We had to put Genie down today

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Losing a member of your family suddenly like this must be very difficult, my condolences. I've had a total of 3 mutts my entire life and they've all been old age. Actually the current 3rd mutt is 16 1/2 now and we may need to make a decision there soon, but we've had the convenience, if you will, of getting more used to the idea, not that it will be easy.

Condolences

In my life I've put 2 old dogs down and lost another to a horrible mishap.

Like Mr. Bojangles, after many years I still grieve.

They are as much a part of us as our human family. I am glad we got to meet Genie if only for a brief visit.

If there is an afterlife then we will surely be reunited with our beloved furry friends there.

God Bless and Godspeed, Genie.

I gotta' stop now. I'm crying.

KDT

Audrey and Pat,

We are so sorry to hear of this. Genie will be missed by all.

John & June

I never met Genie, but looking at the pictures and reading the posts, she must have been one heck of a dog.

And one heck of a lucky dog.

Deepest sympathies.

I have never met you, but I wanted to say how sorry I am. I rescued my dog 8 yrs ago and that dog is everything to me. You must find solice in the fact that you loved your dog and she loved you right back, there are not words to cover such a loss, so instead ,Ill hope your heart heals in short time.

Pat and Audrey,

I'm so sorry to hear that Genie is no longer with us. You will
be in my prayers tonight.

My sincerest condolences,

Ridgewalker

Pat and Audrey. Dogs are the greatest friend a person could have. We had to put our last dog down and we know how deep your loss feels. Our sympathies.

Genie was a wonderful dog who was loved by many, many, many people. I am honored to have known her and to have hiked with her.

Audrey & Pat - I am so sorry for your loss. I was absolutely stunned with the news this morning. I can't imagine the hole that now exists in your life. The stories you have of this wonderful dog will help to keep her close to your hearts and to keep her memory alive.

Photos will do that as well. I have put together a photo tribute of Genie which can be found here: http://krisebbesonsphotojournals.shutterfly.com/genierip

Genie, the Wonder Dog - RIP!

Little Bear

Pat and Audrey,

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. Genie was more than a dog; she was your family. Having had to make the same decision once before myself, I know how utterly hard and painful it can be. Forgive yourselves. Genie already has. My sincere condolences.

Roxi

Please allow an addition to the condolences. We love our three-year-old yellow Lab, Henry, and have been introducing him to the trails. We'll remember Genie on our next doggy hike and toast your good stewardship. I hope she lives long and young in your memory. --Mike.

Audrey and Pat, so sorry to hear the news. My thoughts are with you both right now!
Stu

Spent a few moments today on PatN reflecting on Genie, and Ray....God bless those who have touched our hearts, shared our tears and our laughter, known us for who we are, shared with us the love and joy of the beautiful outdoors, and who are sadly no longer with us today.

Life truly is a beautiful gift. Our community is smaller by one today but here's hoping it can grow in the understanding that comes from coming together to help those who are in need of support.

Hope today the hurt is a little less, though I know it will be some time.

My deepest sympathies for you. Dogs show us love without condition and teach us how to live in the present moment to the fullest extent. When they leave us they don't take these things with them, but they are not so immediate anymore. It is our capability as humans, however, to remember.

A good trail dog is one of the best kinds of dog of all. I hope Genie is already hiking the mountains of paradise.

Dear Audrey and Pat,

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. My best friend is also a Lab - Abby. I learned about Lepto yesterday, but didn't realize it could be so serious.

My best thoughts go out to you.

Hanna

Spent a few moments today on PatN reflecting on Genie, and Ray....God bless those who have touched our hearts, shared our tears and our laughter, known us for who we are, shared with us the love and joy of the beautiful outdoors, and who are sadly no longer with us today.

Life truly is a beautiful gift. Our community is smaller by one today but here's hoping it can grow in the understanding that comes from coming together to help those who are in need of support.

Hope today the hurt is a little less, though I know it will be some time.

My deepest condolences as well.......Genie had a great life with you two taking care of her. I believe Genie was thinking along those lines in her last moments.

Sabrina's words are just perfect so I'm just including her comment here as well.

Hugs, Mats

Gratitude

Thank you all again for your kind messages. We spent the weekend up north hiking and hugging our friends' dogs. I think they are a bit balder from all the petting, though Labs have plenty of fur to spare.

Though we were sort of crashing when we returned home, Pat discovered a baby robin in the tomato garden that was thrashing around and having trouble getting off the ground. He waited nearby until the little thing got airborne. Then a hummingbird flew nearby...all signs from Genie.

We've contacted the breeder, and our November potluck may just have a new little guest for you all to meet.

Love to all.

--Pat and Audrey

While we were hiking through the bog near Mt. Jackson I told my hiking partners that while hiking through there with a big group once, I remember a dog jumping into the bog and getting covered head to toe with mud. Then I realized that was Genie! So, I did get a chance to hike with her.

Sorry to hear about her passing...

-Dr. Wu

Last edited:
Saying goodbye

Dear Audrey,
I don't know you and Genie, but I am so very sorry that you had to put Genie "to sleep". The hardest decision I ever had to make was putting my 16
year old sheepdog down.I kept cancelling after making the appointment.I loved her very much, as you did Genie.
Genie has gone over the Rainbow Bridge and you see her again someday.

Julie
Mountain49

Oh Man...

I don't frequent VFTT as much as I used to, so I just got this.
I am sorry to hear.