Summer Hiking Goals

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill and Sheep

Reaction score
Since I won't be able to get out this coming weekend, my Winter hiking season ended last weekend. This got me thinking about what I want to accomplish this summer. Without a peak list that I'm actively working on, my thoughts have been moving to redlining.

For a couple years now, I've been actively seeking out less obvious routes to the NH4k. I did a little thinking last night and decided to attempt to complete my redlining of the Franconia, Twin and Willey Ranges (as listed in the 28th WMG). After a bunch of calculation I came up with almost 150 miles of trails in that section and I've hiked almost 90 of them.

Sixty miles of trails doesn't seem like too much but it will take a good number of trips to cover all of them. After spending some time planning hikes, I'm really excited about the melting snow as I'll be tacking some of these adventures.

- At least two overnight hikes over the Bonds
- A circumnavigation of Owl's Head
- Some really silly backtracking on the Pemi East Side Trail to "get" the Pine Island Trail
- A few new routes over Flume and Lafayette
- Exploring the unknown areas between Galehead Hut ad 13 Falls
- A chance to explore non-4k areas like Frankenstein Cliffs and Arethusa Falls

I'm now over my melting snow sadness and ready for some warm weather adventures.

So, does anyone else have any interesting summer plans? Rainy days like today seem prefect for staring at our maps and dreaming of warmer, drier days on the trails.

Just finish the 48, and do three bushwhacks, Roosebrooks, Whitewall, and Adams Slide trail that's all for now.

Likewise, thinking of places I haven't been before. Also, possibly picking up a trail to officially maintain.

Thanks Mohammed! Those are some great options. The Northern Presidentials are still my most under-explored area- mainly due to the long drive from the Boston area. I do agree with you that the Star Lake Trail is a definite gem. I loved that last bit of scrambling when I had to give Sheep a good push to get him over the last ledge and on to the summit!

Another fascinating area to explore is the northern Presidentials. I have written many trip reports about the more interesting ones, here are four from 2006, when I was really exploring the area:

Just finish the 48, and do three bushwhacks, Roosebrooks, Whitewall, and Adams Slide trail that's all for now.

Do you mean the Rosebrook Range? Ha! Those last two are on my post-116 To-Do List, too.

Redshorts47, I'm pretty sure that you're missing 2 in Vermont.

'whacks

the Bakers, Lily Bay, Hitchcocks, Hutchinsons. Would also like to grab some of the windmill farm peaks in Maine and proposed windmill farm peaks before the summits are obliterated.
Bonus Round: more ADK summits on the way to the annual family gathering in Steuben NY.

Enjoy many days of trailwork regardless of weather, hit the trail with friends and family, be with my wife as she closes in on her 48, hopefully stay healthy, put all my winter swimming cardio to work, a bushwhack that me and Forester Jake aren't talking to anyone about just so it stays that way, encounter some fellow VFTT'ers while hiking, and prove that an almost 40 year old Coos County raised, devoted North Country son can still stomp, chop, blaze, brush, hoe, haul, trip and recover, with the best of 'em.

Happy trails everyone, let's have a great year!

Since it took me and Pat nearly 5 years ('82-'86) to finish the first round of the NH48, we're planning on revisiting them all during this year. Well, he doesn't know it yet;
Also, hiking some new beauties in the Presidentials: Castle, Six Husbands, Wamsutta, etc.

Oh, and for right now, getting a little kayak for my basement.

I am hoping to get out into the woods again. With a brand new knee and a repaired shoulder. Right now, I am happy to walk with crutches!!!

I was thinking of hitting all of the huts, shelters, and campsites listed in the WMG(quite a few done already), and exploring more the Wild River, Sandwich Dome area, and western NH near Hanover..also some more VT non 4kers and a few in Maine..Acadia also..and so forth and so on....!

I was thinking of hitting all of the huts, shelters, and campsites listed in the WMG(quite a few done already), and exploring more the Wild River, Sandwich Dome area, and western NH near Hanover..also some more VT non 4kers and a few in Maine..Acadia also..and so forth and so on....!

I highly recommend hiking in the Wild River area. I have done a couple of long loops over parts of the Carter Range the past few years. It's a wonderful place to hike and you'll almost certainly have the woods to yourself even on the most beautiful weekend day. I will definitely hit that area again this year.

Visit a few Trailwrights peaks with Alex, maybe bag a few more 4Ks with Sage. With both girls: do trailwork, camp out, sleep in shelters, do a few overnights at the huts. Maybe finally get the courage to do a solo night hike (if I get over my irrational fear of monsters).

Most of my plans for this summer involve multi-day trips.
  • Maine AT through the Rangeley-Stratton section to finish up those last ME 4Ks
  • Kilkenny Range
  • A 70-mile loop including parts of BSP and the IAT
  • AT through the Mahoosucs (never done it all in one trip before)

Littler projects include
  • Wapack Trail dayhike
  • Owls Head (so that I can finish my 67 on...)
  • Mt. Carrigain

-vegematic

The 5 Sawtooths in a day.
20 ADK slides. (why the heck not?)
5 more 46-B
2 week canoe trip in Temagami, Ontario
Bushwhack from Hurricane Mtn to Jay Mountain via Ausable 4 and Saddleback.
Party at Barnes Field with Giggy and Dr. Wu and then hike something sick.