Superfeet?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giggy

Reaction score
hi all - I very rarely have blistering issues. I am considering the green superfeet insert for more cushioning, and a small heel lift, etc.. I think its time I start using ex-factory insoles as after long days (15 miles+) my feet are sore - but not bistered:)...

heading out on a long hike this week and a bit nervous about changing something up - I am superstitious like that...:D

not sure i am going to do it yet - but anyone have any experience with superfeet?? - any huge change when using them the first time? my guess is no, but like I said - hestitant to change.

thanks!

I use the blue superfeet in some backpacking boots, I like them, they do reduce the rub a bit and they seem more cushioning than the basic insert that came with my boots. You trim them to size and they slide right in.. Works for me anyway..

You could bring them and use them but have the originals just in case, I doubt they weigh much or take up much space, and you can use it to scare off the tentmates after use. :)

Jay

I use green superfeet in my boots (and street shoes). They are a significant aid for both comfort and preventing injury for me. I have had shin splints (caused in part by my arch flattening under pressure) and the superfeet were part of the cure and prevention.

The insoles that come with boots are frequently not very good--the high-end replacement insoles (such as superfeet) are often much better.

Superfeet, in particular, give arch support (which reduces arch flattening and pronation) and a heel cup to spread the impact of heel strike. The green model gives more support and the blue models gives less support. They also have a mold-to-your-feet model which might help if the fixed shape ones don't do the job. Try a pair and see if they work for you.

Doug

Always, when I buy outdoor footwear, I buy a new pair of Superfeet (green) to go in them. They've made an amazing difference in comfort for me. I've tried other brands (not recently, though) and went back to the Superfeet.

I recently bought a pair of their winter Reds and have worn them but the temperatures haven't been cold since I put them in.

When I was fitted for orthotics (which I wear in one pair of dressy shoes) the doctor advised me to start wearing them for short periods, then longer periods. I don't think that is necessary for Superfeet, because you're not changing that much. The arch support and supportive heel cups are their big secret. They're not soft and cushy.

The green ones have more or less cured my plantar fascitis problems. Can't say about blisters because I rarely get them anyway.

My advice is to break them in first though. I was told when I bought them to not wear them for more than about 4 hours the first time, and like an idiot I wore them on a much longer hike and my feet hurt worse than ever. I almost threw them out, but the next time out my feet didn't hurt at all. They wear out in a little over a year, so before putting them in my hiking boots, I put them in my everyday shoes and wear them for a few days first. I haven't had any problems since doing that.

Giggy,

In my opinion, the most significant aspect of Superfeet is the hard plastic, molded arch. Cushioning and fit of the shoe are a distant second in my opinion. If you have never worn an insole with a rigid arch support, they can take some getting used to. In fact, they can be downright uncomfortable at first because your foot may not be used to the higher arch that the Superfeet will force it to "mold" to.

Please do not misconstrue this as a vote against Superfeet. In fact, they are quite beneficial for a lot (maybe even the majority) of folks. By supporting the arch, the foot won't flatten out as much. This should prevent some forefoot slip, as well. But hands down, their biggest asset is supporting the arch. This forces more of your body weight off of the heel and ball of the foot, where it is normally concentrated quite heavily. This is why a normal insole compacts so heavily in the heel and ball of the foot. The normal pressure points (heel and ball) won't be as noticeable with the Superfeet.

They may decrease your heel lift, but you won't know for sure until you try them. I would say it's a very likely possibility that they will feel noticeably different on your feet. In fact, that's one of the primary reasons Superfeet are sold with a 60 day money back guarantee. This is important because there's a chance that they will feel uncomfortable to you at first, but stick with them. I would recommend that you pack your old insoles with you on the hike, just on the off chance that you find them intolerable. Or, better yet start out with old insoles, and throw the Superfeet in for the last 1/3 of hike.

On another note, I find that the Superfeet offer the most relief when I am not in motion (i.e. standing still all day on a concrete floor). I give them a definite thumbs up to anyone who works on their feet all day and is mostly stationary. They do a great job for lower back pain, stiffness in legs, and pressure on heels and balls of feet.

John

PS They can also be a decent option for a low volume foot that seems to slip a bit in a boot because they do take up more volume than a normal insole.

Green Superfeet were a huge part of the cure for my patellar-femoral problems (knee pain). I re-iterate a lot of what Doug Paul says above.

THEY ROCK! I LOVE THEM!!

As a related side question, how often do folks replace them? They do certainly offer less arch support after a few months of pounding. Like Steve, I cycle new ones into my hiking boots and then down to street or cycle shoes.

BTW, they now have Orange Superfeet for the extreme athlete. Green are much better than Blue, for hiking anyway... Not sure if Orange are likewise better than Green.

Tim

Geri used the green Superfeet footbeds in all her hiking/trail running boots.

I use the SOLE Ed Viesturs heat modable fotbeds ones. I have custom orthodics for my street shoes for plantar fascitis issues.

Regardless of which ones you go with, be sure to follow the advice others have given when making the transition - break into them slowly! Also - when you buy your first pair, get measured for them. Since they can be cut to size you want to be sure the arch and heel pocket feet you well. You may wear a size 9 boot, but could take a size 10 foot bed.

I've also used the SOLE and prefer the Superfeet.

As to the question about when to replace them, I've heard that when the brand lettering fades away, it's time. I put my newest set in my most important footwear, the next to the newest in my next important pair, and so on. I've never thrown out a pair. (Does that mean I have too many shoes?) :rolleyes:

Foot issues SUCK!!!!! I've used superfeet and I liked them. Lately though I've just been plastering the duck tape to my feet to prevent the sore spots from becoming too much of an issue. My feet aren't blistering too bad but after a long day in the plastic boots to tootsies take a beating. This may sound gross but I've also greased up my feet with vasoline and that seems to keep the hot spots to a minimum too. I think over time the shape of our feet change from all the hiking....

I also had orthodics made for my feet and the doc said the same thing about the break in period.....if there was one I did not notice it. Can't hurt to give them a try. Just sayin'

-MEB

ok - thanks all - I think I am going to try them - but not on a baxter trip with a 16 mile approach. Hands down - sounds like they need a break in period.

thanks!!

Guy,
I have to be the first to vote against Superfeet Green, but the situation has to do with my weird feet. Like others have said, Superfeet do provide rigid arch support, which is good for people with arches in the first place. My feet are pretty flat and the raised arch threw my heel off balance, causing me to frequently turn my ankle. When I ditched the Superfeet, the problem went away.

My recommendation is for flat footed folks to avoid Superfeet.

Marty

A few additional comments:

As one can see from the range of comments, there are a wide range of foot problems and superfeet offer one set potential solutions. If they work for you and your feet--great! If not, try something else. And if your problems are sufficiently "interesting", you may need custom insoles.

I have had several sets of (rather expensive) custom insoles. (Even the pros don't always get them right--ultimately one has to try them to see if they work.) One thing I did get from the custom insoles (at least from the pair that worked... :) ) is a knowledge of what kind of support I needed. The custom insoles gave some support that the green superfeet didn't, but the superfeet are good enough to fix my problems (and a lot cheaper...).

And yes, superfeet flatten with time. But appropriate support is appropriate regardless of the age of the insole. If new ones work and continue to work as they age, fine. If not, then replace them as needed. (Of course, it is also possible that old ones will work better than new one...)

Ultimately, you just have to use trial and error to find the right ones.

One also needs to consider the shoes as well as the insoles. None of the insoles can support your feet on its own--they all pass the forces on to the sole of the shoe. The support from a shoe can break down before the shoe looks worn. (I understand that this commonly happens with running shoes and serious runners have to retire their shoes before they look worn. And, of course, many modern hiking boots are being built on running shoe technology.) So don't forget to consider the entire system--changing the boots might also help. (And if you buy new boots, fit the boots with your chosen insoles.)

BTW, the very soft insoles (often found in drug stores) are pretty useless, IMO. The softness may feel good in a finger test, but think of the underfoot pressures when you walk or hike--hundreds of lbs/sq in. This will crush soft sponge rubber into nothing. (And the constant pressure from the soft insoles can prevent blood circulation in the soles of your feet.) A firm insole will give a much more stable platform for your feet.

Good luck with it...

Doug

Last edited:
ok - thanks all - I think I am going to try them - but not on a baxter trip with a 16 mile approach. Hands down - sounds like they need a break in period.

thanks!!

first day is only 13 miles so you don't have to worry :0

I have an orange pair for my climbing and hiking boots and a red pair (winter ones with extra warmth) for several pairs of ski boots.

they make a big difference.

I dispense ALOT of super feet to recruits having hip//knee/ankle and foot pain. Most people tell me the next size feels better than the size that "box" would tell you They can take time to get used to so I would start to wear them 5-7 days before just going out and hiking in them. They are not that expensive to try. Keep your old insole. If the superfeet don't work, chuck them and put the old insole back in.

I use the green Superfeet in all my hiking boots. I also put duct tape on my heels when I wear my koflach degre and some moleskin on right foot that has been bothering me lately. I had no problem with foot pain on my recent Bond traverse.

Hint

Concerning break-in time, try wearing them in your footwear for short walks or for a trip to the gym treadmill so your feet will be used to them before a big hike.