Favorite Mountain Photo Opportunities in New England

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadtripper

Reaction score
Lots of us seem to enjoy taking fun/scary/silly/offbeat pictures as we hike around these great mountains. Some of these mountains offer phenominal opportunities for such pictures.

Some of my favorites:
- climbing Pamola's Finger on Pamola Mountain, Baxter SP
- pretending to push over Glen Boulder in the Whites (or that boulder near Jordan Pond in Acadia)
- standing on top of Lakes of the Clouds Hut when there is enough snow up there
- sitting on the ledge of Bondcliff
- feeding a Gray Jay on the summit of Tom, Field, Willey, Jackson or Pierce (among others)
- costumes on the top of any summit

Anybody else have any favorites?

Last edited:
Well, one thing we have a lot of here in New England is moose. A couple of winter's ago on a short hike up to Mt. Crag (near Shelburne, NH), it was comical to see right there on the summit, the word "HELLO" spelled out with moose droppings! It gave a whole new meaning to the term "moose sign"! We jokingly speculated as to whether this had been done by a hiker, or by a prankster moose!

MooseSign.jpg
100_1247.JPG

I hate it when this happens

Mount Colden, Adirondacks.

Some hikers are graceful... I'm not one of them. ANYTHING can happen.

p237494208-3.jpg

Fortunately, a friend was able to assist.

p126309853-3.jpg

Last edited:
Standing in front of the falls on Falling Waters.

Doing the same pose on every summit, be it handstands, thumbs-up, or the crouch of the wild puma.

Appearing to add or remove signs or cairns at controversial locations.

Outhouses everywhere!

Standing on top of the Zealand sign in winter.

The NH/ME border sign on the AT.

The end of the AT sign on Baxter.

From the summit of Guyot, it's fairly easy to pose "holding" Washington in your hand.

I'm glad someone already posted Falling Waters Trail because that's right up there in my book. Would also like to add standing on that boulder that juts out into the Great Gulf from off the Gulfside Trail, and for that matter, any of the outlooks that peer down into the Great Gulf.

Knight's Castle
the Gargoyle
the Subway
the final ridge just south of Flume's summit
south summit of Moosilauke, looking north
Cliff Trail sign on Mansfield
Six Husbands' ladders
Spaulding Lake
along the Holt Trail
various firetowers
plaques/memorials
certain trail signs that have a story/memory behind them

How many folks have a shot of them (or a friend) on Butt Spur spliting apart a boulder?

For me it is not which mountain but who I hike with. When hiking alone I seldom take pictures but when I am with someone else........