A Tricky Scenario

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Start with something easy and spectacular on a nice day.

eg. Welch and Dickey or Mt Willard (maybe Mt Avalon if they are in good shape). No 4Ks.

Use bait to set the hook... You will only reel them in if they want to be caught.

Doug

Three that I've used with success in similar situations.

Nartreb's Zealand suggestion is excellent. The trail is flat but lovely, and the hut and falls make a wonderful destination and a great stop for lunch and lounging.

Willard is on everyone's list. It's a short and easy climb, and the view is guaranteed to knock sox off.

My actual favorite is Nancy-Norcross. You can walk in to the falls, or part way up, and call it a day, or you can make the steep but short climb and wander over to the outlet at Norcross for a perfect picnic on the rocks.

My suggestions

I know what you are working with. Quickly here are some suggestions:

1. South Moat - good views, not too much to tackle.
2. Tuckerman Ravine trail JUST to the Hermit Shelter (2.5 miles one way, about 1800' elevation gain) - views are both up and down. Go up into the ravine a ways if all is well and your friends are energetic.
3. Crawford Notch - Mt Willard - best views for least effort.
4. How about Wildcat-D with a gondola ride down? (tougher trails though)
5. Arethusa Falls (especially if visibility is down)
6. Diana's Baths (also if foggy etc.)

Good luck to you all ... :D TrekMan

I feel like I've learned a great deal over the years on how to help friends develop an addiction to the outdoors/hiking. Toe Cozy has some awesome points that I'll emphasize even further.

• Add a non-outdoorsy activity before or after the hike. A great restaurant with character after a hike is phenominal for a newbie. I'll often use a theme of a "burger and beer" and say that a couple of times while hiking to get them excited (suggestions: Common Man (upstairs pub) in Ashland, Flatbread in North Conway, Woodstock Inn in Woodstock)
  • Make sure there is either one HUGE reward (i.e. spectacular summit) or several GREAT rewards (i.e. good views AND a waterfall) involved on the hike
  • Let them lead on the hike so that they are 100% in control of the hiking pace. Stop for brakes periodically even if you aren't tired or they want to keep going. For some reason, it seems natural for a lot of newbies to want to go nonstop to the summit/destination. Mandatory breaks are key!
  • Be totally willing to cancel the hike (or change destinations/activities) if the weather forecast isn't better than 'great'. I would suggest not hiking if the temperature is going to be over 80 degrees under any circumstances with new people.
  • Carry some or most of the gear they will need. If I'm going with somebody for the first time and I really want them to have a great time, I carry everything for them except for maybe small Camelback filled with water.
  • Let them use a piece of equipment they have never used before. Some great ideas are a Camelback backpack, Stabilicers, trekking poles, etc.
  • Surprise them with great snacks. I use Gatorade, Gushers, Gummi Worms, Pringles, Fruit they probably haven't had in a while, Girl Scout Cookies, Fruit Leather, Trail Mix
  • Do not go when it is buggy. I feel that our tolerance for coping with bugs grows as we crave more and more hiking. All it takes is a 2 or 3 bites and the rest of hike (no matter how spectacular) won't matter to this new person.
  • Have a picnic/cookout after the hike at one of the dozen picnic areas near where you will be hiking.
  • Keep a cooler with a couple of alcoholic beverages in your car for after the hike. They may absolutely love an ice cold beer after a hike, especially if it is warm or hot out. I recently saw somebody pull out a "Long Trail" beer after a long hike and everyone who had one of these was ecstatic about it.
  • Consider taking several new people all at one time. If you are all friends, you will bond like never before and they will feel more comfortable with this new activity because other people haven't done it as well.

Also, I feel like there are certain times when it's absolutely hopeless and there is no way certain people will ever enjoy hiking. If a person doesn't usually enjoy any form of exercise (i.e. even walking to a store) or they get uncomfortable extremely easily (by sweat, being hungry, being thirsty, being tired) it's unlikely they will like hiking, especially in the White Mountains.

roadtripper said:
  • Keep a cooler with a couple of alcoholic beverages in your car for after the hike. They may absolutely love an ice cold beer after a hike, especially if it is warm or hot out. I recently saw somebody pull out a "Long Trail" beer after a long hike and everyone who had one of these was ecstatic about it.

This works well with winter hikes too - you just do not have to buy any ice! :D

Boott Spur Trail ONLY up to the first spur path overlooking Tuckerman Ravine.

1-- Point out that few people take that trail, almost everyone takes TR trail. It'll appeal to their sense of doing something different from the crowd.

2-- Tease them with those views of Washington and the ravine. Don't go higher. Leave 'em wanting more. If you're in the mood to tease your friends, point up to Washington and say something like, "I'm not sure you're ready for that yet." That'll set the hook.

With novices I prefer to test run gear and stamina on easy hikes, even as simple as Blue Hill, Wachusett and then Monadnock. Then, work up to 4000 footers and the like. A 4000 footer without a view, even as easy as Hale ... well, save it for when you introduce them to winter hiking. ;)

A few years ago a friend brought his comparatively new girlfiend, physically fit but a hiking novice with a bit of vertigo, on a trip that included Katahdin's Knife Edge. They stuck it out together and on the way down I mentioned to Jim, "If she even talks to you after this trip, she's a keeper." A year later they were married and their vows referenced this hike as a metaphor for the courage, trust and endurance they'd need together going forward in their lives.

Stan said:
With novices I prefer to test run gear and stamina on easy hikes, even as simple as Blue Hill, Wachusett and then Monadnock. Then, work up to 4000 footers and the like. A 4000 footer without a view, even as easy as Hale ... well, save it for when you introduce them to winter hiking. ;)
This comment triggers another thought--remember that this hike is for them. Don't choose a hike because it is on some list or because you want to do it--choose something that you think they will enjoy and is appropriate for them.

Case in point: My family sometimes vacations at a place on the edge of the DAKs which offers led hikes. One year I took a look at the list of hikes offered--they were all trailless 4K peaks in the DAKs. Clearly the leader was a peak bagger using the guests as an excuse to work on his list. Not very appropriate, IMO. (A selection including some of the above might have been ok, but not all.)

Doug

Last edited:
I have 3 experience that I would like to share with you.

The first experience was my first hike and also my best friend Betty's. We both like outdoor but never summited any mountain. One beautiful Saturday morning we drove up to Franconia notch and pick a mountain to hike. We're lucky that the mountain we happened to pick was Mt Pemigewasetts which afford great view at the summit. That really made a hugh different to us, Betty and I both started to hike more regularly after that. Until one day I fooled her into hiking Cannon Mtn :( and she stopped hiking in the Whites with me ever since... We still hike Blue Hills together with other friends.

The other experience I had was with another friend who was less enthusiastic about outdoor activities. I took her to Cascade Path in Waterville Valley. My goal for her was not to summit anything, just to get her to enjoy the nature. The Cascade Path is a beautiful hike, short and easy walk with couple of nice cascades along the trail made perfect rest stops. We had great time... But I failed to get her to like hiking. (So what :rolleyes: )

The last one was quite recently, I took another friend and his dog up to Mt Chocorua. I picked this mountain based on what I learnt from my previous experience: Beautiful points of interest along the trail (Chimney Fall in this case) so that we could take a break to enjoy the nature and catch our breath; and great views at the summit to reward our hard work. It works out very well for all of us. Now he would call me to go hiking with him. We did Mt Cardigan last month, which is another super easy hike with awesome awesome views.

I think it was an effective plan because I broke down the hike into 2 destinations. First destination was the Chimney Fall and the picked up the trail again to our second goal of the day. Mentally it made the hike shorter and more enjoyable.

:) Have fun no matter what!

I have seen this before...

In one form or another. My opinion is that hikers and more importantly backpackers, are not to be made they are just born that way.

That stated- you can introduce someone to the fine art of hiking and even backpacking but you must observe the following...

Don't expect that newbies will be able to hike as fast or as far as you , the experienced and motivated hiker, can hike. Center the outing to their level, not your own. Be tuned in to what is going on with your less experienced friends and be prepared to alter your itinerary.

Take them out in mild weather conditions

Don't let then carry alot of weight

make the destination a really nice spot- preferrable with a handy lake or pond for a swim

Surprise them with some kind of a "treat" at the end of the day (overnighter) or at lunch (dayhike)

Don't make them commit to a huge investment in time or energy. Start with a great dayhike, then an overnighter.

never grouse at how slow they are going

Stop sooner then you planned, it need be. it's truely the journey and not the destination.

the carrot, my man, never the stick. Example; "wow, you guys are doing really great today" and not "man, I could have hiked this trail in like 15 minutes".

When hiking with newbies it is never a good idea to exercise bragging rights- save that for your experienced buddies. New hikers never want to hear about your 20 mile super hikes up Mount Washington when they are struggling up Mt Jo. from the Loj. Talk about your first modest hikes. If you never had modest hikes, then say nothing.

It's like golf, finish strong and keep harping on the good stuff.

Hopefully, you won't remember that time you smashed your knee and almost kivvied over on that steep stretch. Instead, you'll remember the first views, the cool breeze on top, and the great swimming hole at the bottom where you could cool off.

roadtripper said:
  • Let them lead on the hike so that they are 100% in control of the hiking pace. Stop for brakes periodically even if you aren't tired or they want to keep going. For some reason, it seems natural for a lot of newbies to want to go nonstop to the summit/destination. Mandatory breaks are key!
    QUOTE]

I think Roadtripper's quote above is the most important thing, along with all the other good advice.

I think having a trip planned that had a relatively easy partial objective, like a nice outlook or smaller summit a few miles from the trailhead, would be great, with the option of adding on if they wanted. I'd say in advance, that our goal was the first objective, and leave adding on very much optional and up in the air, so that if that's all you did, it would be fine (i.e. not a failure).

But again, the hardest thing for me in this situation is letting the other person lead. Doing this with kids for years, I never ceased to be amazed at how much more energy and stamina the kids had when they were up front, versus when they were behind me. It was amazing!! One down side is that they could go out too fast and tire. But even then, I think it's better to slow down in the back and control the pace that way rather than from up front.

Good luck!

Lovetohike said:
It was amazing!! One down side is that they could go out too fast and tire. But even then, I think it's better to slow down in the back and control the pace that way rather than from up front.
I lead hikes a lot for the Catskills and I usually lead from the middle. I'm a fairly fast hiker if left to myself, so I try to discipline myself to NOT take the lead when I lead hikes! :rolleyes: I also appoint a sweeper to bring up the rear, so we are not leaving stragglers behind.

I will give direction to those in front not to get too far ahead, (e.g. 'wait at the next junction', or 'wait if you can't see/hear us anymore'), but I will let them go on ahead if they really want to. After a while, most learn that this is a *GROUP* hike and that dashing ahead doesn't really help, and the pace moderates.

Bottom line:

Emphasize this is a group hike. We all stay together, for better or for worse, and work together.

roadtripper said:
Let them lead on the hike so that they are 100% in control of the hiking pace. Stop for brakes periodically even if you aren't tired or they want to keep going. For some reason, it seems natural for a lot of newbies to want to go nonstop to the summit/destination. Mandatory breaks are key!
It is easy to let the slowest person set the pace when you lead from the front. (Easier if you have a sweep.) All you do have to do is stay within a fixed distance of the last person and not let anyone get ahead of you. (If the distance is not too great, no one will feel pushed to keep up.) The slowest may not even realize that he is setting the pace.

Leading an inexperienced group is easiest if you have and experienced helper. One of you stays on point, the other on sweep and you keep everyone else in between you. The slowest/weakest/ones with problems will tend to graviate toward the sweep. (Many leaders will lead from the rear so they can keep an eye on them.)

And if you stop for a rest, don't start the "rest clock" until the slowest arrives. (A classic behavior is for the fast ones to wait and then run off as soon as the slowest appears. The net effect is that the slowest (who usually needs the rest more than anyone else) gets no rest.)

If you are pacing a single beginner (from being in front of him), you can listen to his breathing to hear how hard he is working. Done properly, one can set a good pace for a beginner this way.

Doug

DougPaul said:
And if you stop for a rest, don't start the "rest clock" until the slowest arrives. (A classic behavior is for the fast ones to wait and then run off as soon as the slowest appears. The net effect is that the slowest (who usually needs the rest more than anyone else) gets no rest.)

Doug

Excellent, excellent point.

teejay

DougPaul said:

Doug

OH how true! Thirty years ago I was the last and slowest of four hiking up a Catskill mountain in the dark carrying way too much ( a four man tent, heavy bag, etc) and every time I caught up, everyone else took off. Made me feel like crap. I've never forgotten that and always make sure the slowest person gets the break they need.

DougPaul said:
It is easy to let the slowest person set the pace when you lead from the front. (Easier if you have a sweep.) All you do have to do is stay within a fixed distance of the last person and not let anyone get ahead of you. (If the distance is not too great, no one will feel pushed to keep up.) The slowest may not even realize that he is setting the pace.

Doug - you must have far greater patience, concentration and discipline that I do. If I am ever leading a slower party, I inevitably zone out and take off like a jack rabbit, much to the party's frustration. This is much more the case on the uphills, as I am a bit cautious when descending.

Based on this, I always opt for following a slow hiker. I get into their rhythm and the hike goes fine.

Marty

marty said:
Doug - you must have far greater patience, concentration and discipline that I do. If I am ever leading a slower party, I inevitably zone out and take off like a jack rabbit, much to the party's frustration. This is much more the case on the uphills, as I am a bit cautious when descending.
Nah--I've just spent a lot of time hiking with slower friends...

I've frequently done the fixed distance from the sweep (I'm on point, the leader is on sweep) in organized groups. The leader knows that I'm not going to run away and together we can keep the group close enough that he can watch us all and can stop us with a shout if necessary. And if someone in the back needs help, all party memebers are readily available.

Based on this, I always opt for following a slow hiker. I get into their rhythm and the hike goes fine.
This works too. One should choose whatever strategy works in the current context.

There are situations where some beginners hike fast, become tired, and then need long rests. If you set "their" pace from in front, you can often keep them on a steady sustainable pace which is usually better than the boom and bust approach. (Tortise vs the Hare.) It also can help them relax and enjoy themselves because they never feel that they are being left behind.

Doug