Have you ever been attacked?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Have you ever been attacked by...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
funkyfreddy said:
I voted that I had been attacked by criminals and should clarify. My incidents occured in the wilds of NYC, not on a hiking trail or in the woods, which are much safer IMHO. :D

I'm with FF on this one: I feel much safer in the woods of the NE than on the streets of NYC. I've been attacked in NYC, but never even felt threatened on the trail. I've seen a whole mountain more of weirdness in one subway ride than I've seen in all my hiking. So I feel pretty peaceful and relaxed when I hit the woods. Now, if I were in mountain lion or grizzly areas, I'd have a much higher level of alertness and concern.

For those of you who kayak, here's one good reason to check your six from time to time:

http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/sharkkayak.asp :eek:

Last edited:
I can't say that I've been attacked by anything (other than mosquitos, black flies, etc.), but I have had encounters with bears (and cubs!), porcupines, rattlesnakes, a skunk, and once some companions hiking 20 yards behind me got swarmed by wasps/bees/hornets and had a couple dozen stings each.

And I did once have a mighty duel with a mouse at night over the contents of my gorp. He danced on my face while I slept; I smacked him with a hiking boot. I think we have a mutual respect now.

I voted none. I have never been attacked by anything or anybody in the backcountry. I've had interesting and threatening encounters, but not attacks.

I have been attacked in non-backcountry places, but that's off-topic.

Uggh, sadly I am the victum of serious attacks almost every time out in the woods from late May to mid-summer. If it is not Mosquitos, then its the black flies. I think by the end of the summer Im usually down about a pint of blood. Everyone loves hiking with me cuz the mosquitos flock to me and leave everyone else alone :eek: .

Brian

yes

I was attacked by the rare mt. beaver but lived by playing dead..

One year I was attacked 3 different times by nasty little black bees that live in the ground. On Mt. Snow in Vermont - 7 stings on my back. On Mt. Dartmouth - 6 stings. The pain and then itching lasted for months.

Pat and I weren't actually attacked by a stampeding moose, but we were ushered down a logging road near Wheeler Peak in Maine by a young bull who strutted slowly after us for about 100 yards, swinging his rack - must have been hormones. In midflight, Pat said to me, "Get a picture." Hah!

yet another grouse attack, bunnel notch trail summer 2003, many chicks present. pretty scary really till we figured out what it was.

caught my friend chasing after what we believe was a badger(a very mellow non responsive badger) on the devils path, newbies always keep it interesting.

great thread!

Been harassed by red squirrels more than once....

Three years ago, hunting in the ADK's, while on watch for deer, it appears that a bear decided that my efforts in using a doe in heat call (which sounds like fawn bleat) might end up in a quick lunch for himself....I looked to my left and twenty yards away, from behind this 300lb plus boar is traveling into the wind, then decided to turn right and RAN straight towards my rock that I was standing on. This was not a false charge, I've been involved in those more than once....and I didn't want to take a bear that day....but...at 20 feet away I had a decision to make.. :eek:

He now is part of our camp.... :D

BTW..this was NOT a campground bear.....don't want to make the impression that it was a lean-to straffing, tent dragging, where's the cannister hanging type!!

I still get heat from the gang for ruining a whole day of deer hunting :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I was "attacked" by Arctic terns near a small lake in Alaska. I saw these interesting birds and decided I'd walk a little closer for a better view. Most birds, I thought, would fly away if a person got too close. Not these birds! They repeatedly flew right at my eyes. I crouched lower and they kept diving at me. Finally I was able to crawl away to a safe distance.

I had a lovely summer at that lake, working at a children's camp. But, from that time on, we all kept away from the birds' nesting area.

Pat T

Pat T said:
I was "attacked" by Arctic terns near a small lake in Alaska. I saw these interesting birds and decided I'd walk a little closer for a better view. Most birds, I thought, would fly away if a person got too close. Not these birds! They repeatedly flew right at my eyes. I crouched lower and they kept diving at me. Finally I was able to crawl away to a safe distance.

I had a lovely summer at that lake, working at a children's camp. But, from that time on, we all kept away from the birds' nesting area.

Pat T

Bird ID tip...a nesting common tern will dive at your head to scare you away. an Artic tern will dive at you head and draw blood. if you ever go there again just bring a stick and hold it over your head...they will dive bomb, kamakasi style, the high point.

Grouse for me too, several times in the Pemi. Once a hiker in front of us coming from the opposite direction, kicked one when it pecked at his leg. Poor bird didn't have a chance.
sprucegrouse.jpg

Arctic terns

Hi, Puck

Thanks for the tip. I wish I could to Alaska this summer, to see the Terns and lots of other things, but it's not in the cards. I think, at the time, I had the sense that the tern was going for blood. I started wearing a felt hat and kept it high on my head. I'm pretty sure the birds did touch the hat at times. There were also Bonaparte's gulls at this lake and they would dive bomb us, too.

For black fly relief, we always hold a hand up high and the black flies go to that, too.

Pat T

Jim did he kill the spruce grouse! Its our fault for invading their territory.. I cant believe he kicked it...-Mattl

Mattl said:
Jim did he kill the spruce grouse! Its our fault for invading their territory.. I cant believe he kicked it...-Mattl

Poor grouse:eek: :( what was that hiker thinking?

My son was attacked by a grouse coming down the Weeks. It was funny to watch but he was not amused in the least! Wish I had a video of it. He told me that the bird had the same look in her eyes as my daughter's cat when she cases him around the house.

Mattl said:

The Grouse was alive when we left it. My wife (then girlfriend) wanted me to pick it up and carry it with us to the hut...of course like any boyfriend I tried to and put it in my sweatshirt but it wouldn't stay in so we left it there in a patch of moss. I imagine a coyote or fox had an easy meal, it was bleeding pretty bad.

It was too bad, most of the time they only make a bluff charge, I've had one grab my pants leg but they don't hurt. The kid that kicked it thought he was being attacked by a hawk...

P.s. just read your experience re the grouse...just wanted to make sure when people are reading....we didn't kick the bird...just ran down the trail laughing as my son was yelling.