In the car again, to Carrigain for the finish

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby

Reaction score
It started on August 5, 1968, and I didn’t even know it. I was five years old, and my dad decided to climb Mt. Washington. He led my older sister and I to the summit on a summer day. I was hooked! He and I hiked different areas of the White Mountains over the years. We hit a few four thousand foot peaks together, unaware of any lists. He loved the outdoors, and he was pleased that I did too. When hiking became too much for him, we began to canoe. We took a few overnight canoe trips along the Saco River, spending what would later become known as “quality time” together. To us, it was just a father and son doing what we enjoyed.

When he died in 2002, I tried to think of ways honor him and thank him for the gift of the outdoors. By that time, my son Eric and I had already hiked a few 4K’s. We also did some non-peak hikes and like me, he enjoyed the mountains. I decided that completing the New Hampshire Four Thousand Foot list would be my memorial to him.

I was able to piece together the peaks I had already climbed with my dad and re-hiked them with Eric. As he got older, he got stronger and we got in some longer hikes. I joined VFTT in 2005. I met some awesome people, and began to hike with many different members of the site.

Fast forward to Mt. Carrigain. I planned for an eight o’clock start, but was running late and we didn’t get to the trailhead until 8:15. Along the way, Eric and I picked up Linda in Newburyport, and Tony and Steve in Portsmouth. We met up with Rols, LarryD, Peakbagger and Jason Berard at the Signal Ridge parking lot.

By 8:30 we were the trail. Everyone got across the first stream crossing safely, with the passing of hiking poles back and forth among the poled and the poleless. Eric went “boots-under” on the second crossing, but the rest of the group made it across OK. I was able to make the crossing without poles, because Eric had mine. In about an hour we were at the Signal Ridge – Carrigain Notch junction. Up until now, the grade was nice and easy. Then the uphill came!

Into a few long switchbacks, then what the White Mountain Guide calls “a mile long straight section line with birches.” I have renamed this section the “no smile mile.” It was a steady climb up. It wasn’t steep, but there was no break and only one viewpoint, overlooking Mt. Lowell and Mt. Anderson. There was no set order on the hike, we mixed and mingled and talked the whole way up. We had a humid day, and the bugs were out in force. Up and up, eventually breaking out onto Signal Ridge. There were nice views, just a little hazy. We took a short break, had a few snacks and got ready for the final half-mile to the summit. On our way up, we ran into Petch and Crazy Bob, who were on their way down. They managed to leave at the planned 8:00 AM start. I met the two of them on Mt. Madison last month. They were in a group with Bob, Geri and Dave Metsky.

Finally, we reached the summit. Forty-one years later, the list was complete. Handshakes were exchanged all around and I had a healthy swig of Sugar Maple Liqueur that Steve brought with him. Jason presented me with an AMC 4K patch, and a special label can of beer. I have heard of the views from the fire tower, but you have to be there to fully enjoy them. We had lunch, took pictures and hung out for a while.

To make the hike official, we still had to hike down. We got our packs on and began the five-mile trip out. As we descended Signal Ridge, we ran into KevinMac. He had to work in the morning, and started up the trail at 11:30. Kevin and I stopped to talk for a while, and then he continued up. I speed-hiked a bit and caught up with Eric. He was getting tired, carefully moving down the mountain. We went along at his pace. Time wasn’t a factor, because I had the car keys, so no one was leaving without us! Jason and Rols waited for us at a stream crossing. Jason yelled out “dunk your head in the stream!” I did just that, and for good measure I soaked my hat too. Ahhhh…..nice! The four of us continued along to the trail junction. The whole group met up here, and began the final 1.7 miles out. One last stream crossing and then out to Sawyer River Road – it was official!

I found a congratulatory note from Sapblatt on my truck – thanks Mike! Boots came off, smelly poly-pro shirts were exchanged for clean shirts, and beer bottles were opened. Is there anything better than an ice-cold post hike beer? Or in Eric’s case, Mountain Dew? At the conclusion of the hike, my green Red Sox hat was placed into semi-retirement. It has served me faithfully for several years. I have a few peaks it hasn’t been to, so when I return to Owl’s Head, Flume, Lincoln and Liberty, it will come out of retirement.

Eric, Tony, Linda, Steve and I stopped at the Smokehouse for dinner. The food was great, as always.

Eric and I got home a little after nine. My wife had a congratulatory cake on the kitchen table for me, and my mom sent an edible fruit bouquet.

Thanks to everyone who made the trip yesterday, and to those who offered well wishes. My route to finishing the forty-eight was long and winding, and in the end, so worth it. I have met so many good people and had great times along the way. I’m looking forward to many more years of hiking, and more importantly, spending time with friends.

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=0IZNnDNozasWOI&emid=sharshar&linkid=link3&cid=EMsharshar

Last edited:
Congrats Bobby, and a wonderful tribute to someone most important and influential in your life!

A HUGE congratulations to you, Bobby! I think it's great that you started at the age of 5, and with Mt. Washington. It's equally great that you got/get your son out there too.

Kudos!!

Way to go Bobby:D:D

I really wanted to be there for this one, so I could push you down the mountain again ;). Anyway, sounds like you had an awesome group and pretty decent weather to boot. The family celebration at the end sounded like a perfect ending to a great day :cool: Nothing says I love you better than cake and an edible fruit bouquet.

Looking forward to hiking with you in the years to come!

Best regards,
Marty (and Lauren)

CONGRATULATIONS! Bobby :D

I'm so happy for you aned your journey to your accomplishment. Glad to have been a part of it for the several climbs we've done.

Regards,

Ridgewalker

It was a great day. I'm glad I got to hike with your son. Besides the 48 you have another reason to be proud...Eric is a great kid. Love of the mountains passed from your Dad to you to Eric....that's pretty special.

Great job Bobby! So when do you start round 2?

Big time congrats, Bobby! I'm glad I made it to see you finish the list. It seems like the list was just a means to pay respect to your Dad, for what he had given you, and to maybe do the same with Eric. Pretty Cool! I greatly enjoyed this hike with a great group! And I'm looking forward to more.

Congratulations Bobby.

hooray! bobby, glad carrigain did not elude you this time. congratulations and I'm sure pops is smiling down on you and eric.

Sorry I couldn't make it for this hike, it sounds like it was celebrated in the most proper way. Although there's a lot of driving involved, take a look at the New England 67, well worth the trips.