Winter Record Attempt 12/22 - 12/31

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mats Roing

Reaction score
So here we go again :D . Please feel free to join in whenever you can! Last winter I bailed after 21 peaks.
The goal here is to finish before 2008 comes around. Winter Solstice start at 01:08am on 12/22 this year in New England

If I start at 3:36am on 12/22 I have exactly until the clock strikes 12 and the fireworks goes off for 2008 to break Tim Seaver's record from 2006. I count Cath Goodwin to be a part of that record as well since she finished not much after Tim. At any rate Cath is the fastest winterwoman in the Whites. See http://www.vermontphoto.com/

One new thing for this year will be that I'm using a personal tracker so people can follow me on-line on a map exactly where I am. http://www.mypilotstore.com/mypilotstore/sep/5036
Will work out the details how this will work in the next few weeks. Probably it will be off my website: http://www.matsroing.com/ Stay tuned on this....
Here is a more focused plan. Still subject to change:
12/22: Moosilauke, Tripyramids - Passaconaway Traverse (Pine Bend up and Passaconaway Slide to Downes Brook down), Hancocks
12/23: Kinsmans, Cannon, Osceola's, Tecumseh
12/24: Seven Dwarfs TH - Twins - Franconia Ridge Traverse
12/25: Hale - Zealand - Bonds - Owl's Head
12/26: Carrigain, Tom, Field, Willey
12/27: Isolation, Waumbeck, Cabot
12/28: Pressie Traverse
12/29: Moriah - Wildcat
12/30: Extra Day
12/31: Extra Day

And again....weather, weather, weather.......

Maybe should do it in a Santa hat :)

Last edited:
Good luck! I'm looking forward to following your progress. Maybe I'll position myself along one of your routes to cheer you on in person.

-vegematic

Mats ~ That personal tracker thing is pretty cool. We all should probably get one.....................unless there are those amongst us that are part of the FWPP.

I don't know if asking people to pre-pack the trails is exactly in the spirit of doing this trek, but I'm not critizing.

Don't be afraid of the Fishin Jimmy trail ! Just drag a line of Prayer Flags with you ;)

Enjoy the ride, will be looking forward to your reports :)

Last edited:
Mats Roing said:
So here we go again :D . Please feel free to join in whenever you can! Last winter I bailed after 21 peaks.
Wow, this will be during the shortest daylight times of the year! :eek:

Good luck! Make sure you have lots of headlamp batteries! :D

Tom Rankin said:
Wow, this will be during the shortest daylight times of the year! :eek:

Good luck! Make sure you have lots of headlamp batteries! :D
You know what, and no disrespect at all Tom, but if yer gonna do it, just freakin' do it. I think it's cool that Mats is starting right when (calendar) winter is officially starting -- you never know what conditions yer gonna get at any point, might as well take a stab at the beginning. Days might be shorter but there might be less snow and warmer temps. Who knows.

Cath: the little winky thing ( ;) ) makes me think Mats doesn't really expect to have a trail crew out in front of him breaking. If anything we'll be out there loading the trail with dog doo and such just to make sure he's staying honest about things.

Good luck, Mats. Have fun.

-Dr. Wu

Mats Roing said:
Maybe should do it in a Santa hat :)

Or at the very least, a stylish and traditional
Dubbelmossa and matching mitts! :D

Hope you get a great weather slot and lots of company to enjoy the adventure with. If this current snowfall is a sign of things to come, it should be a great season!

Mats Roing said:
The goal here is to finish before 2008 comes around. Winter Solstice start at 01:08am on 12/22 this year in New England

If I start at 3:36am on 12/22 I have exactly until the clock strikes 12 and the fireworks goes off for 2008 to break Tim Seaver's record from 2006.
Interesting concept for a "chase start"

I suppose the next goal will be the fastest ascent each month, although early December would probably be faster

Mats -
If a total wuss like me can find enjoyment on the Fishin' Jimmy Trail you should be fine - IMHO - that stretch of trail should be the least of your concerns - good luck, and as always - you Tim, and Cath need not feel threatened by any possibility of me attempting to better your times - I would measure this in years - not days! :)

Best of luck on your great adventure :)
I vote for the Santa hat :cool:

Go for it Mats. I will perhaps see you along the way to cheer you on. I like the Santa hat idea, but for winter Rudolph antlers and a Red Nose cozy might work as well..... :p

skiguy said:
Good luck...are you bringing the Under..or should I say OverPants ?

The layering concept is a lot faster with the underpants over.....normally they are between the longjohns and the outerpants......for protection of the hardware......XC skiers especially wear these.....useful on those long downhills when it's -10........

When I hike with Stinkyfeet and Gillian etc, have to make up for my slow hiking by being able to layer and unlayer fast......

Last edited:
Nif said:
Go for it Mats. I will perhaps see you along the way to cheer you on. I like the Santa hat idea, but for winter Rudolph antlers and a Red Nose cozy might work as well..... :p

Hey Nif.....great idea!

I think a Santa practice hike on Franconia Ridge is in order :)

Mats Roing, you're my hero!

I'll be getting sloshed on new years and sending good vibes towards a speedy finish!!

Oh yeah, and let's hope for some kicka** weather!!

We must not take childish risks.
One can't climb without some risk.
Perhaps the young face these risks more easily.
Good weather, bad weather. Any time's good for climbing.​
[Eiger Sanction, 1975, to be spoken vith a Chermann accent!]

Good luck, Mats! Wacky stuff like this has to be done or the universe goes slightly off axis.