Trail Work

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nutsosa said:
I didn't see this in arm's links, so thought I'd mention it. There is an AMC basic trail maintenance skills session on Saturday at Pinkham Notch. I believe it's free for trail adopters, $30 otherwise. It looks like it hasn't filled up yet, or they just haven't updated the website. (link)

I'll be there! Not just 'cuz there's free food.

Squam Lakes Association

If you happen to live or vacation in the lakes region of NH, here's another organization that can use trail adopters and other voluteers. My husband and I just adopted a couple miles of SLA trails and we did our first maintenance over the weekend!

http://www.squamlakes.org/programs/trails.php

arm said:
dug up a few trailwork opportunities - feel free to add anything
WODC newsletter arrived yesterday; these are not listed on their website but you can probably email trails at wodc dot org for more info. (I will not include the phone numbers that are provided in the newsletter.)

Sat. 17 May, spring clean-up day. 8:30am Ferncroft kiosk (Blueberry Ledges/Dicey's Mill trailhead.) Full day or half day.

Sat. 7 June (Natl trails day): Joint WODC/Squam Lakes Assn/Friends of Sandwich Range. Meet at Mead Conservation Center, SE end of Sandwich Notch.

Sat. 19 July (NH Trails Day): TBD, in conjunction with WODC summer crew.

There are also opportunities for monitoring the use of the Wilderness throughout July and August.

USFS budget cuts hit the WODC hard for 2007; they lost FS logistical/manpower support for their trail work which meant they also lost outside grants that were contingent on FS support. (I'm being intentionally nonspecific since I don't understand all the details; I hope Peter will correct me if I'm being misleading.)

Great post!

I find this particularly interesting:
April 25, Trail Work - Burnt Meadow Mountain - Brownfield Maine
Waterbar cleaning and work on new loop trail
June 6, Trail Work - Stone Mountain - Brownfield Maine
Work on new side trail construction in conjunction with new loop trail on nearby Burnt Meadow Mountain

Already a neat hike, a loop hike with a spur to Stone Mountain would make Burnt Meadow a very, very nice hike!

Tin Mountain trail Clearing 9/14/2009

Another trail work opportunity:

Trail Clearing
Saturday, November 14 from 9 AM through 2 PM

Join Tin Mountain Director Michael Cline and clear at the Tin Mountain Field Station in Jackson New Hampshire off of Tin Mine Road.

Meet at 9 AM at the base parking lot and bring a lunch, work gloves and if you have them, loppers.

For more information call Mike at 603-986-2951

Spnhf

http://www.spnhf.org/thingstodo/
To register, contact Carrie Deegan at [email protected] or 603-224-9945.

Work Days:
Wooden Sign Restoration Days May 12, 14, 21, and 26 from 10 a.m. Conservation Center, Concord
Work with Forest Society staff to stencil, route, stain, varnish, and paint a new group of weather-worn wooden signs over four days in May.

Lost River Work Day Thursday, May 13, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Lost River Reservation, Woodstock
Help with clearing trails, pruning native gardens, and=0A other assorted tasks to get Lost River ready for opening weekend.

Monadnock Trails Week
Saturday, July 17 through Wednesday, July 21 Monadnock State Park, Jaffrey
Come for a day or for the week! Join conservation professionals and other volunteers to restore recreational trails on New Hampshire's most storied mountain.

Srkgc

Sunapee-Ragged-Kearsarge Greenway Coalition www.srkg.com

July 17: New Hampshire Trails Day clean up, lop and blaze Lincoln Trail on Mount Kearsarge from Kearsarge Valley Road to as far as we get by 3:00 p.m. Pizza to follow.

Summer Trail Tuesdays on the CRT

Summer Trail Tuesdays on the CRT

Opportunities for Hikes and Trail Work
on the Cross Rivendell Trail
Tuesdays during the summer from 5pm to 7pm

Dates: June 15th, June 29th, July 13th, July 27th, Aug 10th, Aug 24th

PLANS & LOCATIONS ~ To be Announced (see below)

NEXT EVENT is TUESDAY, JULY 13th

5pm - 7pm

WHERE: Sunday Mountain, Orford, NH ~ 4.4 mile hike (round-trip) to partially wooded summit of Sunday Mountain.
DIRECTIONS: From Orford take Route 25A towards Mount Cube. Turn LEFT onto Indian Pond Rd and directly on the right look for a parking area and trail kiosk. Meet at 5pm ~ weather permitting.

More information: http://www.crossrivendelltrail.org -or contact Andy Boyce at [email protected]
I hope that Farmer and friends go on this hike and report how much trail work they accomplish in 2 hours in addition to hiking the 4.4 miles

Union Leader editorial on NH Trails Day

The Union Leader wrote an editorial complaining about poor publicity and lack of opportunities.
http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?articleId=4689b042-669c-4667-ba5e-fbdef804ae54

The number of parks went up to at least 3 but was apparently trimmed back once Saturday was over.

I did a day of trail work in one park and what we did merely scratched the surface of what that park needed, and most parks had no work day at all - it's too bad that with the state fiscal crunch that the parks dept still has little interest in volunteers.

And SRKG is working on Lincoln Trail Kearsarge Saturday (hear that, ME?) but the info is not on their website - you need to e-mail them to get info.

VT - Long trail work - 10/30-31/2010

Trail clearing planned for Halloween weekend
Posted: 10/28/2010 11:14:35 AM EDT

PERU - The Green Mountain Club is planning two trail clearing parties to clean up hiking trails around the area.

On Saturday, Oct. 30, those interested in helping clear the trails are asked to meet at 8 a.m. at the Peru Post Office. Volunteers will clean water bars and cut brush from Griffith Lake to the summit of Styles Peak. Those interested should be aware that they will need to walk in to beginning of work site and walk out, and should bring hoes, clippers and saws.

On Sunday, Oct. 31, those interested in helping out should plan to meet at 9 a.m. at the Route 11/30 long Trail parking lot to cut more water bars and harden a section trail done last summer on the Long Trail between the shelter and the summit on the south side of Bromley and should bring digging tools, saws and clippers.

For more information, call Marge Fish at 802-824-3662.

Reactions: arm
2011 Trailwork

Arm, hope you don't mind if I revive this thread instead of making a new one.

------
AMC New Hampshire Chapter
http://amc-nh.org/calendar/activities.php

05/14/2011 Old Bridle Path: Easy work

05/21/2011 Old Bridle Path: Views & maintenance!

05/27/2011 Cold River Camp (with CTA)

06/04/2011 NH Family Group/5th Annual Mount Willard Trail Work Day

06/05/2011 National Trails Day + 1 at Pawtuckaway State Park

09/17/2011 Trailwork on Connie's Way

---------
Chocorua Mountain Club
http://chocorualakeassociation.com/

05/07/2011 Annual Trail Clearing Day

-----------

Chatham Trails Association (CTA).
http://www.chathamtrails.org/index.html

2011 Annual Meeting:
May 28, 7:30 p.m.
Cold River Camp

2011 Work Weekends:
May 27-30
June 3-6
September 30-October 3

------------

Trailwrights
http://www.trailwrights.org/trailwrights_calendar.htm

May 20, 21 & 22, Mt Tom, Holyoke, MA

Saturday, May 28: Artist Bluff/ Bald Mtn. Loop, Franconia Notch State Park.

Saturday, June 4 National Trails Day Orford N.H. The Dan Doan Trail:

Saturday, June 18, Fox Forest, Hillsborough, NH:

Saturday, July 16: N.H. Trails Day, Mt. Pemigewasset Trail Franconia Notch State Park:

Wapack Trail

I had the chance to help build my first waterbars during an April 30 trail work day with the "Friends of the Wapack". I first worked with "the Friends" in the spring of 2009 cleaning up the damage from the Dec. 2008 ice storm. We actually did have a lot of fun doing the trail work, and it's nice to see your hard work being used and appreciated.
Thanks to all the trail maintainers out there!

Monadnock Trails Week
Saturday, July 9 through Wednesday, July 13 Monadnock State Park, Jaffrey, NH
Come for a day or for the week! Join conservation professionals and other volunteers to restore recreational trails on New Hampshire's most storied mountain.

Further details TBA. To get on the contact list, email Carrie Deegan at [email protected]