The passing of a member of our hiking family.................

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Neil and Sylvie, I am at a loss on what to say. When one of us more elderly hikers dies while hiking, it is often said that we died doing what we loved. That is true and perhaps it provides some solace. When it happens to one so young it almost seems that nature itself has conspired to cheat us. The many images and stories of Dominic that have been posted are a testament to the fine young man you raised, and they are a true celebration of his life.

Someone sent me this Native American Proverb at the passing of my father;

‘They are not gone who live in the hearts they left behind.’

May you find strength and peace.

thoughts and prayers to the family and friends.
go

"for what is it to die but to stand naked in the wind and melt into the sun?
and what is it to cease breathing, but to free the breath from it's restless tides, that it may rise and expand and seek God unencumbered?
only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. and when the you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. and when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance."
kahlil gibran,

Neil, you and your family are in my thoughts. I am so sorry for your loss.

Myself and my family members, spread across Canada, have taken solace in the outpouring of support that has manifested itself here. My friend Doug Hillman has often commented upon the way in which we hikers become so close so fast.

I have read each and every word of every post, PM and email and believe me, it really helps. It helps more than I would ever have thought. Sylvie and I thank you from the bottom of our hearts.

When I got the news, directly from the doctor in Banff, it cut through me like a buzzsaw. I believed I would never be able to hike or enter the mountains again. The irony of having taken Dominic by the hand and showed him the path to the mountains only to have it all lead to his death was too much to bear.

Since Monday, we have cried and cried, laughed some, been angry, felt guilty, held each other tight and have asked ourselves so many questions to which there can be no answers.

Today, in Lake Louise a memorial service is being held for Dominic. His boss, a lifelong friend of mine, has been telling us how Dominic was an inspiration to so many people in the Village of Lake Louise. His passion for the mountains and his goodness flowed out from him and touched many, many people.

I prepared this for him to read to the expected gathering of up to five hundred shook-up young people:

I can assume that if you are here that Dominic must have touched you in some way. Let me tell you, as Dom’s father how he touched me. Perhaps together we can find something positive in all this chaos.

I first took Dominic into the woods when he was 4 years old. It was a winter bushwhack on snowshoes and in retrospect, it was like sitting a child prodigy down in front of a piano for the first time.

He was a natural and through the years I took him on trips into the woods as often as possible. His questions and observations and his immense drive made me realize that I didn’t have an ordinary kid on my hands.

Dominic was so hardcore. I remember how at first, I was afraid of wearing him out. Once, on a 4 day winter trip north of Montreal and as we returned to the wilderness cabin at the end of a particularly long snowshoe bushwhack he said to me, “I like it best when at the end of the day I am exhausted, that way I know I got the most out of it”. He said this like other kids might say; I like the Red Hot Chillie Peppers.

I broke him in as a hiker in the Adirondacks. These little 4000 footers give you the false impression of being easy, but well-travelled hikers consider them to be the toughest hiking in the world. I myself, a well-seasoned Canadian Rockies hiker was blown away at how tough these mountains were to hike. Dominic tore through them. We would string together as many as five summits in 12 and even 15 hour-long days, starting with headlamps and finishing with headlamps. Winter and summer. I would always be sore the next day. Dominic, never.

Then, I brought him to the Rockies at age 15 and for 2 weeks we averaged nearly 4000 vertical feet of scrambling a day. It rained every day but one. Except, when we did Mount Temple there was not a cloud in the sky. We slept in a tent at Mosquitoe Creek for those 2 weeks and had no showers, no heat, cold well water only. Like I said, he was so bloody hard-core.

Dominic stood upon my shoulders and started his mountaineering life right from where I left off. He took all I had as an introduction and went much, much farther so much more quickly.

After he left home and came to Lake Louise to make his life as a Mountain Guide I reflected that the tables has slowly turned. Dominic had become my role model. I admired him so much and at age 51 I vowed to myself that I would stay in shape and keep hiking hard so I could keep up with him. He had become my inspiration.

I wanted to send Dominic a long, long letter to express my admiration and, as a father, to give him advice about life. And, to remind him of his weaker points. I thought a lot about that letter but somehow I never got around to writing it. Now, I am left with a huge emptiness as I reflect on all the things I will never do with Dominic, the things we will never say to each other.

So, the day after he died I sat down with my other boys and I told them how I much admired them and how much I loved them. I reminded them of all of their strong points. Then I did the same with Dominic’s mother, Sylvie. My suggestion to all of you here is if you have parents, brothers, sisters, children of your own or just friends that you admire, tell them. Tell them today. Tell them in the living years. If you wait, you may regret it, forever. Life is but a brief candle.

Thank you for listening,
Neil, Dom’s Dad

Some pictures of Dominic

Neil and Sylvie,

This is the greatest tragedy that can befall a parent. I can't imagine the measure of pain that you both must be feeling. Many others have said it but I hope you can take some small solice in the fact that he died doing what he loved and that you have so many caring people praying for you in this difficult time.

Ross

"A good man cannot be harmed either in life or in death." -- Socrates

Very, very sad. My condolences to you and your family.

Neil et Sylvie,

La tristesse m'accable, aussi minime elle peut être si on la place près de la votre.

Je me souviens bien comment j'avais été touchée par la sensilbilité de ce jeune de 18 ans à peine, qui m'avait si bien aidé lorsque je me suis fais mal en descendant Dix, en Mars 2006. Je n'arrête pas de me dire : Cela n'aurait jamais du arriver...

Cette injustice fait mal.

I have an idea for a small tribute that we could all participate in. Obviously, not all of us will be able to attend the viewing.
The Eulogy is at 8 on Tuesday evening. I think it would be neat, if we could all, in our different locations, light a candle outside at that time. At that time all of us could participate in that small tribute to Dominic and his memory.

Neil,though it may be of little solace at this time,take comfort in knowing that in a time when kids can go down so many roads that lead to misery,you and Sylvie raised a son you could have pride in. The fact that he was able to pursue the things that brought him joy,is a measure of your success as a parent.
There will never be a better day than today,every day,to tell the special ones how you feel.

My heart goes out to you for your loss.

Neil, like all of us here on VFTT, I am so sorry for your loss, and my thoughts go out to you and your family. Reading your tribute to your son brought tears to my eyes. What eloquent words.

Neil and Sylvie,

Please accept my sympathies at this difficult time. I'm so sorry for your loss.

-dave-

Neil, Thank you to you and your family for graciously sharing the the tribute, pictures and other aspects of Dominic's rich life full of love and family. Deepest condolences and sincerest sympathies for your loss. Have never met you or your family, but we have all been rewarded by your sharing how inspiring and full a short young life can be! Dominic certainly is part of the magic of the mountains now and I'm confident that he knows every thought in your heart that did not become a letter to him. It is wonderful that you have so many beautiful memories that you and your family can proudly share of your time with him. Like beautiful blue skies, those calm blue eyes are surely looking down on you with admiration! God bless your family and Dominic.

nice tribute

we were fortunate to hike a few peaks on the Presidential Range with Dominic, Neil, Frodo, Giggy, MEB

Dominic wanted to hike every peak in sight, climb every nook and cranny of nearby rocks while he'd wait for the group to catch up ... he was full of energy, and it was obvious that Dominic felt "at home" in the mountains, much like his Father

good people are often a reflection of good parents ... to share the great outdoors together is a bonus not many families are lucky enough to experience

hope that the fun memories your Family has experienced, along with the support of Family and Friends, help comfort you

know that your extended family grieves with you, and we're happy to help you however we can ...

posted a few pics from hiking with Dominic here
http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/193550160zCUskU?start=24

White Mountains

Neil and Sylvie,
I was so saddened when I heard of your loss. Dom is in the wilds with you, in every leaf, breeze, snowflake... You will feel him and in time will know that he is traveling with you, keeping you safe, and sharing your times together.

Neil -
In your profession you cure your patients' pain.
I wish there were some way we could cure yours.
I can't imagine losing one of my kids...
I can only imagine the depths of your pain in losing Dominic.
May you and Sylvie find the strength to shore each other up in your time of great grief.

jt

Last edited: