Major Nor-easter for New England

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
giggy said:
once again the news (massachusetts media) has this hyped up to be the biggest snowstorm since 1978.

Well, that cinches it... flurries only. :rolleyes: No really, we'll get something, just not sure how much. Models are just that. Earlier this winter there was a bit of a pattern of models keying on a big storm, then losing it about 48 hrs out, then at the last minute keying in again. Who knows.

I think snowstorm fans and Red Sox fans are of the same ilk. (though the Sox didn't win a championship in '78... :mad: )

weatherman

I've read the internet weather postings - from what they're telling me, it's time to panic, I mean can you imagine 12 inches of snow? And next they're probably going to say "only drive if you have to" and let's not forget "dangerously cold windchills" (just when I was going to go out naked in the back yard, darn!) I do plan on going to stand in line at the supermarket and buy at least 50 rolls of toilet paper, just in case.
Of course we all know that this storm is really George Bushes fault, so blame him when you have to shovel.

I never understood the notion of why people freak out and buy tons of supplies before a storm. At most they will be in their house for 2 days.. Big deal, at least it's good for stores though. I hope the models come together tomorrow and shift. The Whites at least need a good 10 inches and it would be nice. -Mattl

Beer?

marty said:
My wife just called and told me that people are emptying out the stores in Eastern Massachusetts. I would suppose that the average person would need some economy packs of batteries (all sizes), 12 flashlights, 50 candles, 10 lighters, a month's worth of can goods, a shopping cart full of dry goods, a couple of shovels, 5 bags of ice melt and a new snow blower. :rolleyes:

I thought that it was the beer stores that got cleaned out prior to a major snow storm.

Hope for the Whites

I'm beginning to think that there is at least a little hope for the mtns. Still it looks like most of the snow will be in southeast new england, and the heavier bands should make it into southern NH. The track looks a little further north than what they were thinking originally, so maybe the southern whites can crank out several inches of fluff and then more snow after with upslope. Even if they don't get the quick heavy accumulation, in the end I think they will make out fairly well and the hiking conditions will improve markedly.

grouseking

Mattl said:
I never understood the notion of why people freak out and buy tons of supplies before a storm. -Mattl

Depends on what the supplies are. With a young child, it would certainly be nice to be able to keep her warm and fed for those two days. I can always heat up one of my camping meals, but if I don't have fresh water and food for her, it would be a very long (and irresponsible) two days.

dug said:
Depends on what the supplies are. With a young child, it would certainly be nice to be able to keep her warm and fed for those two days. I can always heat up one of my camping meals, but if I don't have fresh water and food for her, it would be a very long (and irresponsible) two days.
We've always kept 5 or 6 five gallon Crystal Rock water jugs in the house. When the kids were younger we always had some extra formula and diapers.
I am always prepared for at least several days in the real possibilty that the stores were closed/empty or we weren't able to get to one. But most people have that much stuff anyway.

Its funny, but I've been to stores the day before a huge snowstorm, but I never thought they were much busier than a normal day after rushhour. I worked at a supermarket for 3 years. The day before storms were always busy, but it was steady and never overwhelming. Maybe its because the media plays it up a little too much, or maybe its because I didn't work at a supermarket in Massachusetts. ;) Getting off topic sorry

As for the storm, I think the eastern Whites will get some appreciable snowfall out of this, plus the upslope at the end. But I know my town is forecasted for up to a foot, so I'm happy! Maybe someone on here might have noticed that the storm is coming together a little better and might nudge further north and west than originally thought, which of course means more snow for the north. Did anyone else see this...maybe I'm wrong.

grouseking

Once again the models have slightly come back, and it does look like the Whites will do pretty well. I would forecast about 4-8 right now, with less in the far northern Whites. Will see how that changes. -Mattl

Looks like Eastern New England to get the Lion's Share Sunday. Question for Northern NE & ME will be how long storm hangs around on Monday in the Gulf of ME.

I looked at a few interesting models this evening...maybe its cause its 2:30am, maybe its cause I saw the first flakes come down outside (although it hasnt really started yet) but I think this has the potential to be big even up north (think eastern whites and further east). Maybe I should get some sleep, but it's impossible for me because weather is the only thing i am more passionate about than hiking.

grouseking

pray for widespread 30 inches!

grouseking said:
Maybe I should get some sleep, but it's impossible for me because weather is the only thing i am more passionate about than hiking.

Maybe that's why I'm still awake too!! I just love a good storm!! :D

NYC got walloped and it's still coming down hard! I will be snowshoeing in Queens today - about the only feasible way I have of getting over to my recording studio while staying dry and comfortable....... I love to see the looks on peoples faces when I do this in my neighborhood! :D

Last edited:
I just heard on the news that Danvers, MA (about 15-20 miles north of Boston) had 18 inches of snow already and the heaviest snow hasn't yet arrived. It doesn't seem like we got more than a foot in Boxford (about 10 miles north of Danvers). Wonder if the person who measured the snow did it with an optimistic yard stick :confused:

Marty,

It's tough to measure this snow, since it drifts around so much. But it is very possible that 18 inches of snow has fallen in that town because there have been snow bands that have set up in some towns. I heard that the Hartford area has over a foot of snow already as well. Lots of times places just outside the heavy bands get dry slotted (which is happening right now along the I-495 corridor up to Lawrence) and snow amounts will be much less. Hopefully that isnt a trend and its just a minor setback and the snow will pick up even more when the storm draws closer this afternoon.

As for the north, I just talked to my friend in Plymouth, NH and he said there was almost an inch. I'd see east facing slopes will get the most snow in the north.

Could someone chime in who lives north of Plymouth...is it snowing...how hard...and how much?

grouseking

bout a half inch in concord nh..snow coming down sideways...kinda like pollen. a few days straight of this and we might get a few inches of snow