Missing hiker found

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Different strokes for different folks!:D

Oh, to have been a gray jay watching him make his decisions. (You know, like a fly on the wall?) You can't believe everything you read in an interview. I've done my share (both the writing of and being written about) and telling someone else's story, or telling someone else *your* story can make for a mixed up tale. Still, looks to me like his primary problems were the type written about in "Deep Survival." He was admittedly impatient, and made incorrect decisions. On the other hand, he didn't give up and he did survive. Now if he'd only post his story here, we could have a real back and forth with him about what he did and why. I hope he continues his training and enjoys the beauty of Rainier.

Last edited:
So what is the training weight to train for Mount Washington?
FWIW, 30 pounds of water in a pack, 5 pound weight on each ankle, slog up and down Corey Hill. Were I able to get to the Whites every weekend that wouldn't have been necessary, of course.

Dry River: Bermuda Triangle of the Whites

I have to agree with Wardsgirl on this designation.

3/31/2009 - John Windship, age 45, of Boxford, Mass
2/16/2009 - Michel Desilets and Isabelle Corriveau of Ottawa, Canada
5/16/2008 - Gregory Pine, age 19 of Newtown, PA and Robert Hogan, age 20, of Langhorne, PA.
2/19/2008 - Alex Obert, age 30, and Steven "Dewey" McCay, age 29, both of Arlington, Virginia
11/02/2007 - Hong Zhang
7/15/2005 - Michael Levy of Long Island, N.Y.
4/12/2005 - John Jackson, of Carlisle, Mass
11/13/2002 - Frank Deland, 58, of Manchester-by-the-Sea, MA

I hope to explore the upper parts of the Dry River Trail and Oakes Gulf this summer or fall. I've never gotten lost before, but I am starting to wonder if maybe it is unavoidable in this area. I just hope I don't come across "The Others" or the black smoke monster.

Got roughly 15 winter ascents of washington - (including some spring ones in that number as well as late fall). - never used snowshoes and never brought them

You might need them after on on heavy snow of course

But most of the time trails well kicked and half the terrain is above treeline

Not saying its on on bad idea to bring them or not - just saying most dont

But this guy apparently didn't stay on the well trodden path. My point is bring the shoes in case you do get disoriented somehow and end up in the Dry River wilderness or other areas that haven't been packed down nicely for you by other kind folks who went before you. I don't want to pile on this guy thats not my intention. But I also don't like to think that others that read these posts then say " hey they hike Mount Washington without extensive winter gear maybe I can get away with it as well". And then maybe you can get by without recommended winter gear (ie snowshoes,etc,etc) but what happens if you end up needing help and now these posts are about you. By the way I hope not :) And further more what if you are charged for being a negligent hiker by the state. Me , I would bring the shoes for another month or so needed or not because last time I checked there isn't anyone selling them on the Davis path just incase you get in trouble.

But I also don't like to think that others that read these posts then say " hey they hike Mount Washington without extensive winter gear maybe I can get away with it as well". And then maybe you can get by without recommended winter gear (ie snowshoes,etc,etc) but what happens if you end up needing help and now these posts are about you. By the way I hope not :) And further more what if you are charged for being a negligent hiker by the state. Me , I would bring the shoes for another month or so needed or not because last time I checked there isn't anyone selling them on the Davis path just incase you get in trouble.
You know what? People gotta use their brains a little more to figure these things out. About all I'd get from reading this thread is that a guy got lost and people like to speculate endlessly about what he did and why is he such a moron and also that you have to carry snowshoes because you never know what could happen.

If someone is gonna read this and think, "hey, I don't need to wear snowshoes because Giggy doesn't!" then that's their problem, not Giggy's. People need to grow up and think for themselves. I'm tired of this assumption that we live in a "nanny state" and that we have to fuss about when you have to wear snowshoes because some moron might be reading this and make a stupid mistake.

-Dr. Wu

Last edited:
Now who would think that? :p

About all I got from reading this thread is the fact that there's ~50 lbs. of gear in the Dry River Valley/Oakes Gulf free for the taking. :D:D:D

About all I got from reading this thread is the fact that there's ~50 lbs. of gear in the Dry River Valley/Oakes Gulf free for the taking. :D:D:D
I dunno... dude probably had a buncha blowup dolls, maybe some other nasty things to slobber on. Not worth a look even.

-Dr. Wu

You know what? People gotta use their brains a little more to figure these things out. About all I'd get from reading this thread is that a guy got lost and people like to speculate endlessly about what he did and why is he such a moron and also that you have to carry snowshoes because you never know what could happen.
Ya mean the usual views lynch-the-victim mob is out again?

Yawn...

Note that he had basically self rescued before he was found while resting a short distance from the road.

Doug

Last edited:
Why bother reading the thread?

Next month you can watch a reenactment on VFTV. :D

Who should star in it?

Yeah so in addition to being charged with reckless negligence or negligent recklessness, he should expect a huge fine for littering.

You know what I wonder?
Why do the people who are so obviously bothered by "threads like this" continue to read, comment and beat up on those wanting to discuss it?
If it bores you, makes you yawn, upsets you, angers you, DON'T read it.
It's as simple as that.

sli74

:D Agreed. Posts complaining about a thread is an even more ponderous use of time and energy then the supposedly pointless thread being complained about might have been to begin with !

Edit: So how should we classify posts that complain about complaining posts ? ;)

Last edited:
Just to clarify, I'm not trying to trash the person who was lost. Rather, I was trying to make the point about carrying snowshoes when going above treeline when there is still snow in the woods. As seen with this instance, you never know when something may happen forcing you below treeline, perhaps in a place you hadn't intended. Without snowshoes, you're in deep trouble. With snowshoes, you at least stand a chance to cover some ground.

I intend to carry snowshoes when hiking the Presis this spring until the snowpack in the woods is little or none.

I wonder if his wife checked the poll earlier this year. I see she waited two days before reporting him MIA.

You know, I seriously found this the creepiest part. I read the F&G report like four times looking at the timing of it. I wonder if wifey-poo added a little extra weight, nicked the M&C, and set him off while she got her black dress dry-cleaned and insurance papers in order!