Shoestring Gully up Webster

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giggy

Reaction score
A few of the folks that frequent this site are planning on taking a stab at cool mountain this summer if all logistics work out. So the plan was get some decent mountaineering as a team in ASAP to see how things would mesh out. The original plan was north tri slide, but I was being selfish as usual and really wanted to hit some ice and steep snow, so suggested shoestring gully over on Webster. Everyone seem to dig that idea. Shoestring is a moderate climb by climbing standards, but is steep snow with a series of WI2 ice bulges for about 2000 vertical feet.

Players:
Giggy
Frodo
Arm
Chinnokktrail
darl58
Leaf
Spencer
Hamtero
Suebiscuit

Normally, when you plan something like this you ask 8 people and you might get 4 to actually show. not this time, we got 8 to show!!

If I am being honest, I was a bit skeptical of heading up a technical route with 8 people because it would be a shooting gallery of falling ice. Arm had to bail due to work - which sucks, cuz, I love climbing with arm and he was going to lead a rope.

I ran the opinion by frodo on what he wanted to do and he said, lets head up - it will be fun. Frodo has his shite together, so that was good enough for me. I was convinced it would be ok and it didn't take much, since shoestring was on my tick list for a couple of years and for whatever reason it never panned out.

So we headed up, crossed the river and thrashed our way over the boulder fields and into the gully proper. After a bit of a slog, but not too far really - we hit the first ice pitch.

We decided we would do 2 teams of 3 and one of 2 and stagger the entry onto the ice.

I led a rope with Spencer on the end and Sue in the middle. Frodo led one with hamtero and chinook and darlene lead leaf. This worked out good.

I led the first pitch of pretty much crap ice that was not very well bonded to the rocks and quite thin, but we managed to scrape and claw out way up as the ice wasn't hard to climb at all and was maybe 20-25 feet all said and done. I belayed the other 2 up from a tree and we coiled in the rope to cross the rocks and very easy snow to the next ice pitch.

The next 2 ice pitches were solid WI2 and very nice to climb and as we got higher the ice got very nice. Spencer and I switched off leads and I don't recall who lead what, I think I led 4 pitches and he led 2 or 3? The belays took 16cm screws and were pretty bomber to belay the others up - very very nice stuff. Sue hasn’t been on all that much technical ice, but it didn’t show - she swung and kicked her way up it all no problem as did Spencer. Spencer was climbing so fast, I was having trouble keeping the belay up with him!! Shoestring has a nice alpine feel to it being in bewtween to high rock walls.

Team Darlene and Frodo weren't far behind. There was a party above us that sent stuff down on us and we sent stuff down on folks below. Its climbing - it happens. I led the crux and set up another bomber anchor below the next pitch and belayed both sue and spencer up the steepest ice of day. Team Darlene went to the left of us an climbed a wall of rotten sunbaked ice and I was too high up and over the bulge to see - but I think team frodo followed us up the nice crux pitch.

After the crux pitch Spencer led the next one up the ice to the top and then I led up to the final snow field and belayed them off another tree and Spencer swung right up to the the small final bulge, popped in a couple screws - . from there I moved past them and we slung tress and simu-climbed the final steep snow field to the top.

Excellent day with amazing people that I would trust with my life anyday. Special kudos to Chinook who did her first technical multi-pitch climb and Darlene who led her first ice - but…she leads very technical rock, so not a big deal for her.

Sat night, we met BoB and Stoney in intervale, had pizza, beer and bruins game. The next day, stoney, spencer, bob, leaf and I hit willeys slide for a few pitches of great climbing there and had the place to ourselves - which I was shocked by. There was a party below, but they never climbed higher than the first pitch and were practicing self arrest or something.

Great weekend of swinging the tools and getting some good mountaineering in.

I didn’t bring a camera and will let folks fill in the gaps, tell their story, etc..

Spencer & Sue - great climbing with both of you - it was a pleasure!!

darlenes pix:
http://picasaweb.google.com/hikerdd13/ShoestringGullyIceClimb#

leafs pix:
http://hikingleaf.smugmug.com/

Sweeeeeet.

With a group that size I’m surprised someone didn’t have a helmet cam. Leaf ? for Christmas? :D

Pretty nice conditions for this time of year. It doesn’t look like you had much of a wind tunnel there either.

Nice Report Giggy, Rock On.

Ice!!!!

:DThanks for writing the TR Guy!

It was a fun day and gave some of us a chance to hang and climb together for the first time. Sue & Christine did a great job for not much or any ice experience.;)
Courtney was a sport to jump on my rope as my first ice lead...she even was cool with the alternate routes I chose.

The bulge on the left that we climbed to keep the group moving was crap at the base but actually really sweet hard ice over the bulge and the traverse on top. It was fun to have some vertical ice to climb. Hey, I was able to sling a little scrub bush that I'm sure would of held me from falling over the cliff wall...hmmmm :rolleyes:, Courtney was chuckling as she got to it. You use what is available!!

It was a great way to start the ice season!! Can't wait til we can get out and play again!!

Fun group of climbers!!

I ended up skiing with Nif on Sunday...relaxing fun day on the slopes! :)

Guy has attached our pics!!

sweet craig.. you're getting me a helmet cam for christmas? ;) then i can go all reality show on your a$$e$. it was a good weekend. thanks for TRing it up giggy.

Was this Saturday?

Myself and another guy climbed Shoestring on Saturday, first ones on the route. We met a soloist at the top who said he'd passed a large group down low...

Was this Saturday?

Myself and another guy climbed Shoestring on Saturday, first ones on the route. We met a soloist at the top who said he'd passed a large group down low...

yep. I like to think of it as "3 small groups". :D yes, we let him pass us as being alone, he was moving faster - nice guy. I chatted with him for a couple minutes.

Was this Saturday?

We heard that you were up there early....was wondering who was showering us with ice/snow.....(forgot who told us it was you)....memory lapse! :confused:

It was us right behind you and we let the solo guy by us. Just as we got to the start of the actual climbing we got a glimpse of you up above us.

I'm pretty sure I saw Nif's car go by just as we were leaving the car.

I kept hearing voices drift up the gully when we were on the last pitch, but the soloist was the only I guy I actually could see.

Saturday was definetly the nicer of the two days. We got blown around pretty good after topping out in Huntington on Sunday.

I have often wondered if I am too long in the tooth to learn to ice climb. I’m 54 and in good condition and I hike in all 4 seasons. I love to hike slabs and the north slide of the Tri and the Flume slide are two of my favorite hikes, yet for some reason I think I should have learned to ice climb in my 30’s or 40’s and that this ship just might have sailed.

I have often wondered if I am too long in the tooth to learn to ice climb. I’m 54 and in good condition and I hike in all 4 seasons. I love to hike slabs and the north slide of the Tri and the Flume slide are two of my favorite hikes, yet for some reason I think I should have learned to ice climb in my 30’s or 40’s and that this ship just might have sailed.
Nonsense, never too late. One of my climbing partners out in NH just turned 50 and climbs better than I do. Sign up for one of the beginner classes with one of the many schools/guides in the area and get a taste of it.
http://emsclimb.com/ice_basic.html

And granted he has been climbing for a while... but Guy Lacelle is 52 and climbing things most 20 year olds only aspire to climb:
http://www.alpinist.com/doc/web08x/wfeature-solo-lacelle