The Long Trail 07/07/09 to 07/26/09

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome! Congratulations, a great job done by you and your cohorts :)

Ah, the sun shines where ever there are happy hikers. Of course, that's internal sun, sometimes the weather is just crap.

Way to go MEB, you're an inspiration to us all.

Awesome trip MEB...congratulations on your finish. It really sounds like you had a fun journey with a great group of people!!!

hey meb..you forgot to tell them about the special nights at the sauna...;)

Boy, that's just fabulous. This is the first summer in 8 years I haven't been out on the LT, so it was great to read and see the pics on it through your report. I love the Long Trail. Great to see you enjoyed it so much and with so many. Congrats and thanks for posting!

Great job MEB! So people are curious. . . trail names please? :D:eek::p

Way to go MEB! Great photos and report.

I've done the northern half to Middlebury Gap - this is inspiration to get back on.

MEB,

Tremendous!!! You guys are my hero...add me to the "jealous" list.:D

Cheers, Stu

Very nice report and pics!

I also almost never use rain gear for summer backpacking and gave up carrying rain pants 10 years ago. It's so much nicer to get wet from rain than sweat. When I do use rain gear it tends to be for things like covering my backpack or food bag when setting up camp for the night.

navigating by gazeteer

way to go MEB ! wicked fun day on the Long Trail with you and the gang

tough to leave Camels Hump summit on a perfect summer day ... momma nookie's cookies and frosty ales hit the spot !

spotted many animals that weekend ... a mama deer and her two fawn on the trail, a mama moose and her two calves swimming in a pond, bull moose on the trail, black bear chowing breakfast on a grassy knoll ... very cool :)

posted a few pics in the Vermont album here
http://community.webshots.com/user/armhike

posted a few movies of the moose and bear i saw that weekend
http://www.youtube.com/user/armmon

last time i hiked in Vermont, i hiked an AT section from Norwich to Hartford ... didn't have a map, so i snapped a picture of that area from my Vermont gazeteer
http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2376187670067739382OYwzAS

when i reached Hartford, i thought i could save time by walking south on Route 14, up Jericho St, if the path at the end connected to the AT, and wasn't private property ...

i asked a local if these roads connected, and if i could catch the AT ... she wasn't sure, but said Jericho Road was one of the most scenic roads in the area ... i went for it

Jericho Road forked off Jericho Street ... as usual, navigating using the gazeteer left a little to be desired, as roads were confusing

i asked another local on Jericho Road, showing her my rough gazeteer map on my digital camera screen ...

she figured i could catch the AT off Joshua Road, which was not marked on the map ... but said she liked my "GPS" ... i told her it was a digital camera, and she was impressed at the new (GPS) technology ... until i told her that it was just a picture i had taken of my gazeteer