NH48 Winter Record Attempt 1/16/10 -

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got off the phone with Farmer.....him and JF are going strong and are on the way to Owls Head!!

Whoooo-hoo....shake n' bake!!!

-MEB

Team less one member is sill going strong - will drive to Lincoln Woods in a few hours to pick them up. I'm out of the game after summiting Garfield with Jason and Ryan today.

A few things added together made me join the support team instead. Basically I felt too fatigued to go towards Lafayette and break trail. My blister on left foot and lower back pain was makingthe decision easier. When being on a team you have to make sure you add value to the team and at that point it seemed like I would be a better asset being on the support team. The toughest part was to make a decision to abandon the attempt for the third time. But that's a part of the game plan and you know this before heading into the adventure.

Day 4 is still under way and Jason and Ryan are out there in the dark......may the force be with them.....

Sorry to hear that

My condolences Mats. It must be frustrating for you, but sounds like you had no choice. Best of luck for the success of the team effort.

Mats you have infinite respect within the hiking community and always show us what is best in you! You have time and time shown us that you are so much more than mere human. You are heart and soul to the end even if its to help others realize the goal you inspired! The first time I met you was a night much like tonight during your first attempt as you headed into the darkness and rain to hike the Hancocks solo. Take care of yourself and look forward to your posts! Your team is so fortunate to have you no matter what role you play in the game, you have always been a true champion!;)

Each attempt at this has made me so much more respectful of those who held the records in the past and what they had to do to achieve it!
Go team Shake and Bake!:D

You gave it you best shot, and a good one at that. You'll be a strong supporter now. If the boys make it, it'll be in part because you're still behind them.

Continued good luck to JF & Farmer.....

Shake and Bake!!!!

Sorry to hear about your feet, Mats; I second Dave Bear's and others' comments. I am back from NZ and in Thornton for a few days, so let's get together at the Station for a Pemi PA?

Jason is having a veggiemate sandwich and feels like he hiked from the land down under;) Just picked them up at Lincoln Woods after they banged out Garfield-Franconia Ridge and Owls's Head:eek:

Franconia Ridge posed the biggest problem today with 25 feet visibility above timberline and lots of snow. The way from Garfield to Lafayette was relatively easy to follow. 17+ hrs on the trail and they are done with 24 peaks and the only major obstacle left is Bonds-Twins traverse with Zealand and Galehead which will likely happen Thursday. Tomorrow they start with Willey's and then Carrigain and then re-assess the situation.

Jason was using the Kahtoola overboots and the corresponding Flightdeck snowshoe and Ryan was using a pair of old-school Tubbs today.

Second Half about to begin.......

I am back from NZ and in Thornton for a few days, so let's get together at the Station for a Pemi PA?

I'm in cabin #15 at Carroll Cottage in Twin Mountain all day today (no vehicle).....Fabyan's is not too far away....hint hint ;) No cell reception here but have internet.

Mats- you are a record breaker, a force for good, a heart of gold, a chicken dinner cooked with cornflakes instead of bread crumbs.... congratulations on a herculean effort. ryan and jf- I know you'll make mats proud.