Summer Planning

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WinterWarlock

Reaction score
OK - I know this is way generic and broad, but I'm trying to get some early recommendations for my next summer vacation...

My wife has seen many of your pics of Maine and would like to spend a week there...we figure it's about a ten hour drive from Rochester, NY, give or take. My only experience with Maine was a kid, living in Limestone one year (dad was in the Air Force), and while in college and on the off-shore sailing team, we would go to Boothbay, Portland,etc. and hit the summer racing circuit.

So - what are some highlights we don't want to miss? Hiking is definitely on the agenda, but would also like to see the lay of the land, as it were. And food - gotta have good food.

Thanks in advance for all your great ideas.

Scott

The Rangeley / Stratton area has everything you ask for.

There are cheap and expensive places to stay. The White Wolf Inn is near the bottom of the price spectrum, but very nice. They have good food and beer on premises. They are convenient to the 4Ks, and a laundry facility.

There are lots of moose, and lots of quaint little towns to visit. There are several ski areas that have the normal summer entertainment type of stuff that ski areas do to stay alive.

I have a TR from last summer on this board, http://vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=18368 The pics are no longer up, but I can send you a few hundred if you want! :D

Tom Rankin said:
They have good food and beer on premises.

Thanks Tom, and you know, as soon as I saw this was from you, I knew there'd be a beer reference! :D

So far these both sound good...thanks.

trailbiscuit said:
If I could only go one place, I would go to Acadia/Bar Harbor/Mt. Desert Island. Great mix of hiking, biking, eating and relaxing. That being said, you may want to consider scheduling for September.

I agree! I loved Acadia when I was there some 10 years ago!

if you want to just drive to one spot & get the most of the one spot, I'd do Acadia. Acadia is better, hills more alpine like than Camden but a longer drive.

if you were looking for some higher peaks to climb, I'd consider Camden (has local hills, on the water similar to Bar Harbor - Acadia), a slightly shorter drive from Rochester & a 137 mile drive to Western Mountains. (Saddleback, Bigelow Range)

From Acadia to BSP it's roughly 187 miles.

askus3 said:
I believe Winter Warlock is from Rochester, NY not Rochester, NH. The distance from Rochester, NY is much greater than 137 miles :eek:

I think he meant that it's closer to Rochester, NY, and that said Maine location is only 137 miles from the Rangeley area.

If you're a Red Sox fan (why the heck are you living in New York if that's the case!), stop in Portland along the way - nice downtown area on the water, neat islands a short ferry ride away, and the Red Sox AA affiliate the Portland Sea Dogs are in town. Neat stadium (set up sort of like Fenway), very reasonable prices (tickets are like $7-$9, food is much cheaper than Fenway or movie theaters).

Yup, Rochester, NY - but all this has been helpful thanks.

Right now I'm thinking a couple days in Acadia, then maybe up to Baxter might make sense...but it's still a ways off, so we'll see.

Thanks for all the help.

If you want to peakbag, then Stratton/Eustis is the place to be. We just spent a week at the terrific Cathedral Pines Campground, and there's also the White Wolf Inn which is like a motel with built-in bar and restaurant and where we had an amazing homemade dinner, the Spillover motel, and the Diamond Crossing B&B where we bought an awesome pie. Not a lot of other restaurants, though. It's a long drive from anywhere other than peaks, and even those will take a bit of backroad travel. There's also Kingfield, a bit more built up but further from every peak except Abraham, and they've got some neat stuff, including the Orange Cat Café ... yum! Coffee, sandwiches, and therapeutic massage. Or go for the full-on Lake scene down in Rangely, they have a ton of rental properties, you could get a small cottage on a lake or pond and have fun on the water or drive an hour or so to peaks.

But if you want the widest variety of things to do, hiking, biking, walking, driving, then Acadia is the #1 choice. The oceanfront scenery is magnificent, Bar Harbor's selection of restaurants is right up the road, you can camp in Acadia campgrounds or inn/hotel/B&B it in Bar Harbor, and in fall foliage season it just is spectacular and not crowded.

You can climb the Precipice Trail up to the top, climb the Beehive, walk the beach, enjoy the oceanfront cliffs, drive to the top for a Cadillac sunset, hike the Bubbles, push rocks on people, and generally enjoy New England autumn at its finest!

ps - if you stop in Portland, we recommend the Portland Lobster Company down on the waterfront for wicked yummy food out on the pier, and also the Sleepy Time Motel up in Auburn off I-95 for a night of rest along the drive.

I don't know... the prospect of rain next summer and all; I'd just stay indoors. Too much rain, I bet there's something good on television.

-Dr. Wu :p

If you are coming to Maine, you should definitely explore the coast. I agree with those who suggest the Camden and Acadia areas. Here's a personal plug on a favorite of mine: Select a multi-day cruise trip on the Schooner Summertime. It's a simple, rustic, small, traditional schooner that runs out of Rockland, Maine (and don't forget to visit the Farnsworth Museum when you are in Rockland). I sail with them every year and can't get enough of it. I've learned so much! It's even fun in the rain, Dr. Wu. The food is always delicious and the captain is first rate for encouraging people to learn the art of schooner sailing. He knows the boat inside and out, as he was responsible for building it 25 years ago. We passengers all help to raise the anchor, hoist the sails, take the helm, or not. Like ice cream? It's made on right board. Want to explore an island? Definitely on the schedule. Go rowing? There are two rowing boats. Let me know if you want more information, or go to their website: http://www.schoonersummertime.com/ :)

Why does it sound funny to me that "WinterWarlock" is planning a "summer" trip? (Hi Scott!).... :)

Acadia is going to have more options for you and the (sea)food near/on the coast is going to be more varied and fresher than most places inland. But don't just set your mind on Acadia, sometimes I find it nice to go out and experience other places off the beaton path.. Stonington, Blue Hill, Camden, all coastal Maine and will have some local flavor. Stop by MDI/Acadia for a couple days but I have always found it nice to explore some local flavor.

Jay

Jay H said:
Why does it sound funny to me that "WinterWarlock" is planning a "summer" trip? (Hi Scott!).... :)

Jay

Same reason you found it funny I was wearing my "St Patrick's Day" shirt in January! :D

Clearly lots to do - maybe we'd better think about two weeks!

I am starting a 2 week Maine trip on Sept 6. Can't wait. :D Did lots of reading and planning. Starting off by spending a few days in Baxter. Hopefully will have good weather and be able to hike Katahdin. Then, drive to western main to spend some time lake paddling with kayaks. Plan to hike Gulf Hagas and then drive to the coast. Plan to spend a few days in Acadia hiking, biking and/or kayaking. The a drive down the coast to Stonington and to spend a few days of ocean kayaking. Depending on time, weather and remaining energy levels may spend a day in Camden Maine. Looked at a day of hiking the Bold Coast but not sure how to fit it in. Taking the bikes, kayaks and all the camping gear. Talk about poor gas mileage....

We went to Maine for a week last year and visited Baxter, Acadia, and the Bold Coast (Cutler Preserve, camped at Cobscook Bay -- very nice). It's probably sacrilege to say this here, but of the three places we visited, Acadia ranked third (we still liked it, just preferred the other places more. maybe my expectations were too high?). We're returning this year to Baxter and Acadia (will definitely be a different trip as we now have a baby).

Our pictures and some trip notes are here if you are interested:

Maine pictures and notes

Acadia. But stay in Seawall on the quietside of the island. Lots of places to explore where you'll see no one if you're willing to get off the park loop road. Although you should do the loop road for the fabulous views and access to some really nice places.

Then head up to Baxter. Katahdin is like nothing in the Adirondacks. I'll never forget my first climb. We'd driven through most of the night, arrived and then the same day climbed Katahdin. Saying I was beat is truly an understatement.

Take the time at each to watch the movie/slide show at the visitor center/headquarters. Both very much worth your time and you'll appreciate so much more what each area has to offer.

Coming from Rochester I recommend driving as far as Freeport and staying the first night at Bradbury State Park. Get up early and drive on to Seawall (3 hours or less) because it's a first come, first served campground. You've got about a one hour drive longer than I do and this works like a charm. At Bradbury there's only one weekend in the summer when it fills and that's the mountain bike race weekend. Seawall always has turnover every day. You just have to be there early on the full days. Of course, you could jsut do a reservation at Blackwoods but they're all drive-in sites.