Shoestring Gully up Webster

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what???

Hey...you're talking to a 50 yr old Grandmother that just led her first ice climb......what does age have to do with anything!!!!!:eek:

I have often wondered if I am too long in the tooth to learn to ice climb. I’m 54 and in good condition and I hike in all 4 seasons. I love to hike slabs and the north slide of the Tri and the Flume slide are two of my favorite hikes, yet for some reason I think I should have learned to ice climb in my 30’s or 40’s and that this ship just might have sailed.

Hey...you're talking to a 50 yr old Grandmother that just led her first ice climb......what does age have to do with anything!!!!!:eek:
Geez, I completely forgot about you, Dar... I guess I just forgot that you were actually older than I am... although I haven't forgotten that you can kick my a$$ on rock! :D

Code:
Biscuit and I are both 50 but i feel like 48...she feels like 28

And you are both in better shape than most 18 year olds...:)

Nice TR Giggy and thanks to everyone for a fun, safe day with lots of laughs!

BTW Suebiscuit, you really need to have that leak in your DD enhancement looked at. :D

Nice TR Giggy! Excellent pics ladies! This is definitely one of those threads that gets you inspired to take on more of what's out there! Thank you all for sharing a trip that pictures and words can never give the full perspective.:cool: For anyone that has some time, money and desire to learn these skills, this looks like top notch in the fun activities department! Look forward to more of this awesome stuff!;)

By the way you 50 somethings look like graceful aging combined with a wealth of experience!:D

Thanks again to everyone for being so patient (especially Lloyd) and being such wonderful instuctors!

I had an amazing time for my first ice climb ever! Actually, a lot of firsts for me, first time with the axes, first time in my plastic boots, first time on a 'rope' and on and on...

I was not scared or apprehensive once! I felt completely safe and sound the whole time. Even on that one huge ice bulge where i did everything wrong! (I couldn't get either crampon to stick into anything, and one ice axe could not gain any purchase, so I just pulled myself up enough by my one ice axe and finally was able to dig in with my crampons and get the other axe to find a great solid place to be...) :eek:

I made a lot of mistakes, and can certainly understand how you can't learn this stuff from reading a book!

The day was 'totally wicked' and I can't wait to get out there and try it again!

Thanks again to everyone!

:)

Wow, looks like you all had a beautiful day! With a crew like that, it's no surprise everyone had a good (and safe) time. Sounds like excellent mixed conditions.

Way to go, you novices!

Gig, thanks for writing up our fab fun adventure! And thanks for teaching... good time with all of you!

Well, I felt like at least 28 and 1/2 going on 80 last Friday when I fell UP the concrete steps and smashed my knuckles, but nothing like some fun in the hills to remedy that!

Frodo, all I can say is never invest in cheap implants. They droop on you every time. Tried adding some Jell-O to them. We'll see if that helps.

all- thanks for the fab report. I haven't climbed any ice since some champney falls toproping in, oh.. 2005. You've encouraged me to get back out there this winter!

Gig, thanks for writing up our fab fun adventure! And thanks for teaching... good time with all of you!

Well, I felt like at least 28 and 1/2 going on 80 last Friday when I fell UP the concrete steps and smashed my knuckles, but nothing like some fun in the hills to remedy that!

Frodo, all I can say is never invest in cheap implants. They droop on you every time. Tried adding some Jell-O to them. We'll see if that helps.

Won't they freeze up more in the cold with the Jello? Maybe Prestone would be better.

Won't they freeze up more in the cold with the Jello? Maybe Prestone would be better.

Jello can be extracted and heated to bring one back from hypothermia in a survival situation.
Can you do that with Prestone?

forgot to mention a classic hamtero line whuich I cracked up when i heard it.

as he is coming up into the woods at the top -

"and now I can add this to my list of skills - bushwhacking at night with a rope"..

I cracked up:D

I have often wondered if I am too long in the tooth to learn to ice climb. I’m 54 and in good condition and I hike in all 4 seasons. I love to hike slabs and the north slide of the Tri and the Flume slide are two of my favorite hikes, yet for some reason I think I should have learned to ice climb in my 30’s or 40’s and that this ship just might have sailed.

My only concern here would be the kilt :eek: . Perhaps I'll lead ;) .

Do it. I'm 48 and getting my first set of technical axes for Christmas.

I added a few more pics. Great climb, everyone! I threw in a teaser pic of Willey's from Sunday.

Spencer

Great pics Spencer. So much fun with everyone! I did have implant envy with Sue.....then Spencer tried it, but only on one side...I've got to get me some of those!! Sue did have a little problem with support!!

I think I want something like Jello...I agree survival reserve, and it would jiggle so nicely!!! Hehe :eek:

Missed out on Willey's but won my boots on ebay, so it was worth it!!

Way to Go!!

Wow! Sounds like you all had a great climb. I wish I could have joined you instead of cleaning out my basement and going to the dump! Now that I have checked the basement off of my honey-do list, I'm getting my ice tools ready. I did manage to get a climb in of Right Gully in Tucks a couple of weeks ago, but I would have enjoyed a bit more ice.
Gig - I hope the beta was ok! Way to go!

um, gee Sue, I think I will just stick with drinking 'Bucca out of my Nalgene if it is all the same to you.

Nothing personal, but um.... EEEEWWWWWWW!!!

:eek: