Bearly Live 2008

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

Reaction score
I had a great time at this event. We had scripture readings from SherpaK and hymms by FunkyFreddy and Cromo. The celery juice tasted great and the square dance was amazing. I can't wait for 2009. I promise not to misbehave or fall asleep.

Amazing party, great people and an excellent host. Jean, Nat and I hiked the Baldfaces and ran into UFC, Juniper and their friend. Metzky and company, I found out that evening, were an hour behind us on the loop. Never ate so many blueberries in my whole life.

I have a vague recollection of a tall guy with a Swedish accent around who there was a continuous buzz of fun.

Mmmm....and the flute improvisation recorded on the tree microphones sounded great in raw sound streaming mode today at the cabin.

Fun time! It was great to see so many familiar faces and make some new friends as well. :)

Hiking, bushwacking, kayaking, dancing, cheese puff tossing, eating, drinking, laughing, smiling, camping -- it just goes on and on... :) big thumbs up to SherpaK for hosting :) , the bands were all sounding awesome and what a great treat for us all to enjoy our own little private music festival!

BBFF!

Last edited:
Can you gimme woo-hoo? CAN YOU GIMME WOO-HOO!?!?!

Thanks, SK, for everything! Wow, what an amazing time, swimming, kayaking, live music, drinking, and I even tacked another 'whack onto my NEHH. It just doesn't get any better. Great to see everyone, and can't wait to see the pics!

MichaelJ said:
can't wait to see the pics!
I don't think you want to see ALL of them, particularly the ones that were taken after you left. ;) Great times. Many thanks SherpaK!

leaf said:
I don't think you want to see ALL of them, particularly the ones that were taken after you left.

Of course I do, since they clearly can't be *of* me!

Tall & Swedish

Neil, are you referring to the one wearing glasses & drinking lots of Heineken from a portable keg?

How fast can a weekend fly by?

This year the dude with the Swedish accent was actually able to locate the location of the event :D

There were a fair amount of pre-parties going on around the campground and during the afternoon and evening there was a steady flow of people migrating towards the main stage area by SK's house. Great music were played and the discoball had to go up quickly. Ashley (Gris's daughter) helped me locate a ladder and a figured out a good tree between the house and the stage. Up it went but a few minutes later the whole branch on which it sat came crashing down missing a very valuable guitar by two feet or so.....and more importantly there was no "death by discoball" having to be reported from BL 2008. Another tree closer to the stage was selected and this time it stayed up through Sunday :)

Mtmama among many others made sure thee were no hungry hikers in a 10-mile radius. A lot of familiar and new faces were there and most of the evening was spent socializing and listen to some great bands.....portapotties were arranged for this year and the two were designated "Women" and "Ladies"....hmmmm.....the evening was wicked good :)

The big discussion regarding hiking was whether to go to Old Speck or Baldfaces.....I ended up with a 10-person group heading for Old Speck. Dr Wu, Giggy, MEB, Little Sister, Gillian, 7Summits, Mountaingirl, DaveBear, JayH and myself met up at the TH and spent about 20 minutes talking about Birmingham Bootie Calls and other hiking related matters before heading up the Eyebrow Trail. Some interesting fixed handholds and steel wires were set up to aid the steep sections. Great views, warm weather and high humidity made us sweat a lot....enjoyed the views from the top of the ledges before we came to the intersection at 2,500 feet where the AT joins in. DaveBear had carved his initials and time stamp on a mushroom here......11:30 DB it said......this gives a hint of how late we started :rolleyes:

Moved on up with lenghty breaks and discussions which were interesting to say the least......eventually we made it to the summit and the tower. most of us went up the ladder...someone also skipped the ladder tand scaled the outside all the way up.......

We snacked took pictures of various kind before heading back down and dipped in a creek before coming back to the parkinglot around 5-ish. After buying roadside pies we bought some more food and back to campground were more pre-parties were going on.....and on to BL and loads of fun including dancing, pie-eating, seeing how many people SK's beachbeds could hold...... :D Wicked wicked fun.......used a brush to keep the discoball going and laser pointers to make it more dramatic.....it was very late before heading back to the tents and a few hours of sleep before the sun came up again......30-40 of us went to thei breakfast place......had some dancing to Billie Jean (M. Jackson song) in the parking lot before invading the restaurant......back to Sk and relaxing with different types of watersport for the rest of the day.

For some reason I didn't take a lot of photos.....it was too much fun to have time to document this fantastic event.....someone else will have to tell more about the music performed..........Thanks SherpaKroto and everyone who made this thing happen!

bigmoose said:
Marc, did you eyeball the amps? Any of 'em go to eleven?

I actually did inquire if the amps went to eleven. Sherpa told me they go to twelve.

I honestly don't see why they can't just make 10 louder and make that the highest setting.. seems silly to me.

Sherp - best one yet by far - and the other 2 were damn good. :D Both Deb and I had an absolute blast.

It was nice seeing everyone I haven't seen in a while - esp the NY/NJ and canadian posse's I don't see all that much - neil, jayh, etc.. I think neil would have fit in on the old speck hike pretty good. :) :D Nice seeing darren back at the events,etc..

really sherp - you really outdid yourself this year. I hope this tradition continues for the next 20 years. Thanks to you, elle and eveyone else that put in hours of time to make this event happen, playing, practicing, setting up, cleaning, etc..

sucks to be back at work - we need to make these week long events.

Last edited:
I had a blast in the Whites for a week (despite the rain) and a fun time at the party. I love being the fly on the wall, I have a lot of things to blackmail people and the bands were great. I actually stayed up more on friday then saturday as I kind of went back on saturday to grab a warmer mid-layer and somehow wound up in my tent, sleeping. But I could hear Chroma from the campground and a very interested jam going on. Old Speck was an interesting hike, the firetower is the first I've seen with a completely open ladder that goes straight up! Good views of Sunday River, Mahoosic Notch and some distance peaks in the Pressi range. There was even a dime mushroom too. can't beat that.

Hiking with Dr Wu AND Giggy AND Mats is certainly very entertaining. ;) I've hiked with each of them by themselves but never together til now.....:eek: :D

I'd like to echo Giggy's thought that I don't see any of you nearly enough and in fact, was wonderful to see Sherpa and Darren and a bunch of you that I don't get around. But since I am hoping to finish my NH48 by next summer, maybe I will be seeing you guys more. I am halfway there now that I did 10 NH peaks and 1 ME peak this past week. I am still friggin miffed by the crappy weather, and not being able to do the Franconia Range or the Bonds in style so they will wait for a sunny day.

Kudos to SherpaKroto and gang and all the bands and all the volunteers who made this happen, you guys truly rock!

Jay

Wicked awesome weekend! My cheeks are still sore from laughing so much the past few days. Fun time hiking on Saturday and dancing Saturday night....and the music this year was the best ever...you guys ROCK!

Many thanks to Sherpa and Elle for hosting such a wonderful weekend.

-MEB

New Englanders

Great to see the New England/VFTT clan. My last gathering was the one in Vermont - and a rather tame affair that one was.

It's like I have two separate lives and personalities: my very serious, dry and humorless Adirondack life and then when I need to cut loose I get in the car and sneak into New England under the cover of darkness.

The Baldfaces btw were absolutely stunning.

First off I want to thank Sherpa Kroto for putting this event on. I realize that there are a number of people helping without whom the event wouldn't have run smoothly or not run at all. But SherpaK is the main man and I feel like I owe him a debt of appreciation that enabled me (and all of us) to have such an incredible weekend. Hopefully SK is enjoying himself in the Great Gulf today but I want to say, thanks Sherpa, thanks for all the hard work that most of us probably don't realize you did and probably take for granted when we're having so much fun!

Second, what a great weekend: I've never been so hoarse in my life from laughing so hard! The music was great, the atmosphere was fantastic, weather beautiful, the hike on Saturday amazing but the best part of all was seeing all of you! That's what I love about this crowd -- nice, chilled people, full of fun and laughter and willing to believe the grossest of rumors ;) I saw a lot of old friends that I haven't seen in years, met some new people, and partied with everyone. I had such a great time. Thanks Mats for being such a willing "participant" in some pretty strange pictures, thanks Davebear for taking 5 or 6 years off my life climbing the outside of that firetower, and especially thanks to MEB, Giggy and Deb for being the best camp buddies ever.

Good to see you all. Can't wait till next year although I'm looking forward to hiking and partying with a lot of you guys before then.

-Dr. Wu

Thanks Sherpa!!`

I have to ditto every bit of thanks that everyone has posted so far!!

It was my first "Bearly Live" and my voice is hoarse after all the laughter and fun times we had.. The music was top notch, you all sounded great!!

Thanks for all the Bands and extras that did all the behind the scene work and pre-set up and clean up! Mostly Thanks to Sherpa & your wife for having all of us crazy VFTT people at your beautifull place on the Lake!! Wish it could of been a longer visit! The grill was always cooking and food being passed out.yummm

I had a bunch of fun people at my site, Stevo, Hui Yeng, JayH and many visitors.... :D Great to have Darren & Carmel as neighbors and meeting them for the first time along with lots of other new faces for me. Gillian, Dani, Dave Metsky, and other neighbors. Nice to meet Arm's Dad visiting from Florida.

Puzzle Mountain was a great hike with sweet views, Jeff and I hiked and met a few others on the way. So many Blueberries that even Marchowes couldn't pick them all before we got up there. Doug Paul, nice to see you hiking again!

Leaf, Jeff and I continued over to the Kanc on Sunday for some fun climbing, with Jeff sending me up this "easy" lead climb.....5.10a (later we find out). Crappy drive home with rain & traffic but so worth it!

I took very few pics..was having just way too much fun! The ones I do have will be edited, as I seem to be in a lot of them....????

Thanks to everyone for all the fun & laughter!!!

Sherpa...what a fantastic event!!! Holy sh!t...Just incredible. It was an honor to jam with such a talented arrangement of individuals...and it made all those night practices in your basement well worthit. You're truely in your element out there...like the ringmaster under the big top. Tight enough to keep the beat, but loose enough to let it go when the jam dictates such. Thanks again.

I'm not much of a VFTT lurker, but it was great to meet many of you. You people are very cool! My sincere apologies to anyone who spoke to me after about 11:22 PM...although I'm sure it was interesting....I'm confident I was speaking in tongue. Somehow I was barreling around the lake in the tippiest-sinking-kayak-in-the world at 2:00AM...not sure how I didn't dump it. Finally some sleep around 3:00AM. Woke up early to the sound of intense laughter...no hangover...but why? Swam the lake for an early morning workout. Later I found the source of the laughter at Ed's place...coffee and pleasant conversation (many thank you's). Nice drive home to find my lads greeting me their kiddie guitars.

Sherpa - If you DON'T do this again next year, I will call the Oxford police, or even worse yet, the lady in the golf cart at the campground!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: arm