met a couple going up Adams. We spoke for a bit then went on our way.

The descent went well. I had to be careful on the steep sections, the trail was very wet and I didn’t want to fall. Despite the caution, I did fall a few times, fortunately without injury. It was a long time coming, but finally, Mt. Adams was mine.

Pictures from Mt. Adams

Congratulations Bobby!

It's good to occasionally solo a hike. In this case you not only did away with the distraction of others but the distraction of views as well. Hiking Adams with no views is tough to do but you managed it. Quality one-on-one time with yourself to take care of some mental excercises.

Perhaps this was a final kick in the crotch from Mr. Adams. He gave in and allowed you to the summit but without the usual rewards.

So, how many miles and feet in elevation does it take for you to get Adams? :rolleyes:

nice report Bobby.
In my 20's used to dislike hiking alone....I found it much harder to be motivated, especially in the "Long Green Tunnel" sections I was primarily hiking at the time.

Now in my mid 30's, I just really like hiking. Alone is good. With others is good. Hiking is good!

Way to go, Bobby! A solo hike in the fog above treeline can be quite the mystical experience, and to combine that with tagging a needed summit sounds like a great way to spend a day.

At least once in a while. Nothing wrong with dry and sunny, either. ;)

Congratulations Bobby! Nice TR and pics. I really like the combination of fall colors and mysterious fog! :cool: My first time was in high winds last fall and most other hikers were skirting it via Gulfside. Having just been up Jefferson, I thought how bad could it be? It nearly rolled me down the east side of the mountain! Glad you finally got your day and I'm sure you'll be back to see it from other perspectives! ;)

Bobby said:
About 46 miles round trip and about 18,000 in elevation :eek:

What did we say at Owl's Head..."that's a lot of output for one peak"
There's no question, you earned this one. ;)

Well done.

Bobby said:
I guess I did a sort of self-inventory. What’s good, what’s bad? What’s right, what’s wrong? You don’t really get to think like that on a group hike. You know what? To quote Jake, “Life is good.” :) There are ups and downs, but like a wave, just ride it and you’ll eventually get to flat water.

Zen Master Bobby, livin' in the here-and-now...right on!

;)

sapblatt said:
Bobby -
Nice report and pictures - it is about time you got Adams! :D
When my life calms down a bit I think we may need to do a death march...

A death march sounds like a great idea, Mike. Please count me in. :D

Marty

P.S. Nice job knocking off Adams, Bobby :cool:

Enjoyed your TR, and was inspired by your perseverance. A nice feeling to reach that lofty goal at last. Bravo!

Jason Berard said:
In my 20's used to dislike hiking alone....I found it much harder to be motivated, especially in the "Long Green Tunnel" sections I was primarily hiking at the time.

Now in my mid 30's, I just really like hiking. Alone is good. With others is good. Hiking is good!
Most of my hikes from my late teens to late thirties were solo's. Once my son was old enough to hike with me, that changed a little. I enjoy the groups hikes, but hiking alone works also.

MichaelJ said:
At least once in a while. Nothing wrong with dry and sunny, either.
Dry and sunny is nice, but I'll take what I can get these days :)

bikehikeskifish said:
Looks like you got the white whale.
Caught him and cooked him!

Dave Bear said:
I thought how bad could it be?
That's what I said! See Sapblatts avatar

BIGEarl said:
There's no question, you earned this one.
Thanks Earl, even though it took a while, each trip to was special.

sapblatt said:
I'm in!

Thanks to all for the kind remarks. It is nice to a member here, sharing experiences with each other.

Last edited:
Nice job Bobby! Glad you finally made it...wow I thought some of my hikes were long distance to the summits....you really earned this summit! :D

I almost feel quilty with our weather 2 weeks ago...that .5 miles to the top always seems so much longer up & down over those rocks!

Beautifull pics, I love having the fog ones..makes you appreciate the remoteness more and the nice views when you get them! :eek:

Great report and pics..

something special about hiking in the clouds..local views come at you quickly...

the colors of the undergrowth stand out..the rocks and crags seem larger..

I know one thing..those boots sure looked tired..

congrats on your ascent!!

sapblatt said:
Bobby -
Nice report and pictures - it is about time you got Adams! :D
Hmmm.... What's a "death march"? :rolleyes: