Pack Repairs

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giggy

Reaction score
My favorite climbing pack lost a side compression strap. not sure how it happened, but it got cut (maybe an ice axe, etc..) and I had to cut the rest off.

I would hate to buy a new pack as I like this one and with the exception of that, its in great shape...

I can't sew and have no interest in learning how... and I want it sewed on really good.

any thoughts of a place (would prefer MA if possible) that would repair this and replace the strap (no longer have it)... I really don't feel like mailing the thing, etc..

thanks!

I know that the EMS store in Peterborough will repair just about anything, not sure about other stores. You might want to call the nearest location to check.

Get a strap, usually just a piece of 3/4" or 1/2" webbibng n a couple slide loc buckles available at any camping store. Take it to a shoe repair shop n explain what you want him to do. They will sew it on for you for a couple of bucks.

ask ferrisjrf.

he sews like a mo-fo.

and this way, if it breaks again, you have someone to blame, readily available.

Is there a stump of the old strap left? if there is any left, that makes it easier, since the new strap can just be sewn onto that. But if the strap is ripped out and missing, then the whole side seam needs to be opened and a new strap sewed in, that makes it a bit more of a chore.

I second the shore repair shop recommendation.

that must be one seriously sharp ice axe. might want to cover that with something.

I'm outta 69 weight thread (not a joke, perverts) right now, but I could get my hands on some by next week.

Just let me know. Will sew for beer.

You haven't lived until you buy an awl and some heavy-duty pack thread and sew it back together yourself. I had to come off the NLP Trail and go to the outdoor store in Keene Valley (?) to get an awl to sew a strap back on to my backpack. Really hard to balance the big load with just one strap. Of course, I've carried the awl ever since--I think that phenomenon is called "gear creep"--need it once, carry it always.

Last edited:
I had to do the same thing when I fell most of the way down Bemis and tore my pack. I used a sewing needle and some Spiderwire kevlar thread, which is found in the fishing department of many finer large industrial-warehouse-style stores. Harder than anything to even cut, and I've never had to worry about the stitches letting go. I think it was 60 pound test, but is braided and not monofilament, so it acts like regular thread.

You haven't lived until you buy an awl and some heavy-duty pack thread and sew it back together yourself. I had to come off the NLP Trail and go to the outdoor store in Keene Valley (?) to get an awl to sew a strap back on to my backpack. Really hard to balance the big load with just one strap. Of course, I've carried the awl ever since--I think that phenomenon is called "gear creep"--need it once, carry it always.
Ye olde Speedy Stitcher: http://www.rei.com/product/602118

Doug

I had to do the same thing when I fell most of the way down Bemis and tore my pack. I used a sewing needle and some Spiderwire kevlar thread, which is found in the fishing department of many finer large industrial-warehouse-style stores. Harder than anything to even cut, and I've never had to worry about the stitches letting go. I think it was 60 pound test, but is braided and not monofilament, so it acts like regular thread.
Actually, one might prefer the thread to be weaker than the material in the hope that the seam will give way before the fabric rips. Seams are easier to fix than torn fabric.

Doug

I used a sewing needle and some Spiderwire kevlar thread, which is found in the fishing department of many finer large industrial-warehouse-style stores. Harder than anything to even cut, and I've never had to worry about the stitches letting go. I think it was 60 pound test, but is braided and not monofilament, so it acts like regular thread.

It's also excellent as a fishing line :D The low/no-stretch nature of Spiderwire and its thin diameter makes it ideal for deep sea fishing - far better than braided dacron (no stretch, but thick) or nylon monofilament (stretchy.)

Tim

I carry a curved upholstery needle and a bobbin spool wound with some heavy duty polyester boot thread in my "gear first aid" kit. much smaller than an awl. with a leatherman and/or thimble to hold the needle you could sew through just about anything.

I like that spiderwire idea. Might have to find some of that.
I've also heard waxed dental floss is surprisingly tough and waterproof.

I've also heard waxed dental floss is surprisingly tough and waterproof.

I have a day pack that I reattached the shoulder strap with dental floss 5+ years ago. Still holding strong, so I never bothered to re-sew it with thread. Probably cheaper than Spiderwire too!

Hey, Giggy. If you do it yourself with a funky hand stitching, then people can ask you "When will your pack get better so it's stitches can come out?" :p

Another option is to go the salty route and use the equipment used to repair sails. Needles are triangular and very strong. You push them through the strap/fabric with a sailmaker's palm. The thread is waxed, which makes it much easier to work with.