2009 Year in Preview...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My goals for 2009 aren't as noble as Wu's! However, hoping to get in Bond & West Bond to finish the winter 48 and keep plugging away at the NEHH - those dastardly bushwacks left.
Now now, you must know -- that I will always save you a spot next to me in any pit toilet, Gillian. The views are spectacular!

-Dr. Wu

Hmmm...finish the 115. Begin working on the W48 list. Start to rock climb with the group this summer now that I'm not really in peakbagging mode. Learn to ice climb as well as other winter skills. Backcountry skiing...although I'm a little nervous about it - I'll get over it. Although not hiking it is outdoor related - learn to kiteboard.

I'm going to attempt a presi traverse...
Get lots of mileage on ice.
get better at rock climbing.
Hone BC ski skills,
Take a WFA course.
Try to hike as often as my schedule allows, with less emphasis on a list and more on just being outside.
I'm going to try hammock camping this summer.
Try to stay healthy and be happy.

Climb more ice, climb harder ice.
Ski tons, ski steeper, ski more powder.
Climb more rock, climb longer rock, climb harder rock.
Mtb more, go bigger somehow without breaking bones... prob not possible.
Kayak more, more kayak camping, longer tours, get more familiar with currents.
Quit job and pursue outdoor goals full-time. lol
Get into better shape like I had a few years ago before I started slacking.

And just get on some classic routes/places all around - kayak San Juans, Olympic peninsula, Whistler bike/ski, Liberty Ridge, Cosley/Houston on Colfax, more CA rockies ice, more Leavenworth rock, Vantage rock, N ridge Stuart, W ridge Forbidden, ski Baker, E Face Whitney, Mythrill dyhedral on Russell, more Index rock, Liberty Crack... to name a few on the ever-growing list.

I'm going to try hammock camping this summer.
Its money, I love it! So much more flexibility of setup.

Last edited:

Wants and wishes of 2009???

Hmmmm. Well, we did have to skip 233 miles of closed PCT due to lots of random and crazy wildfires. 3 seperate fires for us, and we were lucky.......we got through a few burning areas before the Forest Service closed them down to hikers completely. So, it is our plan/hope to get back out there and really finish the whole trail. It's not over until the last .01 has been walked/experienced!!!

The SRKG is almost done. We were on that Sunday and Monday this week, so that is well underway! Great "long distance" trail close by that you don't have to take 5 months off to hike!

More Cohos trail hiking, more overnighters with family and friends, more hiking of some trails I haven't been on before and more good times!!

Dr. Wu - great side by side privy at Piazza Rock lean-to in ME....I think you can play checkers or something while you "sit", in case you were looking for a double seater!!!

I am looking to finish the New England 100 Highest this summer. Have 5 peaks to go, which hopefully can be done in two long hikes.

My current plan is to finish with a couple of great friends, one or both who would complete the New England 67 on the same hike :cool:.

Anyone interested in hiking Whitecap and North Kennebago Divide this summer? If so, please PM me. :)

Marty

2009 is a little more up in the air for me at this point since my relatively stable employment world has imploded in the past 2 months.

I do have a minimum # of peaks to do in order to finish the 3K's on my desired schedule. I am already 8 weeks ahead of my 2008 pace on that.

I would like to do the Zealand-Bonds traverse at some point.

Another week in VT is mandatory but may have to settle for a couple of 4-5 day shots instead.

Looking forward as always
Jim

For some reason, Davis Path traverse is #1
Presi traverse
Presis via Great Gulf
Twins-Bonds traverse
Baldfaces and Mahoosucs
Bigelows
Sleep at Chimney Pond, get Hamlin Peak and maybe other NEHHs in Baxter
chip away at W48s (maybe get halfway?)
Canoe trip on the Allagash or Moosehead lake
One multi-pitch climb
toprope after work
3 sprint Tris for fun, at least two competitive(ish) Olympic distance relay swims
Save the world

I'll probably do half this list!!

Work on NEHH
rock climb harder & lead more
ice climb more
Ski more and learn BC skiing
Cycle more and longer
Hike/climb/bike/kayak/camp with lots of friends
Travel more
Climb Mont Blanc & The Matterhorn
Mahoosuc traverse without purging...:eek:
Pemi traverse
Start trail running again...
Take Grandson's hiking more & higher peaks:D

Enjoy the outdoors every chance I get!

Lots of definite's and even more wants for "09

Good health & Happiness is most important so I can keep going...and going!

Work on NEHH
rock climb harder & lead more
ice climb more
Ski more and learn BC skiing
Cycle more and longer
Hike/climb/bike/kayak/camp with lots of friends
Travel more
Climb Mont Blanc & The Matterhorn
Mahoosuc traverse without purging...:eek:
Pemi traverse
Start trail running again...
Take Grandson's hiking more & higher peaks:D

Enjoy the outdoors every chance I get!

Lots of definite's and even more wants for "09

Good health & Happiness is most important so I can keep going...and going!

Pemi traverse,
can i get in on that?

Hope VFTT folks get organized and commited in time to make gathering 10.0 successful.

Find someone who wants to go for a few NH100 highest bushwhacks, mostly up in the northcountry. Hard to find willing bushwhackers for viewless peak with fir blowdowns.:D

1. Avoid injury.
2. Finish school in late July. What will I do with a weekend not filled with homework?
3. Avoid injury. (You can get lots of homework done while you're laid up.)
4. Finish that Labrador camping trip with my family that we started last year and had to turn back from early. (Ouch)
5. Avoid injury. (You don't want to know.)
6. Take my younger son on an overnight backpacking trip or two or three.
7. Avoid injury. (Am I getting repetitive?)
8. Hike those parts of the Whites that I've neglected for the past 27 years while pursuing and completing the NH48. (Yes, it took me 27 years of dedicated effort to get them all.)
9. Avoid injury. (Multiple unrelated injuries over the past several years that have kept me sidelined from my hiking passion.)
10. Climb more of the winter NH48. I'm at 6/48.
11. Hike the Davis Path. Explore the Mahoosuc range. Maybe check out the Monadnock-Sunapee area.

I can relate with the members who put down staying healthy as one of their goals. Here's to the human body, it's incredibly resilient, yet soberingly fragile at the same time. :) :eek:

OK all you Davis Path wanna-bes, grab your tools!

Did Ron Rivard give up his section on the Davis Path? I noticed in the last issue of Outdoors that Isolation to the Davis Spur was once again open. I originally did that section and then switched with Ron to get the Webster Cliff section.

Yes, Ron and his wife retired from that section last year, so it's available. Isolation to Davis... interested?

Yes, Ron and his wife retired from that section last year, so it's available. Isolation to Davis... interested?

Nope! I did five work trips and that was more than enough. Susan's knees couldn't take the long walk in coupled with the cleaning of waterbars, so we are more than happy on Webster Cliff. However, if you do need people for a work party I am willing to help out.