Musings about the Highland center

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OBTW: As far as developing more environmentally conscious visitors at the HC; every time I've been by the parking lot it's full of SUV's.

I agree with the overall point, but there is no corelation between vehicle choice and degree of concern for the environment. Some people choose hybrids for image or because the fuel cost is cheaper. I'll get in trouble here if I list the thousands of famous greenies with voracious energy appetites. The most famous of them all has a private jet and a collection of houses and SUVs, a mamouth yaght, etc. Vehicle choice is about image for some and function for others. I have a full size pickup and I'm probably in the lowest 5% of energy users among all hikers. It is wrong to equate environmental concern with vehicle choice.

The HC does not exist for the service of hikers. It is a profitable business, which is good. I don't care to investigate, but don't the officers draw a salary? I remember reading how the CEO of the "non-profit" United Way had a salary of over $200k. It's an old trick.

If AMC has determined that we are not a profitable target market, why would they court us? They built their business to be profitable, not to please our desires. They own the land.

I would prefer the grand old hotel that once stood there. It was made of wood and I'm sure it had an authenticly welcome atmosphere. I love old New England structures.

I don't expect anything from the HC. I find it stuffy, trendy and phony, but thay have a right to be what they want to be on their own land.

Highland Center and AMC

Let me first say that I currently belong to AMC, and have belonged for several years. That said, I would like to also say that I have mixed emotions about the AMC. One thing that bothers me is that the president earns close to $300,000. Another thing is that a hut like Lakes takes in over $5000 a night on summer weekends. A third thing that bothers me is hiking in the mountains and hearing the steady hum of a generator. These are just some of my grievances. I don't mean to turn this into an anti-AMC rant, but these are some things I think folks should consider when talking about the AMC.

Now, I will say that they do maintain many, but certainly not any where near all, of the trails that I hike. This is good. They provide me with trail descriptions in their AMC Guidebook, which I consider my bible. Their maps produced by Larry Garland are unsurpassed. Devoted people like Steve Smith and Gene Daniels, (and many others), painstakingly measured distances with a wheel, checked route descriptions, edited and compiled this book so idiots like me could go into the mountains safely.

However, there are other, in my eyes, more worthy conservation organizations to give my money to, that aren't run like big business. The MWO, for one. The Randolph Mountain Club for another. Ask their president what his yearly salary is. Oh, and by the way, it's $8.00 a night to stay in their huts. 1st come, 1st serve, bring your own food. Can't beat that! There are others, too, like the Appalaichan Trail Conference, the Maine Appalaichan Trail Club and the Green Mountain Club.

In closing I'd like to quote Jack Tarlin, a writer and Appalaichan Trail thru-hiker. I do not agree 100% with all that he says, but he raises some good points:

"Actually, I give the AMC decidedly mixed reviews as to their care and protection of the White Mountains.

This is an incredibly over-used and fragile location, yet the Club spends thousands of dollars a year on glossy brochures and ads that encourage ignorant and ill-equipped folks to enter these areas; I personally don't think it's wise stewardship to entice people to visit a threatened, fragile area, unless they're properly equpipped and know what the hell they're doing.

It could also be added that the primary purpose of these ads is to encourgae city folks to stay in some of the AMC's high-end lodging, such as the "Hut" cabins found all thru the Whites, and the brand-new multi-million dollar facility recently opened at Crawford Notch. These facilities, by their very nature and cost, are elitist, classist, and exclusive, as the vast majority of folks who visit the Whites cannot afford to stay at them. One can quite easily question whether exclusive and exclusionary lodging places like these, which are essentially private clubs, are appropriate or have any place on public land.

It can further be stated that the Club's insistence on maintaining and expanding the operation of these high-end facilities comes at the expense of folks on a limited budget; for several years the club has been in the process of expanding their high-end lodging options while doing very little in the way of expanding or improving such options as shelters, care-taker tentsites, etc.

Lastly, the club insists on operating out of a multi-million dollar turn of the century townhouse on Boston's Beacon Hill. The cost of maintaining this unnecessary facility is enormous, never mind the millions of dollars that could be immediately realized by selling the structure and moving to less opulent offices in a more appropriate location, such as New Hampshire. And lastly, they have a bloated, over-paid office staff; the salary of their executive Director approaches that of the U.S. President.

In short, while the AMC does a lot right, it does a lot wrong. I personally can't justify sending them money so they can tear down decades-old hostels and replace them with luxury hotels, nor do I want my dues to pay for brie and chablis parties at their Boston headquarters (and yeah, I used to be a member of the Boston chapter so I know what I'm talking about here), nor do I want to help maintain a system of high-cost faux European "hiker huts" that exists solely to serve as money-makers for the organization, and to provide their wealthy members a high-country hideaway that is effectively off-limits to 95% of the folks who enter the White Mountains.

To sum up: I'm no longer a member of the AMC and can't in conscience support them. I prefer to give extra time and money to the Appalachian Trail Conference, as I know the money will be spent wisely. Or failing the ATC, I'd sooner join or support such organizations as the Green Mountain Club or the Maine Appalachian Trail Club, two small organizations that do remarkable work with very limited financial and human resources. Or better yet, if you're interested in protecting the backcountry of Northern New England, I'd join them all.

The AMC will have me back as a member when they stop building backcountry palaces, stop catering primarily to the wealthy, stop pretending that the White Mountains exist essentially to serve as a playground for their members. Or to put it another way: I'll re-join the AMC when they return to paying attention to their 130 year old mission statement, which speaks of providing wise stewardship for the forests, mountains, and rivers of Northern New England. When the AMC returns to its roots, I'll return to them. Otherwise, I think that there are other organizations more worthy of our time, money, and support."
Food for thought.

KDT

Last edited:
There's a lot of interesting commentary here, although it feels vaguely out-of-school in this forum. Nonetheless, I agree that it's fair game and love to see candid discourse (that hasn't devolved).

I view the AMC both in context, but also highly subjectively, as I've been a beneficiary of their services since I was a little boy.

Lately, I find it convenient to view them narcissistically, as a customer, as a member, as a fellow user of woods neither they nor I own. I don't feel particularly threatened by them, nor am I outraged by their practices.

I do feel a bit amused & bemused by their efforts to stay "current," and I'm not so impressed, but then I book my first night ever in one of their huts. I walk often on trails that get cleared with their help. I read materials they help publish. I use their resources unabashedly, and I'm glad to lay claim to my teeny portion of it.

I didn't really give the Highland Center a good look, and I echo the comments about Pinkham, which I have loved like a father for decades. It's easier for me to think of people like Joe Dodge and Brad Washburn than whoever runs the joint now.

And let's face it: the White Mountains are a suburban sandbox. I applaud the variety of commentary (like KDT's) that questions their methods.

The AMC has its good & bad. I'm a member, but not an acolyte. Now if you asked if I were a New England yankee (albeit a suburban, middle-class one), then I'd be an eager joiner.

Meanwhile, I've never met a rude representative, and coexist.

I wonder what y'all would have to say about The Ausable Club!

--M.

I stopped in the Highland Center once and looked around. I thought the place was beautiful and the staff members I encountered were helpful and friendly. However, the prices were outrageous and out of my reach for even a weekend stay with the family. This is unfortunate, given the proximity of the place to various hiking trails and the fact that it is run by an organization that should be hiker friendly and therefore could be a little more conscious of hikers on a budget. Plus, I cannot say I felt comfortable around most of the patrons I encountered. The place looked more like a YUPPIE convention than anything else.

Bottom line for me, with a beer budget I cannot afford champagne. So it looks like the Highland Center is out for me.

I have analyzed the situation based on reading the posts on this thread. My conclusion is that the operators of the Highland Center decided that giving out free stuff to hikers is not a good business model.

Our family enjoys the AMC and the hut system in general, and the huts are no more expensive (cheaper, actually), than the rifugios in the Italian Alps (where we've had the pleasure of hiking in years past). The atmosphere is similar...hikers staying up there, hiking hut-to-hut, exploring the mountains, having a grand time.

There are many other places to stay in the White Mountains, so I guess I don't feel any resentment toward the Highland Center for being more expensive than some would wish it to be.

Our family enjoys the AMC and the hut system in general, and the huts are no more expensive (cheaper, actually), than the rifugios in the Italian Alps (where we've had the pleasure of hiking in years past). The atmosphere is similar...hikers staying up there, hiking hut-to-hut, exploring the mountains, having a grand time.

I love the AMC huts, but I stayed in 10 huts in the Alps in 2007 (with full dinner, 1/2 breakfast) and they were all cheaper, even with the poor USD$ at the time. Plus, Rifigio Bonatti in Italy (the nicest hut I've ever stayed in) had amazing beer on tap (I think they helicopter in the kegs) :D

the place is awesome for taking a crap on your way to climb in crawford notch.
I have to concur. I can care less if that place costs $10,000 a night. You can walk in and use the crapper and nobody gives you errr... crap... about it. It's better than the horrible pit toilet across the street at the Crawford Connector Parking Lot. Plus, I oftentimes park in their lot and nobody has ever had an issue. I don't care much about the AMC, good or bad, and in fact, I don't really think about it much other than, "sweet, I can stop at the Highland Center to take a dump..."

FWIW, I am clean and tidy when I use their facilities and try not to scare anybody. I'd hate to see this free amenity withdrawn.

-Dr. Wu

Strawman

It was incredibly disheartening and frustrating reading the majority of the posts above. I have been involved with the AMC's urban youth program the past three years. In that time, the program has helped get over 15,000 youth on outdoor trips. I'm assuming everybody here knew that was happening.
C'mon. The fact that the AMC provides some level of social resources for the underprivileged doesn't shield them from criticism. And besides, this thread is a critique of the Highland Center, not of the entire AMC. If people think the Highland Center sucks than so be it. Personally, I like to use their bathroom and that's good enough for me. But give me Barnes Field any day of the week... save money for food and alcohol. Plus, I can't see the Highland Center appreciating Unfrozen Caveman's bonfires and everyone eating and drinking until they vomit on one another. But if other people enjoy the Highland Center that's fine by me. I just poop there.

-Dr. Wu

Last edited:
The main thing I learn from threads such as these is that people like to complain.... :D :rolleyes:

Historically, the AMC has deep roots in the Boston (Harvard) elite who explored the White Mountains and motivated trail development, guide books, and so forth, all things that hikers still benefit from today. Some subsequently built summer "cottages" (mini-mansions and starter castles) in local towns and dedicated themselves to "upgrading" the cultural and recreational possibilities in NH. Like all colonizing efforts, the message was mixed and it was received in a mixed fashion. Pinkham Notch does not reflect much of that ethos; the HC does. Whenever I see the HC, I remind myself that much of what hikers take for granted today, want, and complain when they don't have, came out of the elite mind-set of the early AMC. Developments like the HC are not inevitable, of course. Personally, I prefer the way the Randolph Mountain Club developed its facilities. (P.S. I am a member, nevertheless.)

The astute anthropologist could learn a lot about individual's bathroom habits as well.

-Dr. Wu

No thank you, not my dept. ;) I'll leave that to those more enthused with said subject matter.

It was incredibly disheartening and frustrating reading the majority of the posts above. I have been involved with the AMC's urban youth program the past three years. In that time, the program has helped get over 15,000 youth on outdoor trips. I'm assuming everybody here knew that was happening.

I am 28 years old and many of the posts above serve as a positive reminder for me to always question my snap judgments and not allow bitterness or entitlement to enter my worldview as I get older and hopefully wiser. The lack of perspective here is startling.

I debated speaking to individual quotes above, but will save my time as these comments seem to be a recurring, ingrained theme.

except that most people commenting aren't rushing to snap judgement. we were there before the highland center and over the years have seen the AMC turn their backs (IMO) on the regular hiker.

we are entitled to our opinions too. Thats great that your bringing 15,000 youth to the mountains - but its tough for me (and many others I suspect) to afford to bring my family to any AMC facility overnight. which is why I support local campgrounds....

AMC is what it is - but I don't have to be a member. I think they do some good, but not enough to overshadow what I don't like about them.

Last edited:
The HC is but one aspect of the AMC. Yes it is not most people's schtik.

I prefer Camp Dodge. I enjoy trail work. This place offers bunks, food, tools and showers to all volunteers. And it is a great place to take a dump. (Dr. Wu I think a book deal is calling you..."Places to Take a Dump in the White Mountians. The Regular Hikers' Guide.)

I was young...

"I am 28 years old and many of the posts above serve as a positive reminder for me to always question my snap judgments and not allow bitterness or entitlement to enter my worldview as I get older and hopefully wiser. The lack of perspective here is startling."

and idealistic once, too. Then I got older and wiser.

I think what you're doing is great, but it is only one aspect of the AMC.

KDT

I love the AMC huts, but I stayed in 10 huts in the Alps in 2007 (with full dinner, 1/2 breakfast) and they were all cheaper, even with the poor USD$ at the time. Plus, Rifigio Bonatti in Italy (the nicest hut I've ever stayed in) had amazing beer on tap (I think they helicopter in the kegs) :D

Hmmmm...we were there the summers of 2004, 2005, and 2006. We stayed in a handful each time-- and there were roughly the same cost as what we pay for the AMC huts here now.

And I have to disagree with you...Rifigio Lagazuoi is the best, at least of the ones we stayed...;)

I prefer Camp Dodge. I enjoy trail work. This place offers bunks, food, tools and showers to all volunteers. And it is a great place to take a dump. (Dr. Wu I think a book deal is calling you..."Places to Take a Dump in the White Mountians. The Regular Hikers' Guide.)
Thanks, but most people would probably be turned off by Chapter 1: "Cloth vs. Plastic Diapers."

-Dr. Wu

Status
Not open for further replies.