Presidential Traverse

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gillian

Reaction score
Exeter, NH; Avatar: Carrauntoohill, Co. Kerry, Ire
Presidential Traverse, Saturday, June 7th

In the wee hours of Saturday last, 5am, our crew, Mookie, 7 Summits, Skimom, Woody, Giggy, Chomp, Doug, Jen, Darl58, Brian, MEB, Little Sister, and I gathered at the Daniel Webster Scout trail. MichaelJ, Una_dogger and Terra started out with us too, on their planned Madison & Adams hike. The day started out with partly cloudy skies and oh, was it muggy, but it was lovely to be in the woods bright and early with the sunlight shining through the trees and the thought of the fun, challenging, hike ahead. We kept a steady pace up the DWS passing another group of hikers who were also traversing the presi's that day - a yearly event for them. We were in for a real treat when we hiked above treeline and looked down at a sea of clouds below us stretching for miles around with blue clear skies above us. Continuing on we came upon Dave Metsky and Mountaingirl who had started up the trail before us. After a short break at the junction we continued towards the summit being extra careful on the wet slick rocks. We didn't stay long on the windy Madison summit where it was hard to stay upright and headed down to the hut. Unfortunately, Dave took a tumble close to the summit, straining his arm, wrist and fingers, and ending up with a bloody shin. As you can imagine this made for difficult hiking so Dave went down the Valley way accompanied by Jen....I hope your arm is feeling better Dave.
Following a break at the hut we continued on the Star Lake trail. Appreciating the view of the lake to our left, it was fun to hike this path (which I hadn't taken before), and to take the steep climb with some minor scrambling to the summit of Adams. No views to speak of from here and we didn't sit around too long in the wind. Once negotiating the slippy craggy rocks down we enjoyed the slightly better footing on the Gulfside trail towards Jefferson. We had some occasional impressive views of the great gulf to our left, enjoyed the hike across the snowfield on Jefferson before reaching the socked in summit. Sheltered from the wind beside the giant cairn just below Jefferson we took a break. A cute puppy dog was all of a sudden my best pal when I took out my banana and peanut better sandwich....obviously a very good eye for gourmet trail food.
We continued our hike in the thick clouds, some of us taking the path over Clay and others skirting around. Skimom was so caught up in the amazing views (well maybe not) from the summit of Clay that she neglected to pick up her navy baseball cap (this is not a "lost & found" listing ;) The climb to the highest peak was very windy but fortunately the wind was at our backs and helped us along to the top of Agiocochook, aka, Mt. Washington. We took a good break at the Summit House before continuing on, refreshed, down to the Lakes of the Clouds. On reaching the hut some of us enjoyed eye candy while others went in search of chocolate candy - namely brownies, however, none was to be found....
By the time we reached the summit of Monroe and then Eisenhower the skies had cleared and we had excellent views of the whole range….very special. Brian and Chomp had a burst of enery and took off running down the Crawford path for 302 …the rest of us followed at a sensible pace in the warm late afternoon sun. After summiting Pierce we headed down the final stretch and it felt so looonnnggg but the trail finally came to an end despite our doubts that.... it.... would....actually....end....
What a treat! The two lads picked up some "refreshments" for us which we all enjoyed in the evening sun before heading off to Barnes for a follow-up.

I didn't have a camera myself but here's some pics that Brian took - he would post them himself but he's not a member.....

http://community.webshots.com/album/563738587WGjEuw

Last edited:
Great report and pictures! That was a fun hike. After enduring the crappy weather and increasingly sore knee all morning long, I was so close to bail from Washington, but was glad I continued on and rewarded by a gorgeous sunny afternoon on the southern presidential range with friends. Great company and wonderful weekend. How's the arm, Dave?

Here are my share of the pictures, enjoy!
http://www.huiyengchang.com/hike/08presi/

Nice pictures 7Summits. loved those pictures of the undercast skies.. Looked like a nice day and a nice hike.

Hope your arm gets better ChickenMan ;)

Jay

It was a great day, even with the injuries. My wrist and a few fingers are still sore, but I can still type so I'll be fine. :)

Congrats to the Traverse team, who are hiking machines. Our little troop (The Walking Wounded) hung out at the hut until our savior (Annalisa) arrived. She had a car at Appalachia. We took Airline down and had a fine time ourselves.

It's funny that we all took the same pictures on Madison. I think everyone has that great shot of the undercast.

-dave-

I think my wife and I saw you guys on the Gulfside trail just below thunderstorm junction. We were the couple that was with the dog that is my avatar.

Awesome!

Awesome!
thanks GG for writing up the report. Thanks brian and seven summits for the photos. most of all thanks to Gig for putting it all together!!!!
Dave, glad to hear that you are able to type.
Skimom, i went to the bank yesterday so im all set!

oh....thanks for the delicious grill shrimps Hui Yeng - you are quite the cook! and thanks Gig and Una_dogger for putting a very fun camping weekend together. I hope Terra's little's paws heal up very quickly ......
Glad you got to go to the bank mookie...

nice report GG!! :)

in the words of the maine girls - super fun day!!! :cool: :cool:

Chomp/Brian: you rule for getting the cold ones at the end!!

Glad the arm is better dave

thanks Hui Yang and Dave Bear for the food - it was awesome,

Congrats to the folks did their first traverse!! Thats always a nice feeling.

Last edited:
Weekend of fun!

Great TR Gillian! Thanks for getting the ball started.

I had a really fun weekend hiking with everyone, even with the new battle scars on my leg.... The conditions worked out great, and was glad that the skies opened up for the ones that hadn't been up in the Northern Presi's. Nice way to see them, with a Presi Taverse!!

That river felt soooo good and cold at the end of the hike, but nothing compared with those cold ones waiting for us in the parking lot! Thanks team zoom zoom!! Hey, Brain--nice injury pics.....

Davebear, thanks for keeping that fire roaring keeping the bugs away and only catching a few of us on fire! (kidding) Woody, thanks for leaving the axe for me..I feel like it's mine now! Dave, glad to hear you're still typing. Hope it heals fast.

Great food and fun night together with new hiking friends! Thanks for letting me join in the fun! Can't wait for more hikes! Hui Yeng, we will want more of your cooking now!! Yum, Yum!!

Nice job putting this together Giggy!

http://picasaweb.google.com/hikerdd13/PresiTraverse

Reactions: MEB
Some of my photos from the hike:
mad02a.jpg

mad04a.jpg

mad25a.jpg

The rest are here: http://www.hikethewhites.com/gallery/v/madison2/

What?... Giggy organized... no rain... Man, I see a shifting of the poles in our future.
Awesome stuff, folks!

You guys had absinthe?!

:eek:

Heehee, I love it!!
(Shoulda brought some to Alaska! :rolleyes: )

Sue

Reactions: arm
Yes Dave Bear, thanks for the delicious chicken cutlets, they're perfectly cooked. I'm glad you guys like the satay chicken, it was relatively easy to make. This is the recipe that I loosely followed.

Mookie, I'm sure we'll have a team Zoom-Zoom reunion hike in the future :cool: