Good luck charms

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodstrider

Reaction score
What is the most interesting thing that you have carried in your pack as a good luck charm.

Personally I don't seem to have anything in my bag that is really a good luck charm, as everything is really of importance.

luck??....Luck is an illusion for those who don't have it.

I'm making a walking stick with a stick from a beaver dam, featuring a bear fang, a moose tooth, a tine from a moose antler, and a shaft of smokey berrel quartz ( root beer quartz), and a raven feather, all of which I have found in the WMNF.

Happy Trails :)

A recommended component of a pack survival kit is a small photo of family/loved ones to keep you "focused".
I've had a cute one of my 2 boys at 1 & 2 1/2 years old in my kit for years.
I've also carried a pair of tiny, baby Keds that they both wore as infants.

I think the staff with found items is cool, and with the right combination of ingredients you may be able to part clouds or conjur warmth ! :)

One of my deceased dog's booties. It hangs off every pack I use. It's trail worn a bit, and has maybe 20 peaks under it. I'll carry that forever. She spent nine years protecting us, and I am quite sure as long as I have it, she'll always be looking over me and I'll always be safe. :)

I have a small "Jerry Bear" (as in Jerry Garcia) that hangs off whatever pack I'm using at the time. He was a gift from JayH when my previous Jerry Bear decided to go hiking off on his own!:D Always gives me good vibes...

JohnL said:
Very cool John. Gotta love da bears and other stuffed creatures. I just finished reading
a book (a fantastic book about the five women who climbed K2) and it tells a story about a woman climber (Chantal Manduit) who had the reputation of carrying virtually no gear with her on big mountains. In fact, people regularly commented on the "ridiculously small" pack she carried! Anyway, she carried no gear, but always had a stuffed animal hanging from it.:D Not exactly what I'd figure was the most important in climbing K2!~ By the way, she climbed 6 of the 8000 meter peaks but died in her tent which was partially buried with snow, on Dhaulagiri. So much for lucky charms...

I carry a small bible in my pack.... At least that's what I think it is. It was given to me by an extremely nice person who told me to take it with me while I hike/backpack...... AND.....since I frequently hike alone, it may be useful in the event of a serious accident.

T-Max,
Coincidently, I just finished that book about a month ago. I saw the book on a bargain rack and since I had been to K2 base camp, I'm a sucker for any book with K2 in the title. I found it interesting to read about the women's relationships with the men in their lives and how they used those relationships to fuel their climbing drives. I'm not sure if you would have gotten that perspective if a man had written the book.
JohnL

Pete_Hickey said:
I carry a small bible in my pack.
I did hear a story of a solider that said a pocket sized bible stopped a bullet during WWII, so you never know!

And as far as 'summer' goes, I totally agree! LOL! The Winter choice was a good one though! :D

If I ever needed a bible, I'd just stop by a leanto. Many leantos in the catskills seem to have bibles in them!

Jay

"If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all "
-Albert King

I carry a lucky penny in my shoe, though I must say I can't quite remember when or exactly why I started doing this. I don't do it when I hike, for probably obvious reasons, but I have a lucky hiking rock that comes with me in the case I carry my cell phone in. Okay, so I'm a bit superstitious :eek:. I can't help myself .... apparently I've been a Red Sox fan for too long! :D

the shell I'm wearing in my avatar belonged to a hunting buddy of mine who died 5 years ago at the age of 82. His wife gave it to me to remember him by, and I've worn it on all my winter hikes ever since, even though its two sizes too big! I'm not sure if its a good luck charm, but its nice to have it on in the winter, even if I don't hunt that much any more. I'll have to figure what to make it into so I can keep bringing it, once its no longer useful as a shell.