Who's going to the FTFC Dinner? 4/14/07

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wish I could go too, but MATC is having their annual club meeting in Orono that day and I need to be there to prep for the upcoming Trail Maintenance season. Need to collect my 48/67/NEHH patches but it can wait.
Have fun! I'll run into you folks at some point or other...

good idea Dave :) laffs...i finished the winter 4k's last year, maybe i should fill out some application to get a patch this year. why don't i get as excited about these things as i used to? maybe im just getting lazy.

This year is the 50th anniversary of the FTFC, so it's a big deal, kinda. That's why I was in such a hurry to finish something! :D

Maybe we should start calling it Gathering 9.8?

Really, the best place to meet is at the school and the best time is before the awards ceremony. People seem to leave fairly quickly afterwards. The meal itself is fine and any profits, I believe, go the the AMC. It's a small price to pay for the benefits we get--both there and on the trail. :)

I have only been to one of these events since they moved to Stratham High, but I think that all the pizza (including vegetarian) and chocolate cake that you can eat for $12 ($13 - $1) is a bargain, not to mention the extra time to chat. Does not appear to be a guest speaker this year? Some of those keynote speakers in the past were excellent.

I went last year and you had to have a ticket for the pizza. One trip up was all you got. Sorry, but $12 for two slices of pizza and a small piece of cake is not exactly worth it. I'll have a better dinner someplace else beforehand and then come to the school to socialize before the awards.

I donate my time and money in other ways throughout the year. :)

Dr. Dasypodidae said:
I have only been to one of these events since they moved to Stratham High, but I think that all the pizza (including vegetarian) and chocolate cake that you can eat for $12 ($13 - $1) is a bargain, not to mention the extra time to chat. Does not appear to be a guest speaker this year? Some of those keynote speakers in the past were excellent.

Thom - have been 3 or 4 times since they moved it to Stratham, and don't recall they're ever being a guest speaker. Don't mean to sound harsh, but the same old stories get tossed back and a forth between Gene and Tom. OK the first time, but get old after that! Maybe this year they'll reverse the format and recognize those who've completed the winter 111's first, rather than wait until the end. Much like universities which recognize the PhD's before the BA's.

After the 1st year (when the school's hot lunch program did the the meal), I just packed a picnic lunch and ate on the lawn with lots of others. Good time to socialize with old and new friends.

Kevin

You make it very tempting, Tom! But ... am in the midst of a life-long goal of mine, that of building a house. Just finished the major framing today, so will be up to my eyeballs with wiring, insulating, sheetrocking, etc for the near future.

And yes, Steven has been most gracious in cooking apres-hike snacks for Mr. B. He's one pampered dog around him and Cath.

Sounds like the menu and guest speakers have been not so good since the one time I attended in Stratham many years ago; I believe the talk was about climbs and safaris in East Africa.

Not sure what is nearby for good restaurants, but there must be something in Exeter.

Yeah, I'll be picking up my scroll, looking forward to meet all of you. Terri, has been a while, really hope you can make it.

This is Constantine (Dean) Gletsos and he is planning on attending the dinner. Please welcome him as he is a good friend of mine and is coming a long way from New York to receive his scroll. I don't believe he knows any of you. He completed his Northeast 115 on June 7 climbing Old Speck and finished his NH 48 on his 70th birthday on August 5, 2004. He summited 47 of his 48 White mountain peaks and all of his Maine peaks with me.

NE 100 to pick up

I mailed in for a ticket before the deadline. I also just received my NE 100 highest patches, so i reckon i'll pick up my scroll.

I look forward to meeting a few of you all...

peace

I'm pretty sure Charlie and I will be there, even though we are in the middle of unpacking our new house!

giggy said:
what kind of beer are they serving? Is it a bud or sam adams event?

Actually, the event itself is alcohol free, being held at a school and all. That being said, some attendees have been known to head somewhere after the ceremonies for a pop.

Marty