Hiking in the Nude

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never hiked nude because I always thought that without underwear I'd be more susceptible to having "accidents" on the trail which would lead to ridicule and condemnation from the hiking community (leave no trace). I've never seen a nude hiker either, presumably for the same reasons.

-Dr. Wu

Last edited:
Answer #1 : see answer #2 below (just change ''they'' for ''we'')

Answer #2 : I saw naked people many times, on beaches and in swimming holes... but they were doing something else than hiking.

Answer #3 : Yes, but in the desert, if I'm sure there's absolutly nobody around. Or if I'm 21 years old and I just lost playing truth or dare.

I plan on hiking naked on Saturday July 15th up the AMR road and on to Indian Head. I will be commencing my jaunt at 8:00 am. I will be singing Simon and Garfunkle's hit song, "Cecilia" at the top of my lungs over and over again while jerking my pelvis from side to side in time to the music.

I have never hiked in the nude but I did run one mile down a trail in the dark in the CDN Rockies with no clothes on.

I have never seen a nude hiker.

I take showers naked and I'll sometimes hike/walk from my bedroom to the shower like that too... We are all naked underneath our clothes.. ;)

:)
Jay

Don't do it. Never seen it on a trail.

I hope this doesn't come across too prudish, but with all the small plane traffic in NH (not to mention spy satellites) I think twice about stopping to "see a man about a bear". Never mind hiking sans clothes.

Despite my ponytail, I missed the hippie era and I have to wonder about the motivations of hiking naked. Sure, it's more comfortable in hot humid weather. But I think at least some people hiking naked are just doing to see how others react as they flaunt social norms. Perhaps others are doing to to try to rid our social norms of the victorian clothing fetish, but I'd guess not many. And I'd guess a handful are all about being comfortable.

Am I wrong?

I think it's Yes/Yes/Yes... that's part of being an "experienced" age!

If the timing is right, there's nothing like a nice mountain top air out!! I've been with others in the nude on trails, but never actually run into anyone. One occasion that led to ala-nude was on the Bruce Trail up on the Bruce Pennisula on the shores of Georgian Bay. At that time, the water was drinkable (and it's nearly always cold). Wonderfully refreshing.

I've read that skinny dipping at watering holes in Vermont is a way of life. There is even a directory of watering holes. Here's a fun note... one of the places that I've been on the trail naked were nakedness was most accepted was in western MA Bershires -- right where Gathering 9.0 may be headed!! Woopee!!

Anyway, Gris wins for the best tale of the day!! Excellent, excellent. No doubt my mom would have done just the same! Looking's acceptable -- dogs take it to far, though!! :p

Ayep

Spent a summer in the Whistler/Blackcomb area and participated in lots of nude hiking and swimming with many other people doing the same. Personally I have buff hiked the entire Franconia Ridge and most of Crawford path below Lakes. All this was done in the very early eighties when my torso wasn't as awful looking as it is now. A few years ago a group of nude hikers walked by while a few of us were sitting on the summit of Lafayette. They zipped by in a "flash" and some people never even noticed. Very early in the morning, during the week you can do these and often not see a soul. I'm talking 5 to 7 AM. I always carried my shorts in my hand for a quick empennage cover if I heard voices. Course I have been hiking pretty steadily since I retired from Unkle Sammy's Army so I have lots of trips under my belt, or not :D

1) NO, There are places that shouldn't be biten, by bugs, and there are places that you shouldn't put bug dope on.

2) None completely, a female Croo packing topless, and the best one, a topless caretaker at Ethan Pond giving directions to a minister for his help with revegetation for a discount on his groups stay. His eyes never broke the horizion.

3) NO (See#1)

-Naked co-workers, can't be pleasant.

Some of us are humble...

Hey, did you all hear about the Sherpa that striped down totally naked on the summit on Everest, for 3 minutes, to set a record, just a couple weeks ago.

"A Nepalese Sherpa took off his clothes on the Summit to be the first to stand naked on the top of the world while his team took pictures. The Nepal's Mountaineering Association and Ang Tshering Sherpa have called for the Sherpa to be punished for his actions. Many would be surprised if he ever works again on Everest....The Sherpas consider the mountain Holy."

unquote

sweeper said:
1) NO, There are places that shouldn't be biten, by bugs,
That's why it's so nice doing it in the desert. There are no bugs, and the snakes and scorpions can't jump that high. The only thing to worry about are the cactus. Not to mention the fact that you can see someone before they can 'see' you.

I mean, the feeling of freedom to be standing naked on a mountaintop, looking at people below, knowing that they can see you , but they can't see what you're (not) wearing...

Uhhhh... I just thought of a question... for anyone who hikes in the deserts.. Do you hike with binoculars?... NO, maybe I don'T want to know the answer.

-Naked co-workers, can't be pleasant.
Depends where you work. If, like me, you work in the Faculty of Modeling and Fashion (Those who have seen me hiking now understand where I get my stype of clothes), where you're surrounded by people who look better with their clothes off...

I often go buff for a dip after/during a hike as long as I'm certain I won't be seen. IMO, it's rude to walk down a trail nude where others, including children, should be expected. It's imposing. No big deal if you're certain others won't have to see you nude.

Personally, unless it's a beautiful female, I don't even like seeing people's feet. :eek:

Happy Trails!

I saw a guy on the summit of The Bigelows who, as he approached, said "pardon my attire". At that point we could only see him from the neck up, due to the terrain. When he was fully visible, we understood the comment. It was more like the LACK of attire. He had boots on at least. He told us his goal was to hike the NEHH naked, so I'm sure a lot of y'all will be seeing him sooner or later!

Unfortunately for him, 'Bigelow' was not appropriate! :D :eek:

Nice Boots

Me and my buddy were hiking Lafeyette, Lincoln and Little Haystack a few years back. We were up on the ridge and in the distance we could see a lone hiker coming towards us. As he got closer it became apparent that he was naked :eek: unless you count pack, boots and socks. We walked past as quick as we could and after passing I turned to my buddy and said "atleast he had nice boots on" to which my buddy replied "wouldn't know but the sky sure is blue today" that is the only naked hiker I have ever seen. :)

No, No (though I have seen many eyefuls, but they were not hiking), and No

In the 1970s skinny dipping was widespread along many streams in the Shawangunks (but no longer). It was difficult to hike there and not perhaps see a bit more than you wanted. It must be something about the Gunks -- in the 1960s it was also the home of the renegade Vulgarians (link includes one unrevealing photo). They were a group of mostly CCNY students who skillfully climbed the Gunks nude, and were notorious for playing tricks on the "stodgy AMC" climbers of the era.

Pete_Hickey said:
Don't tell me that you work at one of those places where everyone wears clothes all the time... In Canada, June 31 is naked go-to-work day. Everyone participates.

would I lie???

No, you wouldn't lie IF June 31 existed :D :D
My job is a place we always wear clothes but we also are required to be observant . . . you are tricky, Pete

sli74

The general rule of public nudity

is that the ones you would want to see naked, aren't; and the ones you don't, are.
Bubba posted the website that shows places where this is acceptable. The trails we hike on, including the AT, are places where you are likely to encounter families, including children. So, it's unacceptable.
Being a guy, I probably wouldn't want to see David Metsky naked but I can't help but giggle at the idea of him skiing naked.
Adds new meaning to Lunch Rocks.
I saw the most beautiful fully clothed female Croo on the Gale River Trail two years ago. Nudity couldn't match my sweet imagination, as long as we're quoting Paul Simon.

Last edited:
I don't hike naked, but very much enjoy skinny dipping.

I have only seen one person hike topless, last October on Old Speck.

I did see a group of 4 people on the Mt. Megunticook summit two winters ago that were taking pictures of themselves naked, but I was on the lower trail snowshoeing in 4' of powder and they didn't see me.