Pierce Through Washington to Complete my Single Season Winter 48 - 2/16/2009

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LRiz

Reaction score
I was determined not to start this thread before...

1. Sorting through the hundreds of pictures that I took this weekend
  2. Gathering my thoughts and taking the time to write a detailed trip report
However, to be very honest, I'm just too ridiculously excited to wait the 2+ days it'll take for me to complete those two tasks.

After a whirlwind 54 days of hiking, starting on Christmas Day last year and ending, today (quite fittingly) on Presidents Day, I realized my goal of climbing all 48 NH four thousand footers in one winter season. Cath and Tim were there to accompany me on my final seven peaks - namely, the Northern Presidentials on Sunday (thank you, Cath ;)), and Pierce through Washington today. We could not have asked for better conditions. The winds remained calm, the clouds and lighting wonderfully varied, the company... well, just marvelous!

It's been a long, tough, yet infinitely rewarding journey for me. Initially, I didn't believe myself to be strong enough (nor tenacious enough) to even attempt such a conquest. I was told by some that it's simply too ambitious a goal to strive for. Nevertheless, as improbable as it may have seemed at the time, I was hell bent on at least attempting the "single season" challenge.

I'm glad that I did. Over the past two months, I've had the pleasure of meeting so many extraordinary people, and have come to realize that it's truly possible to accomplish anything when you set your mind to it. Previously an adamant solo hiker, I quickly learned that hiking in the company of others is fun - in fact, I infinitely enjoy it over hiking alone (my only solo hike this winter - Waumbek - was certainly strange and lonely)... and most surprisingly to me, I actually grew to love my snowshoes, after tripping over them countless times on my first winter hike and angrily stating that I would never climb a mountain again whilst wearing them! ;)

To all of you who have made this dream of mine a reality - I cannot thank you enough. Here are a few pictures from my final four peaks today. I hope to post additional photos, and to write up more detailed accounts of my final two hikes as the week progresses...

Pierce (just a bit awkward) and Eisenhower:

Monroe and Washington:

...and what's a TR without a few silly pictures :D:

Now, what to do next?

Last edited:
Congratulations! An absolutely amazing accomplishment!

It was a pleasure to have bumped into you and your crew a couple of times this winter whilst you were in the middle of your quest. Excellent, excellent job. An extreme achievement! Congratulations!! And a hundred more accolades!!!

yellow shoes

tough gal--and yellow snowshoes...where did you get those???

Hmmmm... about 5 more weeks of winter left. We're thinking it should be enough time for you to put a huge dent into the 2nd round! Congratulations on an amazing journey!!

B&G
(Thinking we might just have to give Red Bull a try)

Fantastic! Amazing! Wondrous and Wonderful!

What an accomplishment. It will be spoken of by your children, grandchildren and generations beyond.

Congratulations!

Hooray!!! Knew you could do it. A big congrats to you -- and to those who accompanied you in your journey. :D

DId you already celebrate? If not, where and when is the party?

Last edited:
Great Job.

I had the honor of first meeting you on the Isolation hike a week after Thanksgiving when you commented at the trailhead that you were obsessed with hiking and had to switch from being a solo hiker to hiking with groups as winter was coming and hiking solo in winter wasnt going to work. At that point it was obvious you had "hiking fever". That was subsequently confirmed when I saw you post about reclimbing Isolation a couple of times in the next two weeks. Then a subsequent encounter on a Liberty and Fume hike and a New Years day chance encounter on the Kinsmans confirmed it, complete and total obsession!.

I was going to suggest revisiting the summits in nice conditions, but by the looks of most of your trip reports, you had great conditions on most of your winters. About the only thing is maybe to switch over to the "dark side" of hiking obsessions, bushwhacking.

Congratulations on your accomplishment. Now if the world could figure out how to harness all your excess energy, it would make a big dent in global warming:D (minus a big depletion in world caffeine reserves!)