Winter Record Attempt 12/22 - 12/31

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got this update from Mats:

"After coming down from a 17 miles traverse with 6 peaks. The last one number 41, 7 to go...I had to cover 46 miles in 28 hours to break the record.. Part of that was finding a route to Mt. Isolation in the dark and snowy conditions. It was just not possible to break the record and I didnt want to put myself and myself in danger by trying to go for it. Many thanks for everyone for the support during this adventure. Feels so good to sit by the fireplace now... Stay tuned for more later... Mats Roing"

Thanks Mats. It was a fun ride while it lasted. Thanks for letting us all be a part of it.

Jason Berard said:
I think what you've done is amazing given the weather obstacles you had to contend with. Way to go Mats! Can't wait to hear what is next!!!!
Agreed whole heartedly. You gave it the most valliant of efforts, and now that the dream has fallen from hope for now you still remain content with your achievments so far. Congrats and I await to hear your attempts for a run again next year ;) .

Brian

I'm sorry to hear that it didn't work out this time, Mats. You gave an excellent effort...but the Snow Meiser gave a better one. (I can't say I'm sorry about that, though ;) )
-vegematic

NewHampshire said:
Agreed whole heartedly. You gave it the most valliant of efforts, and now that the dream has fallen from hope for now you still remain content with your achievments so far. Congrats and I await to hear your attempts for a run again next year ;) .

Brian

It's almost next year :p

There should be no shame in a safe decision after an already fantastic accomplishment.

Considering the stories we can each tell after bagging one peak, I can't wait to hear Mats' tale of the past week+

Congrats on a great week of hiking!!!

At least you've made a good dent on the winter NH4K list. ;)

Been fun following your adventure, Mats. I'm looking forward to the trip report.

A great effort by you and the teeming well-wishers.

Great effort Mats, you were going strong, just got dealt a bad weather hand.

Good luck next time.

Nice to meet you in person on Moosilauke

Last edited:
Pleasure to meet you briefly out at the Hancocks Mats! Mother nature doesn't always follow our plan but this will always be an adventure to remember. Even at her worst and seeing your chances at breaking the record get less likely you no doubt saw some glorious days in the woods!

Way to go Mats!

Despite not reaching your goal on this attempt, there is no doubt in my mind that one day you will achieve what most of the rest of us could only dream of. The easy part is over, the hard part will be returning to the grind after such an awesome adventure.

KDT

Mats, a valiant effort. Winter has just begun, more opportunities will follow, and focus awaits your triumphant return with fanfare.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jason Berard said:
hey Mats, I'm curious....were you able to adapt the Kahtoola Flight deck binding to skis....and if so, did you find it helpful?
thanks!

Hi Jason,

Unfortunately delivery of an aluminium plate to pull it off got delayed and I never used skis on any of the peaks. I dragged a sled from the trailhead to the summit of Cabot though and I think I saved some time on that. It's a bit dangerous though since those sleds are fast and you don't want to end up with a concussion hitting a tree......I think skis are useful on moderate downhills. Carrigain and Moosilauke are prime targets for hauling skis up.

Mats

Thanks again everyone for your support during this adventure :)

Marc Howes, Nif, Dr. D., NH_Mtn_Hiker, Frodo, Abster, Cruddy Toes, Annalisa, Giggy, 7Summits, Chomp, Farmer, Hamtero, NeighborDave, Chickety, Skimom, Arm, DaveBear, Youngblood and the Littleton Landsharks (Melanie, Rachel and David Stiles who met with pizza and coffee after Moriah), Tom and Atticus, Swamp, Gillian, Double Bow, Mtnpa and Mtnmama deserve some extra credit for this team effort. It was also great to have trail time with Cath Goodwin, MEB, Drewski, Tim Seaver, Melanie and a few others. SherpaKroto worked hard at the grill at the Mountainhouse also! HotDonna helped with recovery after the thing was over with as well. I hope I didn't forget anyone....I probably did and apologies for that.....like those three unknown hikers who packed Carrigain. I hope at least it gave some entertainment to the vftt-viewers :D

Hope to see you all on the trail again soon!

Photos and a full story in a few days I hope.....still recovering from getting sick on the last day.....

Cheers, Mats

Mats Roing said:
....still recovering from getting sick on the last day.....
With this being the most snow recorded in December in Concord in 130 years it obviously wasn't a good time for record-breaking

One question: thousands of people finish the Boston Marathon even though most are not "winners" and often nobody breaks a record, if you hadn't got sick would you have done the other 7 peaks even if it took an extra day or two - you would still have been in the top 5 :)

RoySwkr said:
One question: thousands of people finish the Boston Marathon even though most are not "winners" and often nobody breaks a record, if you hadn't got sick would you have done the other 7 peaks even if it took an extra day or two - you would still have been in the top 5 :)

If the motivation was there the next morning together with a healthy body I probably would have gone for the third place on the list, but both of those elements were missing Monday morning. Also.....it was kind of nice to sit in front of the fireplace with a thermos of tea watching the snow falling outside... ;)