Hip labral tear/Arthroscopic surgery/Can anyone relate?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If any of you are up for a small hike this weekend, please let me know. I don't think my hip is ready to tackle a 4,000 footer quite yet, but I'd love to get out and explore some flat, pretty trails if any of you have recommendations.

Given the start of foliage season there will be plenty of beautiful options. Zealand Trail & Ethan Pond Trail, Flat Mountain Pond area, Wild River Trail from the campground, and of course either the Wilderness or East Side trails to check out that controversial bridge. :)

Good to hear the low impact workout is keeping the pain at a minimum. Hang in there.

If any of you are up for a small hike this weekend, please let me know. I don't think my hip is ready to tackle a 4,000 footer quite yet, but I'd love to get out and explore some flat, pretty trails if any of you have recommendations.
For three months I was encouraged to exercise but no hiking, so as not to stress my back. Rather than do flat walks I walked up Forest Service roads, some of which pack quite a lot of elevation gain.

Given where I live I walked up Tripoli Road and Hubbard Brook Road.

Tripoli Road has the disadvantage of several almost flat sections along the first three miles if you start from the I93 end. From the Waterville Valley end it goes up at a pretty steady pace to the Osceola trailhead, almost three miles each way.

My favorite, however, was the Hubbard Brook Road. It goes up for about 1½ miles, then flattens. Here a side road goes off to the north, rising quite steeply in parts. Total walk five miles round trip with 1,000 feet of elevation gain.

The footing of both roads is excellent, and I believe that they are not steep enough to cause joint stress.

Hang in there Larisa.Definitely great to have the top docs and information but more important is the human spirit.With your will and determination this injury will be just a blip on the radar screen in the near future.

sorry to hear about your recent ailment. I really enjoy reading about all of your adventures. take good care of this and be patient.

Sorry to hear about your injury. Hope you have an excellent outcome. I have just a couple of comments to add. My son had arthroscopic surgery for a shoulder labral tear a couple of years ago with good results. One of the things his surgeon stressed over and over was to find an extremely capable physical therapist for this type of injury. If you decide to go with surgery your surgeon will undoubtedly have a recommendation. The reason my son's surgeon gave is that the therapist (and you, the patient) cannot be too aggressive with the rehab of this type of injury. It takes a long time to heal and being too aggressive presents a risk of re-injury.

One last comment - think Mike Lowell. He's back playing for the Sox after having his torn hip Labrum repaired last fall. If you're a Yankee fan, think A-Rod He's also back after hip Labrum repair. With good care and rehab you should hope for an equally positive outcome.

Wonderful news from the doctor down in Boston on Tuesday – I was given permission to resume full activity. Going into the appointment, I had two primary concerns. Firstly, that returning to my former level of activity would cause the injury to worsen. Secondly, that not getting the tear repaired surgically would put me at risk for premature hip degeneration. As it turns out, both items are things that I do not need to worry about.

Contrary to what I’d been told previously, the doctor said that the majority of people with labral tears DO become asymptomatic – usually within 6 to 9 months. The pain that I’m experiencing is primarily caused by inflammation in the joint, and activity will not cause the tear to worsen or put me at risk for damaging my hip in the long run. He said I can go ahead and exercise as much and as hard as I’d like – but to be wary that exercising through pain will draw out the time it’ll take for the inflammation to subside.

Repairing the tear surgically is an option that I should only pursue if the pain is still present after the 6 to 9 month timeframe, and is affecting me to the point where it’s preventing me from doing the things I love. The surgery itself is simply a means to eliminating pain - it doesn't really fix the joint in any way, and getting it done will not put me at any decreased risk for developing arthritis.

At this point, I think I’m going to take a few more weeks off from running. Hiking however…

I can’t wait to get back out in the mountains! What an interesting journey this has been. With luck, this might very well be my last update. :)

Thanks again to all of you for helping me through this.

LRiz--know you don't know me from a bag of rocks, but i do follow your stuff (as well as a bunch of other "younger" high achievers)

-very happy to hear the Boston Dr take on the injury/prognosis

-clearly you are like many of us are almost crazed to resume full activity asap after an injury; please at least consider the advice of an "old man" who's been there too many times--go just a shade easy and back down a bit if symptoms persist/worsen

be well soon

jim

Last edited:
This is very good news, indeed!
Trips to the mountains aren't quite the same without the possibility of sighting LRiz whizzzing by by me at about eighty miles an hour on a "Shot Block and Red Bull" high :p
Hope to see you soon out there!

My 2 cents!

I'm glad to hear you're doing ok. I do worry/wonder about some of the uber-hikers. they are indeed performing remarkable feats at high level .... world class I guess. One thing world class professional athletes have resources that amatuer athletes don't have. They have a trainers, masseuses, spear carriers, support staffs, orthepedic professionals, consultants. Extreme example of this is Lance Armstrong's support staff of 60 or 70 (maybe even 100 at peak of the Tour) working behind the scenes to keep him going at his peak form. Seems like people putting their physique at these extremes must be risking joint injuries that may be difficult or costly to repair. :confused:

great news..

now you can stop living in the past with those (very cute) old pictures and get some news ones out there:)

happy trails....

Strong work! :D :cool::)
Looking forward to many more pics and trip reports.

Maddy