Rob Brook Trail -- Redliner Question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John in NH

Reaction score
I noticed that the Rob Brook Trail off Bear Notch Road near the Kanc and Swift River trails is not listed on the newer 29th edition spreadsheet. Is that a mistake, or is there a reason it was taken intentionally off the list? Do I need to hike it to be a redliner? I had started the endeavor using the 28th edition spreadsheet on 48x12.com and it is listed in that one.
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
This trail was closed a few years ago due to lack of maintenance and constant damage from beavers and flooding. It's a shame because it was a neat trail through a lesser-used area of the Whites. You can probably still follow much of it as most of it was an old logging railroad grade, but it's pretty grown over.

Thank you both for the info.

Kltilton-- Did sound interesting especially this time of year. I was thinking it might be nice as part of day hitting the shorter trails off the kanc for foliage and moose sighting maybe. But I think I'll put it on the backburner.

And as for the technicality, if you are trying to redline the 28th edition, I think you are allowed to skip closed trails - it's a 'best effort' criteria.

As for that area, the Brunel Trail is really beautiful, and you can access it via Bear Notch road on some forest roads and avoid the waterlogged sections of Rob Brook. It'll save you from having to ford the Swift River. If you're looking for a bigger day you could drop a car at the Mt. Tremont Trailhead and go over Owl's Cliff and Tremont. If you want a really big day, start from Sawyer Pond and go down to the Swift River and then turn around and go to 302 via Owl's Cliff and Tremont - that would be a spectacular fall hike.

I don't see where it matters if the USFS closes a trail. From what I see, if you feel they (USFS) doesn't have a right to close it, then you are allowed to use it as often as you'd like.

Off subject, but I have noticed that the Colonel Whipple Tr in Jefferson and the Discovery Tr in Lincoln are not on the spreadsheet either. They are both on the current AMC maps.

Bring waders. The Rob Brook Trail basically goes through a swamp.

Flooding, and the very low usage, is basically why the trail was discontinued. It is a pretty area however, especially in winter when everything is frozen over.

Off subject, but I have noticed that the Colonel Whipple Tr in Jefferson and the Discovery Tr in Lincoln are not on the spreadsheet either. They are both on the current AMC maps.

The 29th Edition spreadsheet basically lists everything with a description in the book, so some trails displayed on the maps may not appear, while lots of trails excluded from the reach of the maps do appear.

The Discovery Trail is called the Forest Discovery Trail (and loop) and is on the Carrigain sheet.

The 29th Edition spreadsheet basically lists everything with a description in the book, so some trails displayed on the maps may not appear, while lots of trails excluded from the reach of the maps do appear.

Among other trails not in the 28th that were added to the maps of the 29th Ed. is a nifty little network in Tamworth that traverses the Big Pines Natural Area and goes to the summit of Great Hill and its firetower, which has terrific views. This includes the Betty Steele Loop Trail, Peg King Spur Trail and a couple of others, as I recall. They are described in the text, but in an aggregate fashion - no one of them gets its own conventional Trail entry. I was disappointed to note their omission from the spreadsheet after I hiked them on the spur of the moment last year, but I recognize that speadsheet-builders have to draw the line somewhere.

Maybe their omission will spare them from the redlining hordes (self excepted, of course).:)

Among other trails not in the 28th that were added to the maps of the 29th Ed. is a nifty little network in Tamworth that traverses the Big Pines Natural Area and goes to the summit of Great Hill and its firetower, which has terrific views. This includes the Betty Steele Loop Trail, Peg King Spur Trail and a couple of others, as I recall. They are described in the text, but in an aggregate fashion - no one of them gets its own conventional Trail entry. I was disappointed to note their omission from the spreadsheet after I hiked them on the spur of the moment last year, but I recognize that speadsheet-builders have to draw the line somewhere.

I was lobbying to get them a proper mention in the guidebook, but I think it came down to space. Fantastic views from that fire tower.

And as for the technicality, if you are trying to redline the 28th edition, I think you are allowed to skip closed trails - it's a 'best effort' criteria.
My personal take would be that to hike all the trails in a past edition, you need to hike them as they were then - if that's impossible, do a current edition

Otherwise a lot of people can claim completing some old editions where most of the trails are gone or relocated

The Discovery Trail is called the Forest Discovery Trail (and loop) and is on the Carrigain sheet.

Thanks you, now I see . I guess I'll have to make a pit stop next time I'm driving back along the Kanc. The WMG does mention the Colonel Whipple Tr in one of the other trail descriptions. Says something along 2.5 miles and brushy, but it doesn't have it's own write up.

Thanks you, now I see . I guess I'll have to make a pit stop next time I'm driving back along the Kanc. The WMG does mention the Colonel Whipple Tr in one of the other trail descriptions. Says something along 2.5 miles and brushy, but it doesn't have it's own write up.

I tried to hike the Col Whipple Trail a few months ago - VERY waterlogged and too brushy for me..... blech.....I turned back about a tenth of a mile in after the 2nd or so brook/trail crossing

I did Whippple a couple months ago and it had dried out. It was not used much, so it was a little brushy at the south end. The northrrn part was nice though. Not the worst trail out there for sure. The recent bog bridge work helped a lot.

I took a couple unknowing *at the time* friends on the Rob Brook trail a few yrs back...........We had to wade through the swamp to get to our spotted car........ewwww, it was pretty gross. Sent the tall guy first to watch how much he sank into the soft sand...........atleast you could SEE the bottom, otherwise..........NO way I would have plunged into that! But great idea to explore the area in the winter......when frozen!

Ha at least we knew enough to bring crocs!! did not matter as one croc got busted in the muck, went in at 5'11" and came out at 5'9"....a good area to do leach studies...hard to believe it was a railroad grade in there...but you are right Michelle as from in the swamp there are nice views of Owl's Cliff and Mt. Tremont, etc....

I hiked the Bunnel trail a couple weeks ago, from Rob Brook rd. In my opinion its a nice walk (or bike) to the trail, esp during foliage season. I wanted to check out the wet sections of Rob Brook trail but time was running low.

I did Whippple a couple months ago and it had dried out. It was not used much, so it was a little brushy at the south end. The northrrn part was nice though. Not the worst trail out there for sure. The recent bog bridge work helped a lot.

Agreed. I hiked it on a whim a couple months ago. The most annoying part for me was the northern end because there were random little mudholes hidden by the grass. But overall it was easy too follow minus one boggy section. Overall, it was a pretty trail with nice views of the mtns from Cherry Pond.

15383_923258036777_1854672038_n.jpg

12665_923258006837_1028913058_n.jpg