Presidential Traverse

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wicked awesome hike! I had a great time although I did get a little sad being in the clouds most of the way to Washington...I had thought of bailing but I'm glad I didn't...the Southern P's were just amazing!

Thanks again Giggy for doing all the planning. Great pictures everyone....thanks for sharing.

-MEB

Thanks for writing up the report, Gillian. What a great day and a great group! I too was getting a little frustrated with being in the clouds for so long, especially since all of the rocks were wet and I was finding myself on my butt a little more than I would have liked. But the climb up Madison was beautiful and the southern part of the trip really saved the day. The DW Scout Trail was really cool, but I'm not sure that I would do that again to start a traverse hike. The only other time I did a presi traverse I hiked the Watson Path and liked that better, FWIW.

In the clouds or not, looks like a great day - I love the shots from above the cloud layers...

Glad to hear Dave's OK - can't have a Chicken Man with only one wing!

I saw you guys started at 5AM, but didn't see the finish time - how long did it take? Was it as hot up there as everywhere else? It didn't look too bad from the pics...

Scott

The main group (except for Team Zoom-Zoom) said they came out around 6:00 or 6:30, so figure 13 hours.

WinterWarlock said:
In the clouds or not, looks like a great day - I love the shots from above the cloud layers...

Glad to hear Dave's OK - can't have a Chicken Man with only one wing!

I saw you guys started at 5AM, but didn't see the finish time - how long did it take? Was it as hot up there as everywhere else? It didn't look too bad from the pics...

Scott

I think it was about 6:15pm when most of us came in. Chomp and Brian trail ran down and I think they said they came about about 45 minutes earlier. We didn't take too many rest stops and those we did were no longer than 5 or 10 minutes tops. We did not hike jackson - webster. The washington break was roughly 45 minutes.

It was a nice solid, but not too fast pace the entire day. Just a nice hike really.

It was very humid most of the day, it was hot but not oppressive IMO - the winds helped in that regard.

rough timelines (going on memory)

8am - madison
9am adams
11am jefferson
1pm - washington
2:30pm monroe
4pm ike
6:20pm - cracking ice cold bud light in lot
6:21pm - cracking 2nd ice cold bud in lot
6:22pm - cracking 3rd ice cold bud in lot

Checked the timeline on my pics and Giggy you're right on.

Within 15 minutes give or take,,,,,on all of them, I had a pic on Pierce at 4:45...sign pic at start of hike at 5:05, so my clock on the camera had to be pretty close to right. And I had a parking lot pic at 6:20 ..................

It was sticky clamy, but thankfully that wind stayed with us and a few clouds to keep it pretty nice, especially after we left Washington.

Darl58 said:
The first beer was in the pic at 6:20...after that 1st beer the camera and taking pics was a second thought... :D
Sounds like "camera shutter recovery time" may have been a concern also ! ;)

After feeling good and still being able to walk at Paradise and on friday, after Rainier, I feel I'm finally ready for a traverse. What's on the calendar there ?

luckily, the parking lot beers were just a warm up for the evening, although i only made it until 11 or so. a few miles then a few beers = bed time!!!

giggy said:
It was a nice solid, but not too fast pace the entire day. Just a nice hike really.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

giggy said:
6:20pm - cracking ice cold bud light in lot
6:21pm - cracking 2nd ice cold bud in lot
6:22pm - cracking 3rd ice cold bud in lot
Pamola and I will be meeting to discuss drumming you out of Views and Brews! :eek:

:D

Great report, G, and great hike, everyone!

What sucked for me was getting sick about 3/4 of the way up the Daniel Webster Trail. Why? Lack of sleep gave me an upset stomach, I couldn't get food to stay down, and without food I was slowing down. Tried to force a breakfast in me, and, well, it wasn't pretty.

That said, I had a wonderful hike nonetheless, up with Sabrina, Kim, and Terra, then down to Appalachia with the Walking Wounded. It was a great day to be up in the cool breezes above treeline, and I really enjoyed the views of King Ravine while hanging out on the side of Air Line. 8 miles, 4565' of vertical, and no summits, how'd I manage that?

But never again on the absinthe. It started out wonderful but when I crashed, I crashed hard. Sheesh!

I have a photo album posted for your enjoyment, or for printing out and wrapping fish.

MichaelJ said:
and I really enjoyed the views of King Ravine while hanging out on the side of Air Line.
mja.jpg

Yup, you looked pretty happy about things there ...

:D