donna does Coe

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donna

Reaction score
Saturday, February 13th, 7 friends start their day at the AT Café for breakfast, Frodo, arm, Christine, Sean, Mike, Liza and donna. We have an easy 6 mile ski into Nesowadnehunk Bunkhouse. Frodo leads the route finding as we break trail all the way. The day is beautiful, sunny and everyone is feeling good. We set up camp and enjoy an amazing amount of delicious homemade food.

On Sunday, Valentine’s Day, we’re up early and heading to the Marston trail for our “easy” summit to Coe. We break trail all the way to the Coe Slide junction. Frodo, Liza, Mike and donna continue for the Peak. We are the first this winter to head to the summit of Coe. The trail was very difficult to follow, very deep snow, dangerous water crossings and Frodo fell into the deepest spruce trap I’ve ever seen. I wish I could have snapped a photo while he was still in the trap, but thought his life was more important – so I only got a few shots after the fact.

The hike up was exhausting. We were all very excited to be at the slide. We thought, “no more deep snow plowing”…wrong, as we continued up the slide we ran into one step forward and 5 slides backwards. There was nothing to hold on to and sometimes we had to crawl. I was ready to head back even though we were about 200 feet from the summit. It took 11 hours round trip. We went up and out using the same trail.

I’ve attempted Coe 3 other times in winter…there was always some reason why I couldn’t get that peak. I finally got it, but it was the hardest hike I’ve ever done. I’ll never forget this hike and I’m really happy I got it. People talk about this Spirit that owns Coe. If anyone knows about him, let me know what the story is. This Spirit wanted to give me some sort of message and I’m not sure what that message is. So, anyone who knows about him, please share the info.

This trip was “the best time in my whole life”. Thanks to arm for organizing everything and Frodo for getting me to Coe and Mike, Liza, Christine and Sean for the wonderful food, drinks, laughs and company. You guys are the best ever!:)

Here’s a few photos:

http://community.webshots.com/user/donnahiking

I hope others from this trip add to my TR.

Yipee!!!

Congrats Donna!!!! :D:D:D

Wish I could of made the trip but wasn't able to....:(

Do we still need to hike Scar???:confused:

Congratulations to all on what sounds like one heck of a hike. You guys are tough. Way to go. :)

Congratulations Donna (and thank you thank you thank you to those who helped her bag the elusive Coe)! I wasn't sure what was going to happen if you were denied again! Sorry I wasn't there to join the fun...sounds like it was quite the adventure.

Now you can really focus all of your energy on Scar Ridge :p

Reactions: arm
Woo Woo! Sounds like a lot more snow this time around, at least on the slide itself, but finally, the skies cleared and the Gods listened and Donna gets Coe...

All is well in the world again. Nice pictures... the bunkhouse looks the same.. Did anybody go for a swim?

:)
Jay

Okay, Coe was my 97th NEHH. I still need Scar Ridge, SnowCup and Camel's Hump to finish. I'll need an additional 5 others to finish my winter NEHH. Then again, I only have 22 of the 46 ADK peaks. So much to hike, so little time, Oh, that's right...I have the rest of my life to hike.:D

What a disappointingly misleading title.

Oh well, seems like you guys had a great trip anyway.

...People talk about this Spirit that owns Coe. If anyone knows about him, let me know what the story is. This Spirit wanted to give me some sort of message and I’m not sure what that message is. So, anyone who knows about him, please share the info...

Don't know the Spirit personally, but it was definitely messing with you.
There were times while working through the drainage that I thought we may need to turn back. I looked into the spruce trap after Frodo extracted himself. The hole beneath his bottom footprint went down another four feet. Then there was the hungry stream crossing that tried to gobble up Liza. The Spirit followed us every step of the way. Once we got to the slide you were not going to be denied. The slide was the easiest part of the whole trip. Until the last fifty yards. Thats where the Spirit piled a bunch of snow just before we got there. It was a last desperate attempt to thwart all our efforts.
In honor of donna's triumphant descent the slide will be renamed "Coe Butt Slide.

:cool: Congratulations :cool:

Congrats, Donna! Sounds like a sweet trip, no matter the pains on the trails. :)

Phew!!! Congratulations, Donna! I had left you a good luck note at the Baxter boundary, forgetting that you wouldn't be entering that way! So glad you made it- it's amazing how much sweeter the peaks are that we have to fight so hard for. Way to go and nice trip report "bait" on the title!

well done grasshoppa'.

:)

p.s. i didn't see any pix of the summit (unless i missed it). sooo...did you really do coe? :)

Summit sign was buried under snow.
VFTT's resembled the inside of a ping pong ball.
Even the Spirit counts this :D