Trail Work

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bearded Trail Work Leaders

But but but Timmus's picture shows you with a beard!! Now I've got learn how to attach links so I can show some pic's of NH Chapter trail work leaders. Do I need their permission to post? I don't know how to do yet anyway. I've got the free membership in Web Shots. I'll try figure it out before this thread gets to stale.

timmus said:
I don't mind at all, and yes, I would love to see my stuff in Backpacker Magazine :cool: Any contacts over there ?

The editor, Jon Dorn, is a member of this site.

AMC Outdoors Magazine & Timmus's comics

We're getting off topic here, so I'll keep it brief ... AMC Outdoors is "the official member magazine" for AMC. Could be another venue for getting your cartoons published. I don't know if they pay well or what. But it appears they've been upgrading their content over last few years and I think comics like yours would have trementous appeal. Here's link to AMC Outdoors on AMC website.

http://www.outdoors.org/publications/outdoors/index.cfm

does the trail work May 6th at Cardigan Lodge affect anyone who was originally planning to hike Cardigan that day? Think we're going up Holt/Cathedral Forest/Clark and down Manning that day. Anyone know if there is still snow up there right now? Or muddy?

Cardigan Trail Work May 6

Although I haven't signed us up yet I and my family plan to be participating in Cardigan Trail Work on May 6. NH AMC doesn't do much on Holt Trail. Mostly ledge so not much to maintain. They'd rather people didn't use the thing. But if we see you on the appropaching trails we'll make sure to make you feel extra guilty for not pitching in. :D

Mid Hudson Valleey / Poughkeepsie, NY Area Trails Day Event

One of the many Trails Day events will located on the AT just south of the intersection of Long Hill Road, it is located between Fahnestock Park and the RPH Cabin.

The official plan is that you need to meet at the EMS store on Rte 9, by 9am-930am. Carpooling will be suggested to ride out to the parking area on Long Hill Road where the AT crosses it.

Planned work is for some steps and waterbars in an area that is getting some nasty erosion. The work area is less then a half a mile from the road, so no worries about having to travel far into the woods, work will be concentrated in the one general area.

If you are interested, contact Tim Messerich at the EMS store in Poughkeepsie, 845-463-3207 and let him know you plan to come along! Bring gloves, shovels, pry pars, gloves, water and snacks; lunch is provided, and you may want to toss in some bug spray as well.

This is also the lead up project to our big work weekend/hiker feed on July 7-8-9, 2006, details to follow soon!

Catch you on the trail!
Kevin

Another trail maintenance group that should be mentioned is Friends of Acadia. To learn more about their events and opportunities with helping maintain Acadia's gorgeous trails please visit here: http://www.friendsofacadia.org/

Arm,

Thanks for keeping this all updated. I've moved this to Trips and Events as you suggested.

Now get out there and do trailwork! :D

-dave-

I am the trail adopter for the lower section of the Greenleaf Trail and have been maintaining the trail for the past 8 years. I used to do from the road to Lafayette Summit but it got to be too much. There are some spots that need new water bars in the lower section. I could use some help with that and am planning on doing them this fall. If anyone is interested in helping let me know and I'll keep you informed. I'll also be doing more drainage cleaning and blazing this season.

Thanks for posting the latest list!!

You just helped me identify another weekend at a place my family thinks is hugely special .... Cold River Camp! We're already going to Cardigan for trail work in May so this will make two weekends in the mountains in May for us.

Adopt a trail

A great way to donate your time to trailwork is to become an adopter. The AMC has lots of trails that are unadopted. The pro crews/large work parties (the ones listed on most of the links), etc. do the "heavy lifting", while volunteer adopters take care of "routine maintenance (brushing, blazing, water bars).

Double Bow and I adopted the Lower Castle Trail on behalf of the AMC New Hampshire Young Members' Group last year, and its been great. The AMC even provides tools (sign in/out basis), plus free meals/lodging.

PM me to get the volunteer coordinator's contact info.

Here is a radical idea, but Arm or moderators, please delete if inappropriate.

How about everyone who hikes a trail add a note to this thread detailing anything on the trail that needs work, such as a plugged water bar, downed tree, too many branches in the face, etc., providing trail name and approximate location, and then the next person interested in doing some work on that trail can bring the appropriate instrument (trenching tool, saw, snippers, etc.) to take care of the problem, and then report back to the thread?

My guess is that even volunteer trail maintainers would not mind the extra help, or might even be inclined to take care of problems sooner if made aware.

I hear you Doc, but there is a time and a place for everything.

The NYS DEC actually discourages 'amateur' trail maintaining. It's fine to post trail conditions on this site, and the 'trail conditions' section of this site encourages this, but becoming the 'lone maintainer' may be frowned upon.

Tom Rankin said:
I hear you Doc, but there is a time and a place for everything.

The NYS DEC actually discourages 'amateur' trail maintaining. It's fine to post trail conditions on this site, and the 'trail conditions' section of this site encourages this, but becoming the 'lone maintainer' may be frowned upon.

they have similar practices in NH. I'll admit I carry a saw "just in case", but the idea of posting water bar plugging, and that sort of thing is kind of overkill.

I still reccomend that if you are interested in trail maintaining, I HIGHLY reccomend becoming a volunteer adopter. Email me for the contact information for the AMC in the Whites. I also think that all adopters should put their trail in their signature, that way the PROPER people will be contacted.

Its the trailwork equvalent of "think globally, act locally". Its also much more effective to track your one trail than it is to worry about trolling through forum threads looking for work. When all of the trails out there are being maintained by competant adoptors, the trails will usually (response time isn't instantaneous) be in good condition everywhere.

I didn't see this in arm's links, so thought I'd mention it. There is an AMC basic trail maintenance skills session on Saturday at Pinkham Notch. I believe it's free for trail adopters, $30 otherwise. It looks like it hasn't filled up yet, or they just haven't updated the website. (link)