OH/Twins/Zealand Traverse + Carrigain to Complete My Single Season Summer 48

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LRiz

Reaction score
Mileage: 27.8
Vertical: 7,550 feet

This past weekend Cath and I embarked on a rather interesting hike – a “traverse” (if you can even call it that) of Owl’s Head, the Twins, and Zealand. What an adventure it was. While Owl’s Head is one of my favorite mountains (and therefore always worth the journey to me), it’s certainly exciting to find ways to combine it with other peaks. The weather was fantastically lovely, and our route brought us deep into the heart of the Pemi – terrain that was very new to me. Okay, I must admit that the Lincoln Brook trail (past the Owl’s Head slide) really tested my patience. The Twin Brook trail, however, is an absolute gem.

While out on the trail, we had the pleasure of running into a whole slew of hiking friends, which made the trip all the more exciting. A few pictures from the day:

IMG_3086.jpg

IMG_3095.jpg

IMG_3098.jpg

IMG_3104.jpg

IMG_3112.jpg

IMG_3119.jpg

Upon tagging Zealand, I was only one peak away from completing my single season summer list. Carrigain – the mountain looked so close from the Zeacliff outlook:

IMG_3130.jpg

Although I had planned on completing my finishing hike with a friend, those plans fell through and I ended up venturing out on my own. Fortunately, the temperatures were cool and the weather (once again) just perfect. I made it up to the ridge in decent time, and ended up having the summit entirely to myself. The views were, without a doubt, the most spectacular that I’ve ever experienced on Carrigain. What a special peak it is.

IMG_3144.jpg

IMG_3159.jpg

IMG_3163.jpg

This was my fastest single season NH48 completion to date – 14 hikes over the course of 51 days. I've now consecutively single seasoned 3/4 of 2009. Bring on the fall! :D

Congratulations on your finish - you had a gorgeous weekend for your final peaks!!! Are you going to try to do your single season fall in less time than summer ;)

congrats!
it was nice hiking with you a couple times this summer, hopefully be able to hike some more with you without slowing you down!

Congratulations on another wonderful season of hiking!!!!!

I have often wondered about the Lincoln Brook Trail past the OH herdpath -- and once considered using it as a loop hike (Bonds, Twins)...sounds like you had an amazing hike out there, checking out new trails!

Let me know if you ever want to recreate that route, I need all of those peaks for my second round and love checking out new trails!
:)

Super fun day Ms La-Riz :cool:
Thank you for getting me out & away from work!!!
Your photo's are gorgeous ~

Great to see Bob & Amy (!), & meet Bobby. Had
the trails to ourselves from S. Twin till Zealand Hut.

Where will the ice cream "finish" be this week ? ;)

Congrats on your successful summer..

carrigain such a great view on a day like you had..

I like the OH/Twins/Zealand Route..you must like the South Twin climb better than anything:)

Rock on! 48 peaks in 51 days...slow poke! ;-)

Your pics made me miss the whites/New England in general. But keep 'em coming!

I was actually surprised that I was able to finish in 51 days, since I was not 100% focused on the list. Lots of repeat peaks this time around before the actual completion!

Hope you're able to come back to the Whites for a visit soon!

Congratulations on your finish - you had a gorgeous weekend for your final peaks!!! Are you going to try to do your single season fall in less time than summer

Thanks! This past weekend might well have been the best one we've had so far this summer. After 5 weeks of not chasing any lists I might be able to bang out the fall SS48 in pretty good time. ;)

congrats!
it was nice hiking with you a couple times this summer, hopefully be able to hike some more with you without slowing you down!

Definitely. We cranked out some pretty decent hikes there, my friend. I can't wait to get out and hike with you again!

As Reagan would have said, "There you go again!".

:cool:

Congrats! Looking forward to hearing more about your adventures.

Thank you! I have a few more in the works for this summer... ;) Can't wait to see you and Alex again for the big finish.

Great pics, congrats on your SSS48! It was nice to meet you and Cath, and it's great to see that you had two fine days!

Great to meet you as well! Lots of friendly, familiar faces out in the Pemi this weekend. :)

Congratulations on another wonderful season of hiking!!!!!

I have often wondered about the Lincoln Brook Trail past the OH herdpath -- and once considered using it as a loop hike (Bonds, Twins)...sounds like you had an amazing hike out there, checking out new trails!

Let me know if you ever want to recreate that route, I need all of those peaks for my second round and love checking out new trails!

OH/Twins/Bonds would make for an absolutely incredible hike. I would love to join you on that one... it's been far too long since we hiked together. Let me know when you're up for going.

Great photos as usual.Doing OH with any other peak is fantastic.

Thanks! I'm going to have to check out the Lincoln Slide route next. Hopefully in winter. I'll try not to lose my snowshoes. ;)

Where will the ice cream "finish" be this week ?

You tell me! It'll have to be somewhere awesome, though, as we will be unofficially celebrating my birthday. :)

Congratulations that's very impressive! and the summer's not even over

Thank you for the kind words. It's quite nice to be done early this time around, as I'll now have time to pursue some non-list-related goals... wait, nevermind. I'm sure I'll end up working on grid peaks. :p

Now you won't have anything to do until fall begins...

Doug

There's always the grid. I also think I could do the Pemi Loop over and over and not get bored with it. ;)

CONGRATULATIONS!

What an outstanding accomplishment, and what fabulous photos!

Thank you for the congratulations. The evening light on Zeacliff was especially stunning - it made for some pretty cool shots!

I like the OH/Twins/Zealand Route..you must like the South Twin climb better than anything:)

The Twin Brook trail in particular was a real surprise - just lovely! It's a great route.

...and yes, I do very much enjoy the climb up South Twin, except when I've overdosed on brownies/cookies/other sugary items from the hut. That makes it absolutely miserable! Lesson learned: NO eating until the South Twin summit next time around. :)

Congrats, LRiz, especially for getting Cath to take some time off work in the non-winter season. :)

Ha! It's pretty easy to get her out right now as we're kind of in training... ;)

Very nice pics, as usual. Nice view from Zeacliff; nice light. Makes me want to go there now!

happy trails :)