The passing of a member of our hiking family.................

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dear Neil and Sylvie,

Please accept my sympathy and condolences. Losing a loved one is never easy, but somehow it is especially tragic for parents to lose a child. You are in my heart and in my thoughts.

Neil, though I never got the chance to meet Dom, based on the outpouring and comments from folks here you can be very proud of a wonderful son.

I'm very sorry for you and your family. I hope you will stay by each other's side during this grief and share again in joy down the road.

Spencer

Prino, thanks so much for posting those pictures! Those were the pics that immediately popped into my mind of Dominic, but I didn't know where to find them.

ADKdremn said:
Prino, thanks so much for posting those pictures! Those were the pics that immediately popped into my mind of Dominic, but I didn't know where to find them.
Some of the pictures here are pretty mind blowing.

What a tragedy.

-Dr. Wu

giggy said:
My thoughts are with Neil and his family and have been all day since I got an email about noon.

I had the pleasure of meeting Dom once on the Mt Jefferson summit in April 2006. He was staying at Grey Knob with his freind and they had just hiked Washingon - we talked and I mentioned VFTT (Chip, MEB, and Drew were with me as well) and he mentioned he was Neils son - which of course we knew Neil.

RIP Dom.
I had forgotten that chance meeting. Thank you for reminding me. I really enjoyed that brief time with Dom. It was obvious he was a great guy. I'll search my pics, I think I took one of him there.

Words can not express much. I am deeply sorry for your loss. The entire hiking and climbing community has lost a great adventurer.

Last edited:
Neil,
I'm so sorry for your loss. You and your family have been in my thoughts since I heard the news.

My deepest condolences.

Neil,
I extend to you and your loved ones my deepest sympathy.
May the wonderful memories you have of Dom keep him alive in your hearts forever.
My thoughts and prayers are with you during this very difficult time.

Neil,

I assume you showed Dom the forest and the mountains which took his life. This was not a bad thing, but a wonderful thing. It was not a mistake, it was a good father's blessing. Dom was a man. You showed him the mountains, but he fell in love with them. He followed his own heart.

Neil and Sylvie: Please know that you're in my thoughts. He was way too young and this is truly a tragedy. God bless...

This whole story just tore my heart out. Please take solace in the fact that he was doing something that he loved to do. Many people walk through life with no purpose and no passion, it appears he was following his heart and living life to the fullest. I would like to think that there is an eternal smile upon his face.

What do you say to something like this? I'm very sorry for your loss Neil and Sylvie and hope you find the strength to make it through this difficult time.

Neil - You have my deepest sympathy at this very sad time. Our thoughts go out to you now and especially when we're in the mountains. Stu

Neil and Sylvie,

My thoughts and prayers are with you. I am sure that you were very proud of your son. Just from seeing some of the pictures posted here I can tell that he was an excellent young man. My own son is the same age, but I can't imagine the depth of your sorrow. You both have my deepest sympathy.

Woody