Wildcats and Moriah to Complete My Single Season Spring 48 - 6/7/2009

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LRiz

Reaction score
For the past few weeks I'd been hoping to end my single season spring list with a bang - namely, a traverse of the Wildcats, Carters, and Moriah. The ever so kind (and might I add blowdown machine) MarcHowes had graciously offered to help me set up a car spot, and everything appeared to be falling smoothly into place...

...that is, until I hugely overslept. A change of plan was in order. Why not just the Cats?

I set off down the Lost Pond trail a little after 9:30. The conditions were just perfect, and I made surprisingly better time than anticipated up and across the Wildcat Ridge trail. Backtracking to D Peak and then jogging down Polecat, it struck me - even with the short roadwalk back to Pinkham, I still had ample time to attempt Moriah.

And that's what I did. Stony Brook it was.

There is something so wonderfully special about the stretch of trail between the Stony Brook junction and the summit of Moriah. It just resonates with me... and I can't explain why. The sky was filled with the oddest cloud formations, and steadily darkened as I approached the summit itself. Reaching the top, I did not linger, but quickly hurried down to avoid the onset of rain.

Prior to this year, I'd never climbed a single peak in March, April, or May. When I set a goal of "single seasoning" spring, I knew I'd encounter all sorts of fun conditions along the way. Stumbling inelegantly along a monorail is not usually fun, but I like to tell myself that it "builds character." Not only that, but succeeding in the face of adverse conditions certainly makes the completion of a hike all the more sweeter.

I won't ramble on. To conclude, a few pictures from my hikes today. Here's to two weeks of freedom before my summer list interferes...

P.S. Tom & Laurie - how fantastic it was to finally meet you in person this morning. Eric - a lovely surprise, bumping into you as well. Who'd have thought we'd both be out on the Cats!

Wow, check out those lenticular clouds (the UFO ones)! Great lighting for that shot. Was it windy up there that afternoon?

Jealousy is flowing that you "summer list" will interrupt for 2 weeks of freedom starting later this June. Have fun playing in the Whites!:)

grouseking

Last edited:
You are something to behold.

Congrats on another terrific season.

Now rest up. Summer is just around the corner!

Thank you all for the kind comments. Anyone up for hiking over the next two weekends? I'll go anywhere. :cool: :D :p ;) :rolleyes:

Wow, check out those lenticular clouds (the UFO ones)! Great lighting for that shot. Was it windy up there that afternoon?

Yes - the winds seemed to pick up right as I hit the Carter-Moriah trail, making the ledgy sections quite interesting. Nothing at all bad, though. I'd never seen lenticulars out in the open before, so it was most exciting to finally witness such wild clouds. The dark one in particular was quite the sight to behold. It definitely freaked me out a bit.

you sleep?

Poorly. Check out the circles under my eyes! :eek:

Yes - the winds seemed to pick up right as I hit the Carter-Moriah trail, making the ledgy sections quite interesting. Nothing at all bad, though. I'd never seen lenticulars out in the open before, so it was most exciting to finally witness such wild clouds. The dark one in particular was quite the sight to behold. It definitely freaked me out a bit.

Thats cool. Lenticular clouds usually result from strong winds higher up in the atmosphere. Mt Washington was gusting to 50 mph at the time, higher than earlier in the day, so that makes sense. Again, thanks for sharing that pic, and all the pics of course.

Condolences!

Sorry you killed another list!

Since you have two weeks of freedom I suggest you hike Chocorua, The Moats and The Baldies. That will fill up one of those "free" mornings for you. ;)

KDT

Yay!

Here's hoping you can use the time between now and the Summer Solstice to get out there and see some new places that aren't necessarily NH48 list requirements. I really enjoy visiting places that offer unique views of the bigger mountains.

Happy Trails,
Sabrina

Congratulations! Wildcats are my destination in a little over a week to finish my Spring 48, many years in completing though.

Congrats on your spring list, LRiz. Less than 6 months and at least 1/6 through the grid! Nice photos, especially the lenticulars, which we were watching mid-afternoon from the summit of Carrigain.