The Long Trail 07/07/09 to 07/26/09

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MEB

Reaction score
On July 7th sister and I headed out on the Long Trail from North Adams, Ma. You have to walk a few miles in MA before reaching the southern terminus...and an exciting few miles we had....who would have guessed we would encounter some big thunder storms on our first day! Thankfully we survived and stayed at Congdon Shelter our first night out....good thing we did not stay at Seth Warner as planned...apparently there are a couple of fearless bears there who like to terrorize people!

The southern part of the trail was quite nice despite all the mud....everthing was so green and I can now see why it is called the Green Tunnel. We were able to get in a few big days which I had not anticipated. On our third day out my favorite Trail Angel met us on along the way....he had some Ben & Jerry's waiting for us back at the car....oh so nice! He also took us to town for some real food before dropping us off back at trail.

The forth night we camped out on Bromely Peak and had a most wonderful but sleepless night....the wind was blowing so the rain fly was flapping in the wind....the next morning we hiked down to Mad Tom Notch and waited for my Trail Angel to pick us up again....sad day as Rachel would be leaving today.

I had the next few days by myself....it was nice...had planned on staying overnight on Killington but hunger took over and I did my longest day...24 miles! Had a feast at the Long Trail Inn to reward myself for a hard day:) Three beers, a big salad, a big burger and creme brule have never tasted so good!

Mats joined me at Brandon Gap and this was when the trail started to become more difficult....tons of mud and lots of hills to go over. Two days later we made it to Lincoln Gap where Frank and Charles were waiting....I was very sad when I found out Jess was not going to be joining us as I was looking forward to some girl company. That night we stayed at the Stark's Nest....a most beautiful evening with a glorious sunset and a star filled night.....and the creature even made an appearance!

The following morning we all made out way to Appalachian Gap....found some interesting trail magic along the way...SueBiscuit and Arm were waiting for us at App Gap and we made the long day over to Camel's Hump. I am most greatful for Sherpa Mats who graciously carried my pack for me this day. This was also the day Sam joined us....thanks Arm for bringing some nice cold beverages and cookies for a summit celeration! This was by far my most favorite day on the trail!

The next day was a short one....me, Charles, Frank and Sam took a well deserved break in Jonesville....between the four of us we managed to eat three large pizza's and I'm not sure how much beer at the Bakery...awesome place! Thankfully we did not have too far to go once we got back on the trail:) I got my ass kicked the following couple of days as we made our way over several more mountains and mud filled trails. My feet were pruned up beyond recognition!!

Jess and Mats made the long drive up to hike with us for the last couple of days....more mud filled trails! I have never seen so much mud! We pushed hard and I had some tough days....but having such wonderful people with me kept me motivated. I had hoped for some views on Jay Peak but instead were in the wind and fog...still nice even without any views. By the time we made it to Journey's End the sun was out and it was hot! Thankfully there was a nice stream to cool off in before reaching the car.

The Long Trail is about 273 miles and I did the trail in 20 days...I never once used my rain jacket, pants or warm clothes. My boots failed on the second to last day and I'm not sure if they will ever dry out, I lost my gaiters somewhere around Madonna Peak, the zipper on the lid of my pack ripped apart and have I mentioned there was a boat load of mud? I feel very fortunate to have had so many wonderful friends join me along the way.....I can't express to you all how much this meant to me....I am greatful to have so many memories to bring home with me.

-MEB

some photos

http://picasaweb.google.com/meb207/TheLongTrail#

I also forgot to mention I also saw my first naked hiker!!! I always thought it was just talk but not anymore!!!!!

Wow! I feel so fortunate to have been able to spend the final 9 days of this trip with you (and Sam). In particular, the 4 or 5 killer days with just the three of us will live on as some of the most enjoyable and meaningful and hilarious hiking (dare I say what our trail names were?) that I've ever had. It was time spent with a great friend, a new friend and bookended by crazy weekends with Mats, Jess, Charles, Sue and Arm.

Love your pictures. Won't forget this trip anytime soon. Congratulations on finishing the new beginning of your journey...

-Dr. Wu

Reactions: arm
Fortunate indeed to be part of a portion of this adventure.......there is a lot more great stuff to say about MEB and great people on the trail but it's late.......

Way to go sister!! Glad I got to join you for some of the trail. You can come with me when I go back to finish the trail and we'll get the views you missed!! Great photos and summary of your adventure!

Way to go MEB!!! Sounds like your hike had a little bit of everything, and I for one am relieved to hear that the creature has relocated to Vermont.

Wy to go MEB!I'm glad you had a great trip evevn thogh you had to endure Mats AND Wu.Sweet pics.

I'm amazed that you didn't use your rain gear at all... as I recall, it sometimes rains in Vermont (Waterbury has been waterlogged most of the summer).

Congrats on the hike! What's next?

I'm amazed that you didn't use your rain gear at all... as I recall, it sometimes rains in Vermont (Waterbury has been waterlogged most of the summer).
Didn't need to wear rain gear! It just gets hot and you get sweaty under all that rain stuff. Best way to dry wet clothes, I found, is to keep wearing them when it stops raining. Besides, you get nearly as soaked from brushing up against wet plants, falling in the mud and sweat. Pretty nasty but that's all part of the fun! After 9 days I was pretty gross but I can't say that I was particularly uncomfortable in any way.

Someone ask MEB what our trail names were. She might have to PM you the answers.

-Dr. Wu

Great job and congrats on a nice hike and with so many friends to join you!!

Loved the pics!! :D

Really nice report and lots of fun pictures. Looks like you had a great time!! Glad to hear it, thanks.

Wicked awesome!!! Congratulations to have finished such a great feat with so many good friends! Awesome fun pictures and report! See you at BL?