mooning the cog train on Washington

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agree with Sierra...

This is not "civil disobediance". There is nothing civil about flashing your smelly, hairy rear end to people who have done nothing to you. It is juvenille and uncouth. It's disobediant becuase it's illegal, but it is not civil.

"Live free or die" is the NH motto. This is often misrepresented by tourists. We freely elect legislators, who make law to represent our wishes. Flashing one's private parts is illegal because the free citizens of NH freely choose it to be so. We are civil folks, and we freely make our own laws. So, the prohibition of this juvenille act reflects our free will.

Prudish? How would you react if I exposed my privates to your wife or sister or mother. Problem? What are you, a prude? Oh, all of a sudden you are concerned with those conservative social norms. So, you have a set of values that you think should be upheld in a civil society. Imagine that.

Mooning the cog obviously will not cause any change. The cog riders and owners will not stop riding or operating the cog because someone mooned them. They do not see that as a legitimate statement from a civilized person. Instead, they see a deranged, juvenille act. Mooning is simply a childish self-indulgant act. "I'm like cool. Like, down with the man!"

Hikers want to park in the cog parking lot in winter. I'm glad they understand that the mooners are only a miniscule, insignificant few of grunts, and don't hold it against the rest of us.

"deranged, juvenille [sic] act" ??????

forestgnome said:
Agree with Sierra...

This is not "civil disobediance". There is nothing civil about flashing your smelly, hairy rear end to people who have done nothing to you. It is juvenille and uncouth. It's disobediant becuase it's illegal, but it is not civil.

"Live free or die" is the NH motto. This is often misrepresented by tourists. We freely elect legislators, who make law to represent our wishes. Flashing one's private parts is illegal because the free citizens of NH freely choose it to be so. We are civil folks, and we freely make our own laws. So, the prohibition of this juvenille act reflects our free will.

Prudish? How would you react if I exposed my privates to your wife or sister or mother. Problem? What are you, a prude? Oh, all of a sudden you are concerned with those conservative social norms. So, you have a set of values that you think should be upheld in a civil society. Imagine that.

Mooning the cog obviously will not cause any change. The cog riders and owners will not stop riding or operating the cog because someone mooned them. They do not see that as a legitimate statement from a civilized person. Instead, they see a deranged, juvenille act. Mooning is simply a childish self-indulgant act. "I'm like cool. Like, down with the man!"

Hikers want to park in the cog parking lot in winter. I'm glad they understand that the mooners are only a miniscule, insignificant few of grunts, and don't hold it against the rest of us.
Time to close the thread.

-Dr. Wu

Megan's List

Laws are in place that allow police to hit these lewd people with charges that will put them on Megan's List for life.
Do that, publicize it and see this offensive conduct stop. The sooner the better. We've had this discussion here before.

forestgnome said:
This is not "civil disobediance". There is nothing civil about flashing your smelly, hairy rear end to people who have done nothing to you. It is juvenille and uncouth.

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men." - Willy Wonka

Forestnome -

I agree with you that mooning in a public area is a crude act. However, I disagree with you on one point - civil disobedience. On the few occasions I've been with people who've mooned the Cog, the conversation usually goes like this: "God, I hate that Cog! It stinks, screws up the environment, and there's not a damn thing I can do about it. If it's there when we're nearby, I think I'll shoot it a moon".

This may be one of those things we agree to disagree on, as it would tough to get a valid poll of why people moon the cog. But, my hunch is that once the Cog switches over to oil-fired engines (apparently those work better than coal in the cold for the ski trains) then the overall acceptance of the Cog in the hiker community will increase, and the incidence of mooning will decrease. Won't happen overnight, as I understand it's a tradition among the AT'ers, but ... time will tell. Neither the Cog nor the hiker is going away anytime soon.

dr_wu002 said:
Time to close the thread.
Actually, there's nothing in that post that would make me close this thread. I think we can stay civil while disagreeing on this subject.

My thoughts are that if you're going to moon the cog, you should be doing so at a distance where you can't be easily given a ticket by rangers on the Cog. Otherwise it may very well have consequences that are unpleasant. If you are so close that they can stop the train and catch you, you are too close.

The rangers gave out tickets in Tuckerman Ravine for nude skiing, I don't see this as being any change in policy.

David Metsky said:
My thoughts are that if you're going to moon the cog, you should be doing so at a distance where you can't be easily given a ticket by rangers on the Cog. Otherwise it may very well have consequences that are unpleasant. If you are so close that they can stop the train and catch you, you are too close.
Ah, and I have just the equation one could use to calculate the distance you need to be at! Substitute "height above cog tracks" for "height above road surface" and yer in business!

-Dr. Wu

Last edited:
Hillwalker said:
Hahaha, I guess this just shows how petty and incomprehensibly stupid the forestry service can be with regards to this and the Owl's Head stuff. What a misguided waste of resources and an utter lack of vision on their part. Break-ins at trailheads = ok. Mooning the Cog = sin! :eek: :D

-Dr. Wu

Kevin Rooney said:
However, I disagree with you on one point - civil disobedience. On the few occasions I've been with people who've mooned the Cog, the conversation usually goes like this: "God, I hate that Cog! It stinks, screws up the environment, and there's not a damn thing I can do about it. If it's there when we're nearby, I think I'll shoot it a moon".
I agree putting officers on the Cog for this is a bit silly because their presence is valued higher in other places and to stop other crimes. But the big problem I have is when people on this site start throwing the words "Civil disobedience" around as an excuse for this rather silly and childish act. This country has always had a long standing tradition of rallying the public against oppression from the government or those in charge (the "Big Brother" or what have you.) I am all for disobedience when warrented. By by saying that mooning the Cog is Civil disobedience you are basically comparing it to great thinngs as Martin Luther King marching on Washington, or the Vietnam and draft protests, or todays protests about current events (you kow what I mean...I am just not writing it so as to keep this non political per the wishes of Darren and the Mods.)

By the very nature of calling it a "tradition" we are pretty much implying its more about "fun" or "because everyone else does it" and less about "That thing is hideous and needs to be destroyed", and by simply calling this Civil disobedience we give a big whopping slap in the face to our past history where Civil disobedience was meant as a way of making right of wrongs. As has been stated, if you think mooning the Cog will get rid of it your crazy. Thats why we elect legislators to act in our stead......we dislike something we complain to our elected officials, and if they do nothing then we find new officials come election time.

So I guess the simple answer is: Stop mooning the cog, elect someone who will regulate air quality on Mount Washington, Cog switches to solar powered engines......ok, so maybe it aint quite so simple :D .

Brian

According to Gandhi's rules of civil disobedience, you should never insult your opponent. If you must expose your buttocks, make sure they are clean and presentable.

There is also legal precedent that mooning is not considered indecent exposure: http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1551843/posts

If you aren't comfortable with risking an appellate court's decision, do what the judge mentioned: just flash that cog your thong !

albee said:
If you aren't comfortable with risking an appellate court's decision, do what the judge mentioned: just flash that cog your thong !

I liked the post on that thread - "I think this case threatens to reveal the cracks in our legal system"

but I've always been a sucker for puns.

Was I the only one who was completely unsurprised when they read the officer's name?

I doubt its "civil disobedience" - its just good ole fashion goofing around. Nothing more - nothing less. This is the result of the endless over the top PC crowd complaining about things becuase they have nothing better to do.

To put a mooning in the same catagory of sex offenders is insane. I doubt most reasonable people would classify that as lewd conduct. In fact, in addition to albee's link - I read this morning in the paper that a man in CA was doing carpentry in the nude and was found not guilty because it was not considered "lewd" and he was not getting sexual gratification for it. I would bet, this charge could be fought and won in court.

Sorry we can't all live up to the high standard of hiking as some here ;) :rolleyes:

proud to be freinds with the "grunts". ;)

Last edited: