Non-hiking deathmarches

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Metsky

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
What other deathmarches are there out there? We all know the Presie Traverse and the Pemi Loop, but how about other sports (skiing, biking, kayaking)?

Some friends just did a circumnavigation of Mt Washington that is an epic: http://www.timefortuckerman.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11482 . They skied runs down Great Gulf, Huntington, Tuckerman, Gulf of Slides, Oakes Gulf, and Monroe Brook.

A biking classic is the 3 Notches and a Pass (Franconia, Crawford, Bear Notches and Kancamaugus Pass).

What else you got?

Hiking and climbing are my hobbies. For a death day how about leaving the house at 4 am in central Massachusetts, driving 3+ hours to Pinkham Notch, hiking into Huntington Ravine, climbing a gully, hiking across the alpine garden and down Lion Head trail and then driving home again.

My wife wonders why I would rather sleep in the back of the truck!

Biking the entirety of VT route 100 (Canada to Massachusetts, or vice versa, about 200 miles) in a day is a classic around here.

The Cape In a Day bicycle ride - park at/near/on State Street in Boston, preferably on Sunday in Sept. Leave by bicycle at first light and ride to P-Town. Hop on the ferry and enjoy the ride back. 132 miles +/- and you have to be there in time to catch the ferry.

I love the 3 notches and a pass ride too.

There is a two-loops-around-the-Quabbin ride (or has been in past years)

I did a solo ride once from my apt. in Nashua to my parent's house in Brewster (Cape Cod) - 146 miles in 7:45.

We used to redline Waterville Valley on skate skis, or at least ski the perimeter, back in the bike racing days.

Tim

I haven't tried it but a friend rides NE corner of CT to Portland, ME the first day of summer.

Update: 201 miles and 11:22 of pedal time the last time he did it.

Last edited:
Driving from western Nebraska to Vermont "nonstop" in a little over 30 hours. Now that was epic... :D

(Doesn't the word "march" imply walking?)

Done this once

About fifteen years ago: Parked at Hancock Notch Lot. Hiked up over the height of land to the East Side trail on the Kanc via Cedar Brook Tr. Continued up Wilderness Trail to Carrigain Notch. Down to Sawyer River Rd. Up Sawyer River Rd through Hancock Notch and back down to the car. Did not take the Carrigain cut-off to the SR Road because I didn't know about that little short cut. Got out after dark. Took my two yellow Labs with me. We were all tired by the end. I had to drive home, they slept:D

Oh, "Non-Hiking" oh well

I know some of the really good climbers do all the Huntington gullies in a day.

I also heard of a guy climbing up Damnation gully, dropping down into the Great gulf, climbing a WI 3/4 gully in there (name escapes me), climbing back up and then down huntington again - and i don't recall all the details, but he had to be back in Concord by 6pm or something. This was on NEICE or something a few years ago and I was like - wow!

I think somebody should try to kayak the entire Allagash waterway in a day, unless this has already been done? It's probably not even allowed now that I think about it.

It's not at all local, but a one-day mountain bike of the White Rim road in Canyonlands National Park (100 miles) is considered one heck of a classic challenge.

Another idea I had was to try to rollerblade, in a day, the entire length of one of the country's longest paved rail trails (some in the midwest are 100-150 miles long).

Last edited:
Well, the trail runners equivalent of a Devil's Path Traverse. Apparently, its a trail race. For comparison, when we did the one day traverse last spring, it took us about 11.5 hours on average. I understand those who run it complete it in about 8. Tough course to run!

It seems that mt biking racing is slowly going to 6, 12 and 24 hr endurance races. I'll be doing a 100km mt bike race in a few weeks.

Well, there's always Renata Chlumska's circumcountry trip on kayak and bike. Although I guess that's not really a classic until a few people start doing it. :D

Got up at 1:30AM after 3 hrs sleep, drove from Chelmsford to BSP, hiked up Baxter, over to Hamlin, back to Baxter, across the Knife Edge, and down Helon Taylor Trail . Stayed up late drinking and watched the Northern Lites . Up the next AM to go up the Coe Slide, over Coe, South Brother, North Brother and Fort. Drove home the next day.

Up at 3:30AM, leave Chelmsford, picked up RB in Bedford, met GK at Starr King trailhead, spot car, drove to South Pond in Stark, hiked the length of the Kilkenny Ridge Trail (25 miles), drove back to South Pond to pick up car, drove home, got home at 11:30PM.

After being stranded by the World Series Earthquake in ’89, we were delayed trying to get a flight out of either San Jose or San Francisco . Two nights later we ended up on a Redeye flight out of San Somewhere (I honestly don’t remember which one we flew out of, we were so tired) to Reno . Changed planes and then flew Reno to Dallas . Changed planes again and then flew Dallas to Boston . 14 hrs of sleep deprived planes and airports. It was a long recovery. Is business travel a sport?

When I went on my Himalayan trip we flew Boston to NY, stayed overnight, went to the airport the next afternoon, checked in and were delayed 10 hours, flew NY to Paris, Paris to Frankfurt, Frankfurt to Cairo, Cairo to Dubai, Dubai to Karachi in the same plane. We were then Jeeped across town for lunch then Jeeped back to the airport. Flew Karachi to Islamabad that afternoon. Three days later spent 4 hrs in a van traveling to the Khyber Pass and the Afghan border. 4 more hrs riding back. Two days later flew from Islamabad to Skardu, the most spectacular mountain flight in the world. Two days later stood in the back of a jeep for 4 hrs riding to the trailhead. Spent the next 36 days hiking to and from K2 Base Camp.

I’ve also done a Century Bike Ride (100 miles) in a day and also rode from Nashua to Alton Bay (63 miles) one day. A very long time ago in my youth.

Death marches? No, but they're longer and more toward the edge than your average trip.

JohnL

A daytrip to solo XC ski ~25mi (Lincoln Woods, Thoreau Falls Tr, Shoal Pond Tr, and back) worked for me. Over 17 hrs skiing plus driving, etc for ~24-25 hrs door-to-door.

Doug

I once cycled across country from washington state to my house in central mass (75% solo) - slept for 2 hours when I got home then headed to the Eagles reunion concert in the pouring rain.
My friends at home were pressing me to get to this concert so I ended up putting in some mega mileage (though, i would do that anyway). 200 miles/day started not to seem that hard. but i had nothing else to do - those were the days!

highly recommended way to see the country. great memories.

We once spent what appeared to be several hours walking across Hermit Island in an, um, 'impaired' state back to our campsite. Convinced we were making a spectacle of ourselves, we termed it a deathmarch as we just wanted to get back to our homebase with eyes upon us the entire time.