Team Dom attempts Denali May 21 - June 10th

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Christine -

Thanks for being the point person. Excellent idea to use this forum for updates - even immediate family have relied on your posts for info, due to the erratic phone reception/transmission. And I agree with SherpaK (hey dude) that the priority is knowing that everyone is OK. Hope you have a good trip!

Sue

Talkeetna weather forecast

The forecast is for little sunshine the next few days, so if their sat phone batteries need recharging, they may be out of luck. Hope that they do not get stuck at Kahiltna base for days waiting for their flights out to Talkeetna. Sightseeing around Denali or Anchorage would beat hanging out at base camp until their flights home, for sure.

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=talkeetna,+Alaska

Dr. Dasypodidae said:
Hope that they do not get stuck at Kahiltna base for days waiting for their flights out to Talkeetna. Sightseeing around Denali or Anchorage would beat hanging out at base camp until their flights home, for sure.
Yeah, but then I'd see them if they got stuck there. ;)
In Anchorage now at the Arctic Adventure Hostel. Nice place! Free internet and a huge clean kitchen. Not sure what I can see while I'm in Anchorage because I don't think much is in walking distance from this place.

leaf said:
Not sure what I can see while I'm in Anchorage because I don't think much is in walking distance from this place.

Check out this place http://www.alaskanative.net/ you should be able to catch a shuttle out there. You can find out at the info center on 4th st between G and H.

I was there a few weeks ago and spend an entire afternoon. I found it facinating.

If native culture is not your thing there is a great brewery/ pub on 6th street.

Last edited:
leaf said:
In Anchorage now at the Arctic Adventure Hostel. Nice place! Free internet and a huge clean kitchen. Not sure what I can see while I'm in Anchorage because I don't think much is in walking distance from this place.
You can wave to Team Dom from the Anchorage Airport! I saw Denali from there on a clear day! :D

team Dom

hey you all,

wanted to tell you that i'm thinking of you up there. you're not missing anything down here. All quiet and damp on the Western front.

I hope you're enjoying the purity of the landscape up there, as well as your break from endless work and civilisation. That is definitely the best part about doing something like you're doing.

Mats, my lilacs will no longer be in bloom as i had hoped, cause they smell so good!

Have fun as much as possible....5 more days of freedom. And for me 5 more days til freedom. (I'm being held prisoner to "teach" (baby-sit) little 8th grade shits.

big hugs to all,
annalisa

DougPaul said:
However, if you can fly in, they can likely fly out... :(

Doug
Doug, for once, not necessarily correct. :D Being in the air you ALWAYS have to land. Being on the ground you don't have to take-off. :rolleyes:

Ok, my nerves are so frazzled that I've taken to intellectual discussion with Doug. :eek:

So... How is everyone, and who summitted??? AARRRGGGHHHHH!!!!

Sorry, no call or text or smoke signals... :eek:

Will post as soon as I hear ANYTHING!!!

:rolleyes:

I am headed out of town in about 8 hours...

I am NOT bringing the laptop to Alaska, but with any luck, the Team will be POSTING themselves very soon! ;)

If I hear ANYTHING between now and 1am I will DEFINATELY post!

:)

SherpaKroto said:
Doug, for once, not necessarily correct. :D Being in the air you ALWAYS have to land. Being on the ground you don't have to take-off. :rolleyes:
You may have to land, but not necessarily safely or where you want to land...

Besides, I only said that "if you can fly in, they can likely fly out...". Not "if you can fly in, they can absolutely fly out...".

Ok, my nerves are so frazzled that I've taken to intellectual discussion with Doug. :eek:
That's nothing--you should hear it when I start disagreeing with myself. :) Furthermore, the anesthesia is still wearing off--I had some loose screws removed two days ago.*

Doug

* From my hip--where did you think?

SherpaKroto said:
So... How is everyone, and who summitted??? AARRRGGGHHHHH!!!!

With the "clues" I've been given,
I would guess, Arm did it, with the Axe, in the Study. :rolleyes:
But, I was never good at that game, so....
Looks like we might have to wait for cell-phone reception at this point.

Here's to a safe descent!
And hoping the pilot remembers the mini-kegs! :)

See you soon.

leaf said:

Hey, leaf, good luck getting into Kathiltna Base as soon as possible after your arrival in Talkeetna. I suspect Team Dom may be at KB by now or tomorrow. Check out Earthquake Park in Anchorage, as it is in walking distance. :)

Lloyd's wife emailed me a couple of hours ago w/ news that they are at base camp waiting for the plane... sounds like weather may delay pickup, but then the phone cut out.

Whewww!

Thanks for posting Sue!

Now I can get a couple of hours sleep before I leave... :rolleyes:

Glad someone was able to call out and get some news as to thier wherabouts!

:)