Mt Madison & Madison Gulf Trail 1/10/09

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darl58

Reaction score
A group of us met at Pinkham Sat morning to decide on which hike sounded good. Frodo, Suebiscuit, Leaf, Nif & Darl58. It was cold but clear blue skies with not much wind. Frodo suggested Madison via Great Gulf and Osgood Trail. It sounded good to all of us so off we went.

The great Gulf trail was firm, snowshoes were plenty to cruise all the way to Osgood trail where the work began.
We took turns breaking trail with very little problems...I did manage to drop into a slush hole and had a little problem getting my leg lifted with a few extra pounds of ice...Sue thanks for helping me clear the shoe off..felt like herman monster for a while!

The snow was deep in sections but lots of fun to be plowing through after all the ice we've had! Blue clear skies didn't hurt the day. Amazing day to be out in the Presi's!

Once above treeline it became ice/rock mix and snowshoes came off as we scampered over the rocks and hit our first winds. The winds were fairly mild but the air was raw and layers were added for the ridge traverse.

Once on top of Madison we had views in all directions that couldn't be beat! Let my pics show you...

Then down we went to the hut for water/snacks. Crampons were put on for our descent down the Madison Gulf trail.

As we got to the trail, the ice was looking like a waterfall and a drop off to neverland...we opted to hug the shrubs and rocks to start the steep pitch down. It didn't take minutes til we were all in deep snow over our knees..a little spreading out a couple times to keep on track and down we went into the powder! It was a blast slipping , sliding down in such deep powder. A few times the ice appeared and we got to actually down climb using the crampons that we still had on.

Once down onto a less steep grade we switched to our snowshoes and had a fun hike out in the fresh snow..

Sue tried the snowshoe under the tree move (didn't work) and Jen tried the snowbridge that failed move and the rest of us managed to fall on ice/rocks/snowsnakes. Our ski skills on snowshoes weren't always pretty:eek: but we had fun.

A really fun group and a sweet hike with two new trails for me! Thanks Bob for the suggestions!! :D

Pics:http://picasaweb.google.com/hikerdd13/MtMadison11009?feat=directlink

Wicked awesome! Pictures are amazing. I think I would have poodied my pants going down the Madison Gulf Trail though...

-Dr. Wu

Great pictures! Saturday was a beautiful day to be above treeline. That ice looks scary!!!!!

Truly an impressive hike. Definitely not recomended for beginners, but boy it looked fun!

Funny how you mention skiing, because Nif and I were talking about that as we were breaking trail down thru all of that powder. She is 10x the skier that I will ever be, and she thought it would be pretty tough. If I tried to ski the Madison Gulf, I would likely end up like Sonny Bono :eek:

Anyway, awesome trip report and pictures Darl! Besides the summit shot, I didn't even see you with a camera (I need to be more observant):)

Fun day!

All that snow and no one on skis. *sigh*

:)

Snow was perfect, but the turns would have been a tad tight for my taste in most places....Now with your tele prowess you may have just ripped it ;)

Nice pix and looked like a great time:D -

wish I could have been there:(:(

Would have been great to have you there. Next time. :p

Good day, good people, excellent weather, what more can a girl ask for? :cool:

That ice is totally insane! What an awesome hike... I can't wait to get out to the Presis now.

Besides the summit shot, I didn't even see you with a camera (I need to be more observant):)

Fun day!

Those were the times when I all of a sudden fell back...I was stopping to enjoy the views and dig the camera out...as it was so cold I had to keep it in a pocket on the inside layer...which I found annoying but it kept it working!

The views were too sweet not to stop and enjoy!!:D

What a day! You all on Madison, Steve and Tim doing the Prezzie traverse, the other 2 crews on Franconia Ridge . . . and me at sea level.:( Well, at least it was sunny here, too.

Those pictures really tell the story, Darl. I love it up there when the snow looks like it was sprayed onto the rocks. Just like the fake stuff on Christmas trees . . . almost.:D

Last edited:
Yikes! Those pix are just awesome!

What an amazing day you all had to be out there. ;)

I wasn't at sea level Townie, but I was stuck at work all day... :(