Best post-hike restaurants, bars, pizzerias, ice cream, etc.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jason Berard said:
There's a GREAT ice cream place in Littleton headed towards Bethlehem, it begins with a B...... Bishop's....just looked it up. They have the best ice cream EVER!!!!!

The last couple of summers Bishops ice cream was available at the Willey House near Crawford Notch. Haven't been by yet this year. Also available in Franconia Notch on the bike path just south of the Tram area.

Rosa Flamingo's on 302 in Bethlehem has great pizza and a good selection of beer which is always ice cold.

Bob said:
I've gotta disagree on this one. Been there many , many times. Overpriced beers, lousy overpriced food and the servers always have a bad attitude.
I'll never go back there, Truant's Tavern is much better.

Sorry but I have to disagree about Truant's. I've been there a few times and have always been "greeted" by a server with an attitude and the food is only so-so. The last time I went there I ate at the bar and I had to listen to the bartender (who pretty much ignored me) go on and on with the regulars about how she hates "tourists", BTW her definition of a tourist seemed to be anybody who didn't live in the immediate area. I wouldn't say an attitude like that is good for a business located in an area that draws hikers from all around New England. On top of that the meal I had was fair at best.

Anyway, another place I like in the Lincoln area is Freselone's on Route 3. Good pizza (love their sauce) and excellent Italian grinders.

Last edited:
Blue said:
I don't go to the Common Man because I feel under-dressed after hikes!

That doesn't bother me in the slightest - park me in front of a cold beer and a good meal and I hardly notices the shaking heads and clucking noises ;)

The voice loop in the bathrooms drive me batty, though.

(Hi Blue - we miss you! Beth)

MichaelJ said:
Don't go to the restaurant, go to the bar upstairs, at least in Ashland. It's always full of dirty, sweaty, smelly hikers/skiers/climbers...
I'd say the same thing about Woodstock Station--hit the bar downstairs. I've also had a different experience from Bob's--no nastiness from the wait staff (but I have to admit some of them aren't the most attentive). You don't have that problem in the bar.

I'll second the vote for the Tilt'n Diner. Great comfort food in a relaxed atmosphere - and they play great oldies. Plus their breakfast buffet on weekends will get you fortified pre-hike.

I can't remember the name, but I've twice stopped at the Mexican place in Lincoln on the north side of the Kanc. Very yummy!

Mad Townie said:
I'd say the same thing about Woodstock Station--hit the bar downstairs.

Which leads to the "which bar" question, which has screwed me up on more than one occasion trying to meet up with people. If you're not familiar with the Woodstock Inn/Station/Brew Pub, there's:
* The Station restaurant in the way back
* The Station bar, next to the restaurant seating and the host's counter (with the all-important growler sales)
* The extra room down the steps, more seating for the Station
* The "brew pub" which is the other bar down the ramp past the rest rooms
* The outdoor seating, for which you walk through the "brew pub"
* The fancy restaurant in the front

WhiteMTHike said:
Sorry but I have to disagree about Truant's. I've been there a few times and have always been "greeted" by a server with an attitude and the food is only so-so. The last time I went there I ate at the bar and I had to listen to the bartender (who pretty much ignored me) go on and on with the regulars about how she hates "tourists", BTW her definition of a tourist seemed to be anybody who didn't live in the immediate area. I wouldn't say an attitude like that is good for a business located in an area that draws hikers from all around New England. On top of that the meal I had was fair at best.

Anyway, another place I like in the Lincoln area is Freselone's on Route 3. Good pizza (love their sauce) and excellent Italian grinders.

A ditto to this!! I've had virtually the exact same experience @ Truants.. it was also almost 'deliberately smoky'.

The Woodstock Station isn't any pricier than anything else, and they have a bar special every night for something like 5.49.

Now, here's where I can show some White Mountain expertise: I love Moat Mountain Smokehouse when on the 'east side' of the NH hills... but their Growlers are $15, versus the Station's $7.50. It's not just about the post-hike beer, but the beer you mule home as well.

Another vote for Freselone's... I lived in NYC for a while, and one of the most difficult things all over Northern New England is getting solid Italian style pizza and calzones... GH Pizza makes great sandwiches, but greek pizza versus italian? There's just no comparison!

And last... Once again, the Sunny Day Diner!! If you get down early enough, the banana bread french toast makes for a GREAT post-hike nap-inducer! ;)

MichaelJ said:
Which leads to the "which bar" question, which has screwed me up on more than one occasion trying to meet up with people. If you're not familiar with the Woodstock Inn/Station/Brew Pub, there's:
* The Station restaurant in the way back
* The Station bar, next to the restaurant seating and the host's counter (with the all-important growler sales)
* The extra room down the steps, more seating for the Station
* The "brew pub" which is the other bar down the ramp past the rest rooms
* The outdoor seating, for which you walk through the "brew pub"
* The fancy restaurant in the front

In my experience 'The Bar' means downstairs, the brewpub... the bar w/ the peanuts. 'The upstairs bar' means the restaurant, with the huge TV and the popcorn...

Up north along rte 2 I second Mr. Pizza in Gorham. Much more than pizza and they have never disappointed me.

Worth the drive over to Bethel/ Newry and not a bad drive if you are camped near Evans Notch, Sunday River Brewery is open 7 days year-round.

For breakfast try Crossroads Diner ("world headquarters"- menu says), Rte 2 in Bethel. Just a basic no frills old style diner where the waitress calls you "Dear" or "Honey".

Nostalgia for the CP

onrhodes said:
I also want to add from my original post.....

Biedermans in Plymouth. Perhaps it is just my nostalgia for my college days, but I have always liked that place.

Sigh... The Cellar Pub, and all it meant to me. I have to admit I haven't been in Biederman's since I moved back to the area full-time, in part because I'm afraid I won't make escape velocity again.

I wonder how many VFTTers were once denizens of the CP?

Andrew said:
Up north along rte 2 I second Mr. Pizza in Gorham. Much more than pizza and they have never disappointed me.

Worth the drive over to Bethel/ Newry and not a bad drive if you are camped near Evans Notch, Sunday River Brewery is open 7 days year-round.

For breakfast try Crossroads Diner ("world headquarters"- menu says), Rte 2 in Bethel. Just a basic no frills old style diner where the waitress calls you "Dear" or "Honey".

And when you're in Andrews' neighborhood(Monadnock) upstairs at O'brien's is always good!

Andrew said:

Now you're talking! It's especially great after an invigorating hike up to Goose Eye Mountain via the Wright Trail.

Marty

Blue said:
I don't go to the Common Man because I feel under-dressed after hikes!

A group of us walked into the CM in Lincoln,straight off Hancocks in December,Koflachs,wind pants,gaiters and all,and plunked down on the sofa in front of the fire,exhausted after an overnite trip from hell.(30+inches snow,8o,40-50mph wind). We were way too tired to care what we looked like!
A cozy couple ,sitting there,asked if we had been skiing. "No,we've been on Hancock since yesterday".
The look was priceless! :D

TroutBumNH said:
In my experience 'The Bar' means downstairs, the brewpub... the bar w/ the peanuts. 'The upstairs bar' means the restaurant, with the huge TV and the popcorn...
Yup, that's what it means to me, too.

Oh, and TroutbumNH, you did a really nice job photoshopping different clothes onto my photo! :D Same pose. And here I was thinking it was unique!!! :cool:

una_dogger said:
I'll add some places outside of the Whites, both pre and post hike favorites:

Una_dogger...what is the name of the place that you mentioned on one of your posts recently that has the very best grinders/subs. I think it might be in Gorham but I did a search and can't find it.

Maddy said:
una_dogger said:
I'll add some places outside of the Whites, both pre and post hike favorites:

Una_dogger...what is the name of the place that you mentioned on one of your posts recently that has the very best grinders/subs. I think it might be in Gorham but I did a search and can't find it.

For subs I like Zoey's in Manchester VT but also Gill's in Rutland is a big favorite around here!

I'm very surprised to see that noone has mentioned May Kelly's in North Conway. It's right next to Delaney's. The owners are from Ireland and they have great , authentic Irish food. I recommend the cornbeef and cabbage, and the irish stew which is a meal. The portions are huge and the atmosphere is wonderful. Sit in the tavern on a Sunday afternoon and listen to locals play irish folk music, open mic style.

As far as the "I hate tourists" attitude, you'll find that almost everywhere. Tell the manager, don't pay your tab, and vow to never return. The bartender at Truant's was most likely a recent transplant anyway. It's her way of saying "I'm cool, I'm a local". Everyone is a tourist sometime, or are we all to never leave our hometown? If she had specified the ignorant tourists, I would definately sympathize, but she was still out of line with that comment in that situation.

Try May Kelly's, where Mary and Pat run a tight ship. You'll certainly be treated kindly.

Happy Trails :)

I usually go with either the Woodstock Inn or the MM brewery depending on where I am, but this past winter I missed the exit for Woodstock and kept going to exit 28 and tried out the Mad River Tavern which was a pretty decent alternatve.